View Single Post
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #1
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down SSX Blur....of mess!

I know this review is a bit late but I had only just played the game yesterday. I've heard lots of complaints about it but I decided to give it a try anyway...which I now regret.

I was really hoping to like the game because I'm a fan of the SSX series except for the last one "SSX On Tour." Unfortunately, "Blur" took everything that I hated about "On Tour" and implemented the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. There's a good and bad side to this.

Good: Interesting use of the Nunchuck and Remote. You use the nunchuck to move your character, everything from accelerating to jumping to balancing. The remote controls all the tricks and other things, like scooping up snowballs with the B button and shaking the remote to toss it. All of this is pretty great and it takes a few minutes of practice to get the hang of it but otherwise, it's fluid.

Bad: Doing UberTricks with the remote. A key element of the series are these tricks and the game completely ruins it. To perform UberTricks, you have to use the remote (and sometimes the nunchuck) to draw out the shapes shown onscreen. Sounds so easy but when the shape icon is the size of a penny, it's not. Also, the shapes are genuinely stupid: a tidal wave? A heart? Some kind of shape resembling a sideways pi sign? Drawing these shapes out made me look like a mime gone insane. Not to mention that the shapes don't even register when you attempt it. Real helpful when you want to, oh I dunno, boost up your score.

Also, the whole "hip look" they were going for in "On Tour" has returned except ten-times worse. I loved the mature, sophisticated look everyone had in the first few SSXs. But "On Tour" made them "too cool for school" thus everyone ended up looking like a bunch of high school losers. Now, they all look like really ugly junior high schoolers. I couldn't even tell half of the characters anymore because they all looked so stupid. Oh and guess what they named the Latin-American/Mayan-looking girl? Maya, of course! Pure genius there.

Graphics and effects were nothing special...nothing that couldn't be done on the GC or the PS2. And the snow that covers your character when you wipe out looks so sadly fake it's scary...it looks like the snow was painted on.

I couldn't bother to play with the game longer than an hour because I was so disgusted. If you haven't played it yet or are contemplating to do so, I wouldn't recommend it.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02415 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,912KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start