View Single Post
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #8
merylsilverburg
Enemy or Ally?

merylsilverburg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panuru
Yes, the movie won also for the screenplay, and it wasn't the "original screenplay"
Ah, you're right, that's my mistake, sorry about that.

Quote:
I think the movies have different approach, focuses and style, also when it comes to scenes that may look like simple translations from a version to the other. They also use violence and dialogues in a different way, even when lines are more or less the same. I disagree with the opinion the remake is "flashy". In fact, it isn't very flashy IMO. Especially for being an Hollywood movie. I actually find the original to be "flashier" than the remake, but "flashy" in this case doesn't have anything to do with subtleness.
Well then I guess the scene-to-scene comments I read elsewhere were from bitter fans because I was only not happy when I thought the remake displayed exact same scenes and dialogue. Also, I might've been misleading when I used flashy: I didn't mean regarding the visuals or sets because the improved look is a given when it comes to remakes. But what I really meant by flashy was over-dramatized (I believe I mentioned this somewhere in another thread). To me, it seemed the improvements on the film made this remake (and the feel) seem much more overdramatic than the subtleness that, in my eyes, I saw in the original; but this may not be the case. And yes I know: I don't have the right to accuse the film of such things since I didn't see it. But I will watch it (bearing through DiCaprio) just so I can see for myself whether the film is good or bad or how it compares.

Quote:
This said, it doesn't mean one movie has to be considered worse and the other better. I think when you have remakes from Asian to Western, the gap is so huge you should not make real comparisons.
I know you are also one of those people who dislike remakes for the sake that they always turn out pretty awful, especially Asian remakes; but I don't know if you compare the remake with the original then rate it or if you judge the remake based on its sole form. But, sadly, I can't excuse my own methods: I do compare. An example would be "Ringu." Now again, I didn't see the remake but just from trailers and clips, "The Ring" seemed too focused on visuals which lost the feel/build-up of the original (others may disagree). Now if I were to judge the remake alone, I'd still say that it's pretty bad because of the overly descriptive visuals, the actors (not a Naomi Watts fan), and just the overall unbelievable feeling.

With all this, I'm not saying that all remakes are bad...if the remake is better then I'm perfectly okay with it; even if it copies certain scenes from the original or change certain things...unless it's really drastic and uncalled for.

I'm sorry for straying off the original topic, I didn't mean to.

"Have a little priest" ~ Mrs. Lovett

"Grim Reaper, you could not get the women? What was the problem? Didn't you reap them with your grim reaping equipment?"

"I tried that but the women, they all know hopscotch" ~ Eddie Izzard

You Can Help

merylsilverburg is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.50409 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,922KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start