View Single Post
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Beretta55
Reached for the sky

Beretta55 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
Yeah, it does happen rather frequently. At times it can be forgiven but not in this case. For something like DMC, I personally feel like it makes no sense to have a little girl/sister character in it. What could be gained from something like that? To show that Dante really isn't just a demon killer with no heart? His flirtatious manner and aloof personality was already shown in the games so from that we already know he's not some merciless killer...so why bother with the girl?

Sifting through information, it seems the VA for Dante in DMC3 was either a guy named Dave Wittenburg or Reuben Langdon. The former has done anime work so perhaps they may use him.
I find that quite a bit of anime is predictable and does a lot of "staple things" even if it isn't really necessary or in the case of DMC when it was never really present or needed. I guess they did it to pander to people who haven't played the game and feel "adding the chilluns makes everything betta" or something.

I mean perhaps the little girl won't be around the entire series, I mean we've only seen one episode and he is protecting her as part of a job. So perhaps when the job is done we'll never see her again or at the very least not in the capacity of a side kick tag-along. I also see Dante as not the best guy to be around a child personally. Not that he would do something weird, the guy constantly fights demons, isn't really going to get that Good Samaritan award and is kind of a dick.

Knowing most anime though, they'll find anyway to stick in weak or children characters with somebody strong and the strong ones always come through in the end. I just don't see Dante doing that, I mean the guy would not sacrifice a Childs life for job means or personal gain probably but he's not a real chivalrous guy and is more of a "a man is an island" type of guy. So I hope they don't cheese him up and make him a knight in shining armor who also acts anti-heroish since that cliché’s gets old when constantly done.

According to Internet Movie Database, Dante in DMC3 was indeed played by Reuben Langdon. Another interesting thing is that he is supposedly going to play Dante again in DMC4. I'm hoping they bring in Drew Coombs to play Dante in the anime for the dub. He is the voice actor for Dante in DMC1 and from what I've seen it is the Dante from DMC1 they are basing the series around. Drew was still cocky but he was a bit more mature and deliberate and wasn't as much as a "whatever, dude" that Dante from DMC3 was. Which that type of voice and inflection wouldn't feel right for me for the anime.

Last edited by Beretta55; Sep 15th, 2007 at 06:58 AM..
Beretta55 is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.03146 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,910KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo