View Single Post
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #9
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
G Gundam? Not an anime I've watched, but I hear Gundam fans say it's inferior. You could always branch out from there... no brainer is to watch Gundam Seed (pretty good) and its sequel Gundam Seed Destiny (which is possibly the single most poorly composed 50 episode series I've ever seen, so on second thoughts... edit: no wait, that accolade belongs to ZZ Gundam...), but if you want to get adventureous you could give the original series a try. At the very least watch the First Gundam Movie trilogy so that Zeta Gundam will make sense for you... because Zeta Gundam is the be all and end all of Gundam . They're releasing 10 episodes to a volume in the US at the moment, meaning that it's incredibly cheap and probably worth a look. I'm also a big fan of Turn-A Gundam but most people's interest falls of when they realise that Syd Mead gave a Gundam a Moustache (heracy!) and that it's either something you gel with or simply find talky and boring... (and it's fansub only)

When you think about it, there's so much Gundam out there that you could pretty much fill up 2006 watching it all. I know I filled up 2005 watching most of it

Other suggestions... Paranoia Agent is great, but if you find psychological thriller type anime like Serial Experiments Lain a little pretenious, it may not be for you. It's about how the street-attack of a stressed, young office worker by a small child with a pair of golden roller-scates and a baseball bat develops into a city-wide hysteria. Darkly comic, scary and intriguing. Better than Lain IMO. Plus it's made by Satoshi Kon (Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers - all films worth seeing).

Escaflowne? Perhaps a little too girly... the first episode always seemed to be drenched in it. But it has some great action sequences and may just surprise you. Great Teacher Onizuka? I'm hardly a fan, but I've seen bits of both the Live action and Anime versions, and even read a Manga volume. The story of a pervert who gets a teaching job with a feel good centre? It's better than it sounds.
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02329 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,905KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo