View Single Post
Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:45 PM   #4
RexNorton
Renegade

RexNorton is on a distinguished road
Later on in the game, we encounter a very different Sephiroth in the Temple of Ancients. It is in this encounter that Sephiroth reveals his plan to become a God, hence this exchange..
Sephiroth: "Look well."
Cloud: "At what!?"
Sephiroth: "At that which adds to the knowledge of (he pauses)... I am becoming one with the planet. Mother..... it's almost time.... Soon..... we will become one."
Aeris: "How do you intend to become one with the planet?"
Sephiroth: "It's simple. Once the planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury. ...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha ha ha. And at the center of that injury, will be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the planet, I will become a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the planet... I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every soul.
Aeris: "An injury powerful enough to destroy the Planet? Injure... the Planet?"
Sephiroth: "Behold that mural. The Ultimate Destructive Magic... Meteor."
He takes off, telling Cloud to "Wake up!!" Aeris reveals that Meteor is a magical force, which propels through space, finding small planets and crashing into them, thus destroying them. Cloud goes to the mural and begins to freak out again, his hands covered over his head, his spirit visibly being removed from his body, symbolizing how disconnected from reality Cloud is. Afterwards, the group comprises a plan to get the Black Materia out of the Temple of Ancients. They succeed but Sephiroth shows up and steals it from them, through his manipulation of Cloud, then forcing Cloud to attack Aeris.

Cloud goes blank and wakes up in a dream, with Aeris speaking to him through some sort of telepathy in this exchange..
Aeris: "Cloud, can you hear me?"
Cloud: "Yeah, I hear you. Sorry for what happened."
Aeris: "Don't worry about it."
Cloud: "...I can't help it..."
Aeris: "Oh... Then, why don't you REALLY worry about it? And let me handle Sephiroth. And Cloud, you take care of yourself. So you don't have a breakdown, okay?"
Good old, Aeris. She's running in to certain death and she still has that spark of optimism, which permits her to joke about what things that really aren't very funny. But this exchange is really interesting because it is one of the main dialogues that presents the nature of the relationship between Cloud and Aeris. When Aeris and Cloud are on the Gondola in the Gold Saucer she has this exchange with Cloud..

Aeris: "......first off, it bothered me how you looked exactly alike. Two completely different people, but look exactly the same. The way you walk, gesture... I think I must have seen him again, in you... But, you're different. Things are different... Cloud... I'm searching for you."
Cloud: "... ?"
Aeris: "I want to meet you."
Cloud: "But I'm right here."
Aeris: "I know, I know... what I mean is... I want to meet... you."
We already know about Aeris' lost love and that his name was Zack and he was a member of SOLDIER. Yet Cloud, when asked by Aeris in Midgar, remembers nothing about Zack. Later on in the game, however, we found out the Zack was the actual member of SOLDIER who was at Nibelheim and Cloud was just one of the low ranking members. Cloud was totally confused by his subsequent infusion of Mako and Jenova cells, done by Hojo and it is over half way through the game before he pieces his reality together. Yet Aeris sees that Cloud is not all himself ("I'm searching for you."). She sees his apparent similarities to Zack and knows that something is not right. Aeris is Clouds connection with his present. Tifa is his connection with his past, as revealed through her knowledge of the events of Nibelheim and her disclosure of them to him in the Lifestream.
This is the most of apparent of three character triangles, each involving Cloud and Aeris, that appear in the game. There exists another one between Cloud, Aeris, and Zack. There is also a third triangle within the game that we will explore.

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04161 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,895KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below