PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Comics And Anime Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Manga inspired by anime (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=3749)

Hylas Oct 18th, 2002 11:01 AM

Manga inspired by anime

Looking at Cowboy Bebop's manga I was really disappointed. The style is completely different from the one of the anime and the stories are, well, so so: weak, funny but weak.
The reason is that the manga was created after the anime and the mangaka is an artist who has nothing in common with Bebop, apart from the fact the creator of the anime called this person (I don't even remember if it's a woman or a man) to draw the manga.

I wonder if there's much sense in creating a manga after the anime only because the anime is successful, because when this happens, the manga is not much different than a doujinshi, both for quality and for ideas (ok, it's not hentai but not all doujinshis are hentai either...).

merylsilverburg Oct 18th, 2002 08:04 PM

You're right, Hylas. It doesn't make any sense, but thankfully, there isn't that many mangas inspired by animes. At least I don't think. There woudn't be any point in making an manga after an anime, but I guess it's just so that the series could at least have a manga series, do you know what I mean? Or, it could be just to create new stories involving the characters, like a doujinshi but it's official.
Regarding the Bebop thing, I also agree with you...I have all the volumes of the Bebop manga and I was extremely disappointed because the stories in there weren't following the main story from the anime. The drawings were also kinda terrible too. But, I think the reason why they just put in silly and awkward stories in the manga, is for the manga not to be as dramatic as the anime. Like...whent the manga is created first, the anime tends to be different sometimes. Maybe it's the same thing, except it's anime first, then manga, which is why it's so different.

Miki Oct 18th, 2002 10:03 PM

I don't like mangas inspired by anime either. They're usually bad, with few exceptions (live NGE). When is a manga which inspires the anime the situation is completely different, because usually the mangaka is a serious artist who creates his own story following his own ideas.

Frozen Oct 19th, 2002 03:09 AM

That must suck. It's like, going kinda backwards, you know? I mean, it'd be great if the manga actually followed the storyline and all, maybe if it went through other paths but without affecting the main story, then I guess it's alright... but usually, mostly anything that is done based in something else, without following it's "bases" it's more likely to suck. (excepting the case when the "original" sucks and then the changes are made for the better)