PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   FF character designers (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=2430)

Black Heart Jul 15th, 2002 12:51 AM

FF character designers

Which character designer do you prefer for FF games?
Tetsuya Nomura or Yoshitaka Amano?

Their style is really different, but I like the most Amano's characters. They're just more fanciful and original. Nomura's characters are ok, but I can't stand the style of some of them.

kupoartist Jul 15th, 2002 12:41 PM

Amano, easily. He was responsible for the characters of FFIV and FFVI, which both have diverse and brilliant casts, whereas the Nomura designs all look very similar. Besides, Final Fantasy wouldn't be Final Fantasy without his brilliant logo designs. (anyone got any favorites? I like FFIV's Kain logo, FFVI's Terra logo and FFXI's many people weilding weapons thingy). Its just a shame, that he seems resigned to only making these now :(

Rei Jul 15th, 2002 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by the_artist
Amano, easily. He was responsible for the characters of FFIV and FFVI, which both have diverse and brilliant casts, whereas the Nomura designs all look very similar. Besides, Final Fantasy wouldn't be Final Fantasy without his brilliant logo designs. (anyone got any favorites? I like FFIV's Kain logo, FFVI's Terra logo and FFXI's many people weilding weapons thingy). Its just a shame, that he seems resigned to only making these now :(
I agree with artist's post. Amano's artworks are amazing (not only FF ones), while Nomura's design looks a bit repetitive and some characters are really similar the one to the other. Hope he'll be back for new characters design in the future, just to vary a little bit :right:

Macceh^ Jul 15th, 2002 02:26 PM

Yoshitaka Amano shame hope he comes back in very near future for more great designs :D if not im not saying i despise Tetsuya Nomura as the work is also fantastic.

Ruby Moon Jul 17th, 2002 02:30 PM

Amano is an artist. Nomura is a character designer. I think this kinda explains the differences among them. My "vote" is for Amano. His characters are just unforgettable and his artworks also for characters that he did not create are awesome. Nomura is very good at drawing and creating characters, but it's a completely different story... And yeah, he does repeat too much the same elements in every FF game. Just look at FF8 and FFX characters' similarities...

Soul Angel Jul 18th, 2002 10:50 AM

Don't kill me :right: but I have to say I prefer Tetsuya Nomura artwork then Yoshitaka Amano work.
I guess I prefer Tetsuya Nomura designs or at least the way he draws because it is more eyecatching imo anyway.
But in the end I think both of them are really good and I like both of there work :happy: