Thread: Thank you Sony
View Single Post
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM   #3
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
I think I see two sides to this argument which I'll detail below:

First, this is incredibly wrong on Sony's part...not only have they delayed the release but they just added more fuel to the fire. A lot of people who dislike using multiple consoles to play old games (unless it's an absolute must, like PS1's MGS which couldn't be played all the way on the PS2) would prefer to have, in this case, the PS3 to play all the PS1 and PS2 games. No fuss, no mess. Also with the high price, it should be essential that the thing grant some "reward" to the consumer and one of these rewards should be the backward compatibility.

However, it can be argued that this issue isn't really a "huge" one considering that people may not go back to playing a lot of PS2 games once the PS3's game roster is underway. Not that I'm defending for Sony but like with me, I haven't really played much of my PS1 games ever since the PS2 came out (with the exception of MGS, FFVII, and a few others and for these, I play them on the PS1). Of course, the PS2 does have quite a lot of great games, such as "ICO," "Shadow of the Colossus," "DMC" series, "MGS" series, "Okami", etc...

...But then again, in this article I found (which I don't know if it's legit), it said the "limited" titles should be around 1,000. When I did some research on Wikipedia (yes I know Wikipedia is not a legit source either) under PlayStation 2, the European PS2 list was at 2,308. It is pretty crappy that half of the games won't be compatible but I'm thinking that a majority of the games that will be will be the hit titles. But I'm probably wrong because for all I know, the hit titles over there could not be the same ones over here. But all I'm saying is that a lot of the popular games might be taken into consideration while some of the not so good games will be, sadly, left behind.

Also in the article, they said something about a faster price drop for Europe now that the Emotion Engine chip isn't there. I'm not saying that totally makes up for everything but this may be great news for other people.

All that I said is speculation. The list of compatible games TBA on March 23 might probably shorten...and that will be even worse and anger-inducing news. And hell, even the so-claimed "price drop" may be a scam too. But truth be told, this is really bad news for PAL residents and I'm very sorry to hear about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamer
i have yet to hear a good thing about the ps3, seriously, at least one good thing worth mentioning.
Hm....how about it being region-free, lol? I know that may not be a great thing but for importers like me this is a blessing.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

Last edited by merylsilverburg; Mar 1st, 2007 at 09:39 PM..
merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.03534 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,917KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo