View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #11
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta55
But is there actually any proof, or confirmation from Sony that they'll do that? Just because it’s possible doesn't exactly mean they'll do it. The latest 360's that come out don't have any backwards compatible Xbox title updates added to the system or the console updates either, you still have to go online and download them regardless of how old or new the 360 you bought is. I'm not trying to sound hateful of Sony or belittle your opinion, but there are many obvious things game companies should do but never follow-up on. The only thing I've heard on the issue is that the box for the 80GB PS3 says "limited connectivity with PS2 and PS1 games" which more then likely still implies having to go download more firmware updates.
Well I have not really searched for much information on the software concept on the North American Release of the product. But if the 100's of European websites stating that over 1700 games are playable via the software package that was used since their launch in March that I am more then confident you have nothing to worry about. Why would they make it work in Europe and say tough luck North America.

Quote:
Renting games to get new updates again may not sound worth it to people, renting a game on average is eight to nine dollars and some might not want to spend that money on a game they don't care about for a firmware update.
I was not saying you should go out and get a game just to get the latest firmware. The firmware is not required to play all the games and you don't need to update your machine unless the game requires it. If the game requires it, it will have the update. I am simply saying that its not required for you to have your PS3 connected to the internet. I have not had mine connected yet. It was simply a suggestion to what you could do if you Had to have the latest update for some reason. I rent games before I buy them, it has saved me hundreds of $ so I tend to get the updates from those with the acception of the games I purchase. Plus if you know a friend that got the latest update from a game, just borrow it and there you go.

Quote:
There is still the issue of the 600$ price tag, bundled with a game that is not worth it unless you absolutely love racing titles. I'm pretty sure they will lower it, but that could take a while to finally happen. But adding a bigger hardrive and not voiding the warranty is a big plus. I don't see where I'll need one since 60GB is big enough for me but it is a nice idea.
The idea of switching to the software system is really in the end to cut costs. I don't think we will see the savings right away but the software concept is much cheaper then the emulation chip manufacturing costs. This was stated prior to the European release of the PS3 that never received the emulation chip. With the loss of so much money on each PS3 system for sony even at a $600 price tag, I don't see an immediate price drop for the software system, but in the end will bring the gamers big savings...at least i hope.

Quote:
But if the newest PS3 does come with the firmware updates then I’ll gladly bow out, but I still haven’t heard any surefire proof on this matter. But even if it does the 60GB price drop is still the better option, Sony might drag the price out on their 80GB for a while and some really good games are just a few months away.
This was a hugely debated topic in Europe prior to the release of the PS3 because they thought they were being screwed over by sony and not going to be able to play PS1 and PS2 games. I am not sure what proof you want to see exactly, but I will keep my eye out for anything specific. I can't say we will know for sure what will work and wont work until the actual North American release, but if the 1700+ working launch titles in Europe doesn't set your mind at ease, I don't know if a quote from Sony's president will either. Please note that there are only 2500 or so titles for the PS2 available and some of those are multi release of different games (greatest hits versions, Anniversary titles, Collectors Editions)

I really don't think there is anything to worry about when it comes to this software idea. I mean its just new technology and its true that people are afraid of new concepts if they are not proven to work right away. However we know this system does work as its been in Europe for about 6 months. Just have to wait and see what sort of changes will take place from the PAL versions to the NTSC.

The Magic Is Coming!

Last edited by jjmoohead; Jul 30th, 2007 at 10:23 AM..
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05261 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,928KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo