View Single Post
Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:04 PM   #6
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
My dear S,

this is probably the only post from the beginning of this forums that made me, well, let's say it, furious.

You blame Kurt Cobain for what? Because finally, after years and years of music made of guitar solos that were just there to show how technically good was a band, someone was able to really express his inner self without pretending of being adored as a guitar god. And all this hate towards Cobain of all those hard-rock metal guys are so pointless; if there is one humble personality in the history of rock music that is Cobain.
He never wanted to be a mentor, a guide - he felt like he was there by chance, for a strange destiny, in the same spot of the charts where a macho band like Guns'n Roses used to be. Looking back at his songs, after ten years, you can still feel his rage, his love, his loneliness, that loneliness that each of us has inside, the loneliness that made this life terrible and terribly beautiful, but that Van Halen is so unable to express with his memorable solos. If there is a music that stays there, in all its nude sincerity, and that can teach our god-like star system (that affects also the supposedly alternative word of metal bands) something, that is the music of Nirvana. Unique, unrepeatable, pure in its simplicity yet so full of a thing that artists seem to forget: humanity.

And saying that Kurt Cobain wasn't a great guitarists is non-sense. He had his unique style, then copied by thousands - he was all in one with his guitar, and he was one of the most impressive noise guitarists of all times. Thurston Moore, also on my opinion the greatest guitarist of our time and one of the most open minded artists in the music industry, was fascinated by Cobain's style, and not by chance.

Is it possible that all those songs say nothing to you? Did you actually listen All Apologies, Heart Shaped Box, Something in The Way? Van Hallen? Steve Vai? Joe Satriani (oh, how many memorable songs we all remember of this great artist, I sing them all in my head, every day)? Great guitarists, poor artists.

S, you could have said anything about any other guitarists, but you hit Cobain, and that's coward and - can I say that? - ignorant.

Thanks Cobain, thanks Nirvana.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.03126 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,902KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end