View Single Post
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 08:29 PM   #11
Preventer Wind

Preventer Wind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To begin with, SARS is a mutant virus that could've been created anywhere. It only happened to be in Hong Kong and the people just came over to the US and spread it around. But they didn't realize that this was some new virus.
Totally right, it could have started anywhere but China happened to be the first place multiple cases were found. I don't know if the US has had a victim because I haven't paid all that much attention to it. I know some people are afraid to fly and go to Canada now but I wouldn't have a problem traveling or importing anything though. Heck, if plane tickets have gone down a lot I wouldn't mind flying over to China.

Quote:
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
Yes, I believe that too. This SARS is just more worse than a common cold...and colds are spread people to people, not packages or items or anything. But if people don't feel comfortable ordering or getting stuff from Asian countries, then that's fine, it's understandable. The sad thing is that people who don't believe that you can catch SARS from packages aren't able to order anymore goodies/CDs/DVDs from Asian countries for a while, like Fortune. And on Ebay, people are refusing to bid on stuff with the "Location" being in an Asian country. And I'm pretty sure that Asians living in the US won't be able to do the same, only because they're Asians. I want to sell an item on Ebay, but I'm afraid that people will back out once they learn that I'm an Asian seller
I think the problem with it is that it has the highest known deathrate among discovered viruses (At least it was). Though there haven't been tons of cases it could slowly work up and up and up.

Quote:
My wife says they are offering nurses $100 an hour to come to Ontario to care for SARS patients. I guess some nurses up there have been walking out.
WOW! That's a lot of money. She could make $4,000.00 a week (normal shift work without taxes) and that's $208,000.00 a year! I would do it if I was a nurse.

I know that on Tuesday the Toronto Blue Jays are selling tickets for onlt $1.00. I guess some company bought all the tickets and are reselling them to get people to come to their games. Though their attendance has not slipped any since the outbreak.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fortune
This makes you wonder how comes that this time is China to suffer from all this, mainly... Asian products are sold all over the world and their prices are usually extremely low compared to the ones of Western products (we're speaking of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and similar, Japan is apparently not involved), and now, with SARS (aguess what? a modified virus), their economy will be somewhat damaged, at least for the present moment.. hmmm... hmmm... coincidences.
I would rather not talk about any conspiracies....but it is possible. And it would be totally wrong if it was true. Maybe the US has a cure and they want to go in with it to show how humane they are and that they are the most advanced country in the world. Or maybe they want Americans to start buying more domestic things. Maybe it was an Iraqi attack? I don't believe in any of them...but it is still a possibility.

Quote:
Ironically, if this virus was started in the US or something, it'll be totally acceptable and no one would say anything.
True. The US does have a nasty problem with STDs...though not a lot of people realize this. But I think the US has had it's share of epidemics in the past and they were criticized.

"Know thy enemy and know thy self,"
"Find naught to fear in 100 battles."
"Know not thy enemy, but know thy self,"
"Find victory and defeat in equal measure"
"Know thy enemy, but know not thy self,"
"Find defeat in every battle."

Sun Tzu
Preventer Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.03414 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,907KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)