View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:31 PM   #14
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Everyone mostly listed off all the good animes out there already and the ones that CC listed should be a good start for you Chara.

As for Kenshin info, it was released in 1996 and there's 95 episodes (the 95th is a secret episode that was only released on VHS in Japan). There are a total of 6 OVAs: 4 episodes dedicated to Kenshin's past and the other 2 dedicated to the true ending of this saga. OVA 1 (released around 1997/1998 in Japan) are the ones released in the US already: Trust and Betrayal. OVA 2 was released in Japan in 2002 so it's not out in the US yet (and it might not make it to the US, I'm not sure).
There is a movie called Samurai X: The Movie and like Suzuki said, it's just an independent plot and has nothing to do with the main story.
Just a warning: if you're able to get fansubbed animes, do not watch OVA 2 (Seisou-hen or The Finale) of Kenshin unless you've finished watching the TV or finished reading the manga. It'll just spoil everything.

And like ZeroSniper said, NOIR and Beserk are pretty good and you don't have to look for NOIR fansubbed anymore since it's about to be released in the US. Some other animes/movies I'd recommend:

Gensomaden Saiyuki: If you know the story of the Chinese tale, The Monkey King, then you would like this series. Yes, I admit, some of the CG used in it can look awkward, but the story is overall pretty good. The story is about this priest named Genjo Sanzo, who has to go on a journey to rid of the world these Demons that are infesting the world. He has three companions who are supposed to protect him: Son Goku, Cho Hakkai, and Sha Gojyo. In the real story of the Monkey King, the priest is supposed to just...be all holy and stuff and his three companions do all the protecting and fighting. In this anime, however, Sanzo is a priest who gambles, curses, uses a gun, drinks and all the stuff that a regular priest shouldn't do. Son Goku is the "monkey" of the real story. Ah, yes it seems confusing, but give it a try anyway.

Perfect Blue: This movie is just great. A psychological tale of the hidden side of an idol's life....it's dark and suspenseful. I don't remember too much of it (it's been a while) but I remember that it gave me creeps and chills. Or that could just be me. If someone here remembers the story, they can help you more than me.

Spirited Away: Argh, I haven't been able to see this yet (and it's sitting in front of my TV -_-;; but I heard it's terrific. Apparently, it's even better than Miyazaki-sensei's previous movie, Princess Mononoke. I wish I can give you more information on the story, but if someone here has seen it, then they'll be able to help.

Witch Hunter Robin: Okay, this anime isn't licensed yet but from the first episode I've seen, it's good! A Gothic-ish anime that deals with a company who rids the streets of vampires, witches, ghouls (almost like Hellsing, but not). The main character is a girl name Robin who uses sunglasses to help her. Sounds weird, but it's not bad.

HeatGuy-J: Ahh...if anyone wants an anime that's slightly similar to Cowboy Bebop, then this anime is recommended. It's actually one of my favorites so far. Too bad this isn't licensed in the US, but once it is, I'll let you guys know. This anime is about this special department detective Daisuke Aurora who has a partner name J (or Jay) who is a robot. A robot dressed and made to look like a human. From the episodes I've seen, the storys vary but it's focused on this clan of "Vampires" with the head master being a young teenage boy. His father recently died and left him in charge. The boy is basically a psycho and one of those I-wish-I-can-beat-him-to-a-bloody-pulp type guys. This, of course, is just one of the main stories. The other part of the story will focus on Daisuke's past. Of course, that's not revealed yet. So you can see why this is almost like CB...the setting takes place in the future. Just think of this as the movie, Bladerunner.

I have a whole bunch of other animes that I'd like to list, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to download or buy any of these animes. These are the ones that are pretty much licensed in the US, (except "Witch Hunter Robin" and "HeatGuy-J") so they're easily accessable. I hope this helps a little.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.89877 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,927KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start