View Single Post
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM   #10
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
See at one time I would agree with you that the English language is easy to point out, until having lived there myself. Canada/America is so close that you really couldnt point it out unless you asked is to say certain words. And to say all of us say the word "out" is a little stereotypical, even if I am guilty of it.

When I lived in England I was ALWAYS thought to be from USA. I was forever having to tell people I was Canadian. You may have a benifit from being in a area thats highly visited by people all over the world (I have been there myself), but what about the people who have never even been out of their state or province in North America. It doesn't make them not care about the rest of the world, but it may be the simple fact that they can't afford to go anywhere. I recently took a friend of mine on an 8 hour drive into the USA from where I am to Minnisota...it was his first time out of Canada or North Dakota his entire life and hes 25. It wasn't cause he didn't want to go, but because he came from a large family and was out on his own at an early age. A trip to England or Amsterdam would never be on his mind cause its just not something that he can put his mind around.

Anyway, picking out different forms of english dialect is not that simple. And i still say that if you put all those people in a room, you would have a hard time and in some cases you would make a 50/50 guess (especially between the Amercian and myself and more so if the American was from North Central USA.

As for other languages, yes I had to take French growing up and there was not other options at that time. I believe there are others in some other schools. Once I reached highschool there was no manditory French classes however. Just cause i didn't take other languages doesn't mean I don't care about them, and the same can be said about the people that might come across as not caring. I have always wanted to learn Japanise, but there has not been a medium for which allowed me to do that. Sometimes the people that "don't care" just don't have the options to learn. Yes I could learn from a tape or CD or something, but my learning style is hands on, doing things not reading or listening. Damn you 6 learning styles, why can't you be more like 1 giant learning style.

The Magic Is Coming!
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.02909 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,902KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end