Thread: Music!
View Single Post
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:49 PM   #10
Faile
ys.

Faile is on a distinguished road
First off, I've thrown some 4-track demo things on there, just for variation.
Thanks for commenting, again I feel as if I should justify myself. I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a musician. The term is a bit of a stretch. I'm just a boy and a guitar sadly. I've just gone back and had a listen to check I uploaded the correct files, because I'm not overly aware of any mistakes I've made in my playing. The only major mistake seems to be my inability to sing the word diary clearly (now removed from the site until I re-record the vocal). I can only presume you're talking about some of the scales in Heroin (Heroine). I can only assure you I'm quite aware of what it is I'm playing and what I'm producing. I know it sounds lame to hide behind the phrase "but it's meant to sound like that!", but it's the truth (for better or worse, hohoho).
As for my songs lacking structure? I feel that's actually a rather cruel comment. They all have beginnings and ends. They start and finish. The track 'time' even has a middle. I'll explain why my songs sound this way; I'm incredibly incredibly incredibly bored of radio-friendly rock and pop, polished beyond anything. I'm sick of verse, bridge, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus, solo, chorus. I don't want to play songs like that myself, as pretentious as it sounds. Sadly, a part of my education taught me that the notes you're not playing are as important as the ones you are, and that really stuck with me, so I've always tried to experiment with noise, using the feedback and distortion (that a few people seem to dislike) as another instrument. I guess I can only apologise for this, it's just my own taste. Its been born from listening to recordings by artists such as Radiohead, Pavement and the Smashing Pumpkins, not to mention the Jesus and Mary Chain (avoid if you dislike feedback) and other bands that have tried to push the sonic boundary just a little. I use the same reasons to justify my 'tone', it's certainly something I've spent time perfecting, using a number of analogue stomp boxes etc.

As for the music being somewhat cold, well I can justify that well. All of the tracks (barring Gospel) have been written and recorded in the months following the incredibly horrid and depressing breakup of my relationship of two years and all the fall out from this event pretty much broke me. I lost a great amount of my enthusiasm for life. I'm glad this comes across in my vocals in way, it's a good document of how things are (hopefully soon to be 'were'). In short; I guess I just don't want to write things with 'flare' or power or that are inspirational. There are many people that can do that. My musical ambitions are limited to just wanting to make noise and have a few people hear it, if it makes you feel cold or god forbid, unhappy, then that's just as good as being inspiring or filling you with power (at least in my book). My dreams of rock stardom died a few years back now, when I realised the state music was in. Since then I've gone somewhat underground in my ambitions!

Not that I'm disputing your opinion, not at all. I'm grateful for your taking the time to listen and reply. I just feel that perhaps we may be on two different wavelengths regarding musical taste.
xx

www.catherineandtheowl.com

purr. miaow. hiss.
Faile is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.10 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.62979 seconds
  • Memory Usage 1,890KB
  • Queries Executed 9 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end