View Single Post
Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:37 PM   #11
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
Quote:
Yes, I blame Cobain for what he helped create. Cobain created primarily lyrical songs - he expressed his emotions through his lyrics and song dynamics. In terms of pure technical ability, he is way down the list. But song-writing is not simply about technique - it's about connecting with your listener - which is something he excelled at. However, as a result there were too many 'clones' who thought they could do the same thing - which meant we were bombarded with simple repetitive guitar playing with inane thoughtless lyrics slapped on top. These Nirvana wannabees totally missed the point of his music. Without Cobain, there wouldn't have been all these poor imitators.
Blame the clones then, not the original. It's like saying you hate Beatles because you hate many of their terrible clones (edit: ooops, you did that), or that you hate Beethoven for its influence over the musicians that followed him and copied ungracefully his style. It doesn't make any sense at all.

Quote:
A lot of hard rock guys do hate Cobain - however I'm not one of them. I understand what he did, I connected with his stuff. The first time I heard Teen Spirit I was captivated - although not as much as others were. It was fresh, it was new, it was exciting - but then came Epsiode II - Attack of the Clones....
That was impossible to be seen from your post. What I didn't like was the the cynism with which you blamed Cobain, not your personal opinions; I completely respect an opinion when it comes in the form Mercury Shadow expressed it (leaving aside that lame referred to a poor barré chord ).

Quote:
I was there when Nirvana happened. I was 17/18 when they broke out big time. I listened and I liked. I heard what happened afterwards, and how those who didn't understand tried to ride his coat-tails. No one can ever say I didn't listen to Nirvana - I was his target audience. I was there for the rise of grunge, and I was there for the fall of it. How many Nirvana 'fans' can say that? I am merely speaking from experience.
Again, in your post all this was was completely hidden. If you loved Nirvana, or any other band, why should you talk of them in a way they don't deserve?

Quote:
And as for ignorance, that's a pathetic statement to make. I don't know how old people are on these boards, but I lived through the grunge era. Whilst a lot of Nirvana fans were still too young to even go to school, I was in rock clubs dancing to Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden et al. I take great offence at those charges of ignorance and cowardice. I saw firsthand how his music affected my friends - and I saw their anger at those who diluted his legacy. I saw my friends cry when he died, yet saw those same people take comfort in his music.
I respect your personal experience, but the ignorance in your post was in blaming an artist for a whole style that then was created around that artist. It's exactly like blaming Monet because painters fascinated by his style started to care less about shapes and geometry and more about the suggestion of colors. It doesn't make any sense at all to me, am I wrong?

I wasn't speaking of ignorance in terms of opinions or knowledge.

Quote:
But this thread was about Guitar Heroes, not [i]Song Heroes.
I not agree with you when you say we can't consider Cobain a guitarist; he was the only guitar in his band for a long time, and I consider a real guitarist every player who create his style of playing. The ones who just follow the rules of technique and never experiment, are just performers for me, but I guess this is a matter of personal priorities. There are so many post-Cobain guitar heroes

Anyhow, accepting that Cobain was a song writer and not a guitarist, this should be one more reason for you to not blame him for the influence he had on guitarists. Again, am I wrong?

Quote:
To say I'm disappointed at some of the comments made would be an understand. I did not realise that posting an opinion that may not be in the majority would be wrong. To be told I know nothing, am ignorant and a coward is frankly disappointing - especially given who voiced those accusations.
The statement was coward, because Cobain is one of the few not constructed rock heroes in a long time, and because his creative process came to a premature end.

I didn't say you know nothing - I know nothing myself so I can't say that to you. I repeat, I didn't like the tone of your statement. Nirvana's music is so genuine, sincere, that I just can't accept the cynic attack you made. I would have understood if you attacked a band that was dishonest with its fans, but not Nirvana, please. If I was too passionate, forget about it. I guess you noticed I don't post often, and there is a reason I couldn't resist this time. I think you can understand how important bands and artists can be for a person.

Quote:
Is it really so wrong to want that, even if it's just once? Is it so wrong to want a new guitar hero?
No it isn't. But as Faile said, you must understand that there are guitar heroes; simply, you don't like that kind of guitar hero.

I hope I was logical enough this time.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.70164 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,929KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end