View Single Post
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:58 AM   #32
jjmoohead
MAGIC MONKEY

jjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished roadjjmoohead is on a distinguished road
Yes I will check that out for you tomorrow, my roomate has all the old PS2 games in his room at the moment and hes sleeping..sigh.

Here is what I am hearing though, without my own personal tests.

The PS3 plays more then the Majority of PS1 and PS2 games. At the last report I heard there was 189 titles out of the 8000+ games available for the PS1 and PS2 that have some sort of issue as to what makes the game less enjoyable. That being said, it doesn't nessessarily mean you can't play it, but means there might be some kind of issue in gameplay.

A couple noteables is Tekken 5 where the screen may freeze during the demo, but this is not on all occasions. Also Final Fantasy XI i believe won't work because the HDD upgrade for the PS2 is a different format then the PS3, but there are plans to fix this on an updated software release that you can download easily with your PS3 or pick up the update disc. This is also to be noted that any games that were HDD compatable with PS3 wont use HDD on PS3. Socom3 for example says "unable to preform intended HDD functionality." I don't know if this means you can't save or that you can't preform certain things you were able to do with the HDD. I have an unopen copy of Socom3, I will test that out tomorrow aswell.

Other problems include, none compaitable controller types, like Guitar Hero, where a PS button is required and the guitar itself doesn't have one, again rumors that this is already being created. Basically what is happening here is that PS1 and PS2 games require the pushing of the new PS button added to the new sixaxis controllers. So you can't use old controllers to play PS1 and PS2 games. This means GH won't work cause the guitar doesn't have the button. NOTE: You can use PS2 Controllers with PS3 games, just not PS1 or PS2 games...yes its weird, don't ask me.

Also its important to know that of these titles some of the numbers might be the same game. For example lets use Grand Traismo 3. There are I believe 6 different versions of this game. Greatest Hits, Special Edition, Japan Edition, PAL edition etc. If GT3 had a loading problem on the demo, and it effected all 6 of the versions then that would be a total of 6 games that have an error, not one.

Anyway Sony has released an offical website regarding compatible issues. It is said they hope to have all games working eventually and they will with updates to the systems themselves. And yes if you own a PS3 now, your can download the updates that will install on your PS3, so just cause you bought one now doesn't mean you wont be able to play those games later too.

Here is the link. Simply type the name of the game you want in there

https://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

AS FOR ICO...this is what it said. "Description: Throughout gameplay and FMA's, the screen flickers." (if this is a huge flicker or a unoticeable tiny flicker I have no idea.) Sorry don't own the game to test it.

Anything else please let me know.

The Magic Is Coming!
jjmoohead is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.48491 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,910KB
  • Queries Executed 8 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start