View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #11
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
I agree with what kupoartist and meryl have said here; I am absolutely excited about this game exactly for the reasons causing Meryl's fears. There is a great sense of finality in the trailer, a finality that reminds me a bit of Spielberg's Munich - some scenes of the trailer seem even to use the same image composition seen in some key scenes in Munich, and even the soundtrack reminded me the one written by John Williams for Spielberg's work. The sense of finality in this trailer is something that was also behind the MGS3 storyline. What I like the most about all the latest Metal Gear Solid games is how they actually speak of the present, of what is happening to the world right now.

It's surprising that Kojima is the only creator of a game series on warfare actually criticizing with such an incredible strength the U.S. way of using war (obviously shared by some of the most powerful countries in the world), trying to unravel the meaning of war in moder times; he is the only one truly speaking about the fact that soldiers (and civilians) are just tools in the hands of the governments. War is created for political and economical reasons, with the latter aspect becoming increasingly important; enemies are and will always be only enemies in relative terms, monsters fed to the public to create fear and ignorance. MGS3, but also MGS2, basically showed how heroes can become the bad guys, and vice versa, just because of political reasons that have nothing to do with morality. References to the Iraq war in MGS3 were amazing, something no other game has ever done before.

To me, it seems the sense of "finality" of this game is also caused by the fact Kojima is becoming more and more realistic (the advanced technologies used in his games are just a way to make them cooler and to hide the fact they are actually speaking of our present time) and more and more disillusioned, without ever abandoning hope. MGS games are unique because they talk about responsibility of the individual, about necessary moral choices that nowadays we have the tendency to avoid. That's what the shocking final bit of the first trailer is all about, in my opinion - moral choices must be made, if we want to give a better future to future generations, but also if we want to save our own soul.

Is Kojima becoming more and more militant? Even the strange artworks of the new MGS website seem to hint at this, and ho, ho, ho, I love it!

P.S. You can find a streaming version of the trailer on https://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2006/
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02783 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,906KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo