Thread: Best fps
View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2002, 02:46 PM   #8
kupoartist
.illustrated.thingy.

kupoartist is on a distinguished road
Oooohhhh shooting...
anyways... FPS always used to be occupying my whole time. then It was RPGs. Currently i'm doing absolutely nothing gaming wise but what the hey...

So many too name, but I have trouble naming the best one, because there are so many sub-genre thingys... So I'll try to name them instead.

Best Single Player "Vanilla" FPS:
I'm gonna say Half-Life. It kept me from being strange for a week or so, and I was simply amazed at every aspect. True the "wow" factor has gone now, but I still look fondly upon my encounter with the Gonarch. Not everyday you get to fire rockets at a very large scrotum....
(Of course as i dont play so much of these nowadays i've missed out on MOH : Allied Assault. but hey i'll live!)

Best Multiplayer FPS:
A hard one this. Theres only two ways to go IMO so i'll go both:
In terms of Team work and interacting with people you know Unreal Tournament Wins.
Quake 3 come a distant second, but is highly notable for its far better deathmatch options. Because lets face it; the majority of people who play Q3 reguarly are all SO anyoying that you want to kill not work with them ^_^

Best use of FPS view:
Otherwise known as the catagory in which I get an excuse to say "System Shock 2 was always better than Deus Ex you stoopid people.". It was far more interative, meaning there were thousands of things for you to do, also it was a clever "freedom on rails" type structure, in that you could return to places several hours on the game and open up new areas, if you so desired (the lack of interactivity marks deus ex way down. DE ends up being about a bunch of people all talking in you head about stuff that you start to lose interest in.).
It had a cool villan (SHODAN - One of only 2 Computers I can think of that seems to have a sex change - though i think that was a storyline error ) and a great storyline.
It also had the best atmosphere I've ever seen In a game. The shocking tales you hear of what happned before your arrival are recorded in audio-logs, that somehow scare the poop out of you. The Hybrid Anelid-Human thingys make awful groanings and beg you to kill them. The Cyborg Midwives make a sound like nails scratching a blackboard when you kill them. And the Maintanance Bots mince around, advise you on your shopping in a camp voice, then explode in your face. The general darkness and sparse use of sound are excellent. I played it in the dark and nearly suffered a seizure (well... nearly ^_^)

uhm... sorry what were we talking about again...

(I love Shock2 BTW )

Edit: The next big things will be Unreal 2 and Unreal Tournament 2003 by the way
kupoartist is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.61269 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,910KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo