PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Comics And Anime Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Newbie Anime Watcher (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=7945)

~Desi~ Oct 6th, 2004 03:55 PM

Newbie Anime Watcher

Im a newbie at watchin anime...so I have no clue what to watch....so it woul dbe cool to get some tiutle of some good anime.

merylsilverburg Oct 6th, 2004 11:54 PM

What genres do you like? For example, action, romance, horror, comedies, sci-fi, movies, TV series, OVAs (Original Video Animation), etc.

kupoartist Oct 7th, 2004 09:13 AM

I've only been an anime watcher for half a year now, so I know what it feels like to be confronted with lots of names but no idea what to start with. Personally, I'd start with Movies before you go onto actual anime serieses... Even if you find you have no real love of anime whatsoever, you'll almost certainly derive some kind of pleasure out of some of the better films: Anything by Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke probably have the most appeal) works magic on just about anyone i've tried to get interested. Akira and Ghost in the Shell are pretty classy, but probably more limited in appeal. I can also say that Memories and Metropolis are worth watching, though they didn't really do that much for me...

In general when approaching anime series, you should just go for the kind of genres you usually like in non-animated films, like the types of things Meryl listed above. Do experiment a bit though - you may end up liking stuff you didn't think you would :)

Vic Viper Oct 7th, 2004 12:44 PM

you cant go wrong with " Cowboy Bebop ", its on Cartoon Network all the time, be sure to check it out. :)

baumer Oct 7th, 2004 02:56 PM

King of Hell is an awesome manga...

Lain: Serial Expiraments is a good series...

Zync Oct 17th, 2004 06:26 PM

Getbackers and Full metal alchemist is the series im watching right now and i love them so far.

LrdAlucard Oct 27th, 2004 07:50 AM

If you want movies, and u like vampires. dont miss Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust :D:D or Hellsing, if u want to watch a good serie. Blood the last Vampire is ok too...but no as good as VHD ^^

allmus Jan 19th, 2005 08:11 AM

majorly late post seeing as how this is more than 4 months old, but anyway.
if your into cute animes checkout love hina(*link deleted*provide a FREE streaming of all 25 episodes with subb's, they use the winamp service to supply it, so just check out winamp and there interent TV option in the program, then the desync server is usually the one with the most people in it)

other good cute ones are onegai teacher/twins, i my me strawberry eggs, and azumanga daioh.
or you can try elfen lied which is also good

merylsilverburg Jan 19th, 2005 10:55 AM

Sorry, no downloading links allowed, so I had to edit your post allmus. And considering the fact that the series of Love Hina is on DVD in the US, that link you provided would be considered illegal downloading anyway.

allmus Jan 19th, 2005 11:31 AM

ummm, well desync have been showing it for over 1 year now, and they haven;t been asked to take it down, it's totally free, and if it WAS illegal then why would winamp(a offically trademarked company, that has the responablity to remove anything illegal from there system) haven't cut them off?

also, it's internet TV, it's being streamed so people can watch it like any other TV program u get on cable/sky/countries own channels.

u can't(or atleast not normally) save anything getting streamed to you, also it's not dvd quality and it's only the orginal 25 episodes(no movies or love hina again included).

if it was illegal then why has it been able to run successfully for over the past year?
fact is, that what desync is doing isn't illegal, they are providing a free fan sub low quality show with no extras, infact them and them alone must have boosted the sales of the love hina movies and love hina again sales by more than 50%, because everyone watched them there and got addicted to it(atleast that how it worked with me, and then i paid for love hina complete for everything)

also the link to desync should not be considered a downloading link, if anything it's only publicizing another forum, as desync is basically a forum with a news page. the web streaming is completly on winamp, so u can't press anything on that page to start the streaming.

kupoartist Jan 19th, 2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allmus
if it was illegal then why has it been able to run successfully for over the past year?

Companies don't have the resources to go around shutting these things down. There's a why bother attitude - it's illegal yes, but why bother. If you shut it down, you've got to shut everything else down, and then people will just come in and replace the site because it's so damned easy to do anyway.

It is illegal because a little thing called copyright law. For that matter, anything that is "unlisenced" is also illegal, no matter what anyone tells you otherwise. Downloading anime, music and the rest is illegal. By all means do it, but don't go all wide eyed and innocent about it and say "but I thought it was legal" because if getting anything available commerically without paying for it doesn't ring ethical and legal alarm bells in your head, your brain should be studied by the Institute of Research into Dumbass Neurochemistry.

Welcome to the internet. Being so Naïve is going to land you in trouble someday.

As for the rules of this forum, Meryl is the admin and if you don't like her decision, you're going to find things problematic.

merylsilverburg Jan 19th, 2005 03:44 PM

Quote:

ummm, well desync have been showing it for over 1 year now, and they haven;t been asked to take it down, it's totally free, and if it WAS illegal then why would winamp(a offically trademarked company, that has the responablity to remove anything illegal from there system) haven't cut them off?

Like kupo said, it's incredibly difficult to track down any company or independent companies or whatever and lock them down for providing free licensed animes. If that was the case, then there wouldn't still be so many downloading sites around.

Quote:

u can't(or atleast not normally) save anything getting streamed to you, also it's not dvd quality and it's only the orginal 25 episodes(no movies or love hina again included).

You mentioned earlier that it was the subbed version that was being shown. Here, you mentioned it was not DVD quality and the original 25 episodes. If this WinAmp company were to air the actual episodes, legally, then the quality would be very good and it would be the dubbed version. From what you said, what WinAmp is showing is a sub or a download because downloads are never great quality anyway.

Quote:

fact is, that what desync is doing isn't illegal, they are providing a free fan sub low quality show with no extras, infact them and them alone must have boosted the sales of the love hina movies and love hina again sales by more than 50%, because everyone watched them there and got addicted to it(atleast that how it worked with me, and then i paid for love hina complete for everything)

I don't see the proof of this claim (that desync has boosted the sales of the Love Hina DVDs, merchandise, etc.) except from your own words.

Quote:

also the link to desync should not be considered a downloading link, if anything it's only publicizing another forum, as desync is basically a forum with a news page. the web streaming is completly on winamp, so u can't press anything on that page to start the streaming.

Publicizing another forum? Sorry, but we don't allow advertising either.

I'm sorry if you're unhappy that I deleted your link, but these are the rules of the forum.

kupoartist Jan 19th, 2005 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merylsilverburg
You mentioned earlier that it was the subbed version that was being shown. Here, you mentioned it was not DVD quality and the original 25 episodes. If this WinAmp company were to air the actual episodes, legally, then the quality would be very good and it would be the dubbed version. From what you said, what WinAmp is showing is a sub or a download because downloads are never great quality anyway.

Winamp is just a player used for finding the internet TV channel, not the people behind the broadcast of the anime channel (or channels... or any of the rather nasty stuff that is on Internet TV for that matter). As it happens, winamp many not even have any legal obligation, because it may not be their servers the media library uses (it's most likely a free network of master servers which is someone else's responsibility). Plus, Winamp really whips the Llama's ass, so the courts can't touch them :laugh: