Thread: War
View Single Post
Old Jan 29th, 2002, 12:27 PM   #5
Spank-A-Thon
Carpe Diem Baby!

Spank-A-Thon is on a distinguished road
Firstly, North America got one hell of a wake-up call by September 11th. For the first time in living memory, North America was attacked. Sure, Americans have had Vietnam but that wasn't on their own doorstep.

We in the UK had the Falklands War as our last 'proper' war (I'm not really counting the Gulf War in all of this) which again was not on our doorstep. Previous to that, obviously, was World War II.

Don't get me wrong, what happened on September 11th was truly horrific. Many times I found myself stifling tears when reading/watching news about the event. But compared to what my grandparent's went through during WWII it is not as frightening I think.

Many cities in the UK were completely flattened by the German Blitz's. Children were forced to evacuate to the countryside. People would go to bed, only daring to half sleep in case the air raid warnings would start. It wasn't a question of 'if' it would happen again, it was 'when'. Many German cities suffered too. Basically any sense of normality was destroyed - people couldn't live normal lives. There was conscription to the armies, food and clothes rationed and the constant fear of the air raid sirens.

During WWII the US was pretty safe, in fact the US mainland was never attacked directly. However, as weapons technology has improved exponentially, the American people now realise they are just as vulnerable as Europe. And in these days of biological, chemical and nuclear weapons, the consequences of a third world war could be potentially disasterous for the human race. That, in my eyes, is what is even more terrifying about September 11th - it could have been (and maybe still could be) the catalyst that sparks WWIII.

In terms of it being a terrorist attack, although the death toll was catastrophic, it is something that has to be dealt with. For as long as I can remember the UK has been at threat from terrorism all my life by the IRA. There has been many terrorist attacks over the past 20-30 years, and many people have died. Spain is continuously under terrorist threat. Although I can't remember the groups' name right now, they have used a couple of car bombs so far this year.

The important thing to remember is to never give in to terrorism - never let it compromise your life if you can. Never say to yourself, 'I'm not flying there in case something happens'. Because that's how terrorists win - by affecting your life.

War is not good, cool or great no matter how Hollywood may glamourise it. I don't know how I would deal with a war if it broke out. I'd be scared for sure. Angry maybe. But I refuse to let terrorists scare me. War - yes. Cowardly, fanatical terrorism - never!

- S
Spank-A-Thon is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.43446 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,887KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end