PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Comics And Anime Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Samurai X? (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=5991)

Azuma_Ninja Apr 30th, 2003 12:41 PM

Samurai X?

I just wanted to know is Samurai X the same thing as Kenshin on cartoon network. I bought one of the dvd's the other day and it was soooo much better than what they show on tv (violence, gore, etc...). My question is then is it the same story or is their other major differences. I've only seen one episode of Kenshin cuz by the time it comes on I'm either at work or on my way to work:shame:

ToxicUK Apr 30th, 2003 01:28 PM

Im not totally sure but I would probabaly say yes... I odnt have too much experience with Samurai X

Azuma_Ninja Apr 30th, 2003 03:34 PM

Quote:

orginally posted by ToxicUk
I odnt have too much experience with Samurai X
Yeah neither do I. I just picked this dvd out to try something new. I really like it though the animation is top notch and the fight scenes are really well done.

ToxicUK Apr 30th, 2003 03:40 PM

Do u reccomend it cos im looking for some more anime to buy anyways...:ghost: P.S. Will you please check out my newly made sig in the galery cheers...

Reid Apr 30th, 2003 07:10 PM

Samurai X is the American name for the first set of Rurouni Kenshin OVAs.

They're set before the series begins when the Meiji Era hasn't began yet and the government and a rebel faction are still at war, explaining why they're much bloodier and more darkin mood.

Azuma_Ninja May 1st, 2003 12:01 PM

Quote:

orginally posted by ToxicUK
Do u reccomend it cos im looking for some more anime to buy anyways... P.S. Will you please check out my newly made sig in the galery cheers...
I would recomend it. At first I was a little disappointed because it cost $30 and it only had 2 episodes on it. But like I said before the animation is really well done so I think I'm going to purchase more of the DVD's in the future.

I honestly think your current sig looks better than your new one IMO. I like the colors your current one, but I really like the font style in the one you have in the gallery.

ToxicUK May 1st, 2003 01:44 PM

1 - OK, thankyou.:)

2 - OK im sick of this, im just taking my sig off cos this is totally annyoing. OK i am NOT good at art. Plus I dont have the good programs that you people have.

Azuma_Ninja May 1st, 2003 03:21 PM

hey man don't worry about it.........i'm not good at art either.....someone made my sig for me.

ssjtrunks13 May 1st, 2003 03:51 PM

I can vouch for that. Anyway, What does OVA stand for anyway?

side note: I think I might just actually draw a picture and post it, maybe it'll be better than I think.

merylsilverburg May 1st, 2003 09:34 PM

Like Reid said, "Samurai X" is the OVA for the Kenshin series and it's much darker because it is before the Meiji Era, which is the era that is in the TV series. "Samurai X" actually tells the story of Kenshin's past and how he became a rurouni (wanderer).

The reason why the animation is much more detailed and well-drawn is because it's an OVA. OVA stands for "Original Video Animation" (some people say OAV...same thing). OVAs are not put out on TV....instead, they are put straight to video, which is why the animators can take the time to really draw and make it beautiful.

There's a second "Samurai X" series called "Samurai X: Reflection" and this is the second OVA. It comes after the TV series and is considered the final conclusion to the Kenshin saga. I would recommend staying away from this second OVA until after you finish the TV. But, that's just me though. :right:

Azuma_Ninja May 2nd, 2003 01:55 AM

Quote:

originally posted by merylsilverburg
There's a second "Samurai X" series called "Samurai X: Reflection" and this is the second OVA. It comes after the TV series and is considered the final conclusion to the Kenshin saga. I would recommend staying away from this second OVA until after you finish the TV. But, that's just me though.

that is the DVD that I bought........I didn't know it was the ending untill I saw the second/last episode on it.

merylsilverburg May 2nd, 2003 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Azuma_Ninja

that is the DVD that I bought........I didn't know it was the ending untill I saw the second/last episode on it.
Oh man, that sucks. Seeing the final ending...:P Ah, well, it doesn't seem you're too emotionally attached to the Kenshin series like me, so that's a good thing. :phew:

Anyway, if you want to see more "Samurai X" stuff, you should check out the first OVAs which are called "Samurai X: Trust" and "Samurai X: Betrayal". These are the ones that tell about Kenshin's past. :) It has the same style as the "Reflection" OVA, but is more darker and bloodier.

ssjtrunks13 May 2nd, 2003 08:54 AM

Nice, I might get those before any of the Rorouni Kenshin episodes.

Vash May 2nd, 2003 11:12 PM

Someone who knows about this Samurai X series please just post a list of the movies in order that I should watch them. It would be greatly appreciated.

merylsilverburg May 3rd, 2003 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vash

Someone who knows about this Samurai X series please just post a list of the movies in order that I should watch them. It would be greatly appreciated.
First watch:

1) "Samurai X: Trust"
2) "Samurai X: Betrayal"

...and then you can watch the TV series and then watch:

3) "Samurai X: Reflection"

...or you can just skip the TV and just watch "Reflection". It's up to you. :)

Azuma_Ninja May 3rd, 2003 04:02 PM

thanks for the info meryl. I'm downloading the first 2 movies off of kazaa, that's going to have to do untill I can find the other dvds

Vash May 3rd, 2003 10:57 PM

Thanks man.

Suzuki_Fanboy May 5th, 2003 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vash

Thanks man.
Meryl is a girl :heh:

Azuma_Ninja May 6th, 2003 12:18 PM

is there a boxset for the kenshin episodes? i've started watching them on tv, but i only get to watch like 2 a week because of my work schedule. For those of us living in the states i would like to see kension on adult swim so they could show the un-edited episodes.

merylsilverburg May 6th, 2003 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Azuma_Ninja

is there a boxset for the kenshin episodes? i've started watching them on tv, but i only get to watch like 2 a week because of my work schedule. For those of us living in the states i would like to see kension on adult swim so they could show the un-edited episodes.
I don't think there are Kenshin TV boxsets yet...I'm not sure, you might want to ask Suzuki about this because I haven't heard anything about it.
Unfortunately, the episodes on TV are edited and are being played over from the beginning. So, they're only showing episodes 1-20 as of right now.

Quote:

Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy

Meryl is a girl :heh:
:laugh: Yes I am, but it's alright...I don't have a gender icon so it's not his fault he didn't know. :)