View Single Post
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Harry
Administrator

Harry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud ofHarry has much to be proud of
I have also never been into his music, but I am also one of the few that did not believe the accusations behind the trial that probably marked the end of his career.

I personally hate most of the music of the 80s (yes, with some big exceptions, that I learned to like only recently), but I have always said that, among the stuff that was out there, his music was among the best, considered into its genre. As Pu said, MJ represented a type of iconic pop heroes that seem to be destined to be no more. The democracy of the Net has given space to independent bands, new temporary icons are born overnight and disappear the next day, and this freedom is something wonderful, that the artists (but maybe not the industry) has been waiting for a long time.

Yet, there is something fascinating, sad because naive, and lonely, in artists that were able (or were forced) to become something so disproportionately "bigger", something that goes beyond the reasonable limits of a single human being. And god, if there is one thing that a lot of new bands seem to have forgotten is that pop music gives you the additional fun (and creative layer) of creating a character around yourself, with no need of compromising the honesty of your music because of it.

To me, MJ always seemed to have the aura of a very sad and distorted Disney, a mixture of Citizen Kane and a twisted Tim Burton's character.

He was a bit like the sad feeling I occasionally get when I go to a place like Disneyland. I know it is all fake, I know it is all made of plastic, I know it is all a money making machine: yet the original idea behind it all - building a fantasy world better than the real world - is desperate and human. To the point of giving the whole experience improbable and twisted honesty and romanticism.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.35786 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,905KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo