Thread: Halo 2
View Single Post
Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:52 AM   #47
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by SSSnake
First off Harry if you think the gameplay is linear you must not be a fan of FPS games.I'm more so trying to compare it to other FPS game not so much GTA MGS and Morrowind which you brought up.I played the best games, and yes there are some better than halo in some catagories,but as far as FPS games go some games don't compare.Some may say Deus Ex but please it has a lot of nice little RPG touches but it doesn't deliver the nice little FPS elements that I like,vehicles for one.Graphically it still is one of the best games i played.Go up and run around the levels for awhile and you'll notice the detail im rambling about.Plus the game was done great with the time that bungie had with it.Plus FPS games arent too built on story and if they are who really cares,your playing to blast shit,take TS2 now-great game- it doesnt focus to much on story yet it is critically acclaimed and labeled to be one of the best.Halo is for the people who want action and it delivers better than pretty much any game out.
I love FPS, I designed dozens and dozens of great customs levels for DOOM I and II, including a Batman patch that still makes me laugh when I think about it. And I don't need to be said why the graphics of the game are great.

The problem here is not best "FPS" of the year, it's "best game of the year" - it's a tad different. And while for you this might be the best genre around, the gaming industry has now more parameters, more things to take into consideration than when Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM I were released. Story development, complex game structures, artistic research - these are all things that are part of nowadays games, and Halo is not more brilliant than many other games in any of these points. It's good that you like classic FPS, straightforward all-action gaming fun over any other game type, but considering Halo "Game Of The Year" is , on my opinion, an enormous brainwashing advertising campaign.

Thankfully, there are also other sources in the industry, like the Game Developers, and for them, the game of the year - for game structure, realization, originality, and also artistic value - was Grand Theft Auto 3. I probably not agree completely, but that's a perfect and more than sensed choice, because if a game like Grand Theft Auto 3 teaches the future developers a sort of new way to structure and develop video games, Halo didn't add anything really new to the FPS genre.

And if you played Deus Ex maximizing Denton's brute force, you could have played it like any other FPS. It was up to you, you could create the game you wanted to play - and that's what I call freedom given to the fantasy of the player. And that's what I, and I'm sure, many of the readers of this website, like.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02457 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,910KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo