PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "Hero"- The sequel to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=5865)

merylsilverburg Apr 10th, 2003 05:42 AM

"Hero"- The sequel to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

Ugh, I just finished watching this film called "Hero" which is supposed to be the sequel to that hit "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and I can't stand it. Just can't. I couldn't stand the first film and I can't stand this sequel. I don't get what was so good about the first film, but I'm pretty sure that since it was such a great film around 2000(?), the US will bring over this sequel for sure.

The most part of this film that I couldn't stand was the very typical "Chinese" parts...I don't want to say anything in case anyone here hasn't seen the film, but it annoys me to hell. Especially the women. :frust:

That's not the say the story wasn't good...this time, I actually thought the story was okay, but then the end really pissed me off.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. Has anyone here got a chance to see it? If so, what were your thoughts? I was able to see it only because a friend of my mother's went to Chinatown and picked up the film there.

BTW, this films stars Jet Li and that Zhang Ziyi chick. There are other actors I'm familiar with, but I just don't know their names. :right:

Berserker Apr 10th, 2003 06:47 AM

As far as I know it ain't the sequal to C.T.H.D. , I still haven't seen this one, I'm gonna cause I'm a big jet-li fan.
I find the what you call "typical chinese parts" very entertaining indeed, that's why I like earlier Jet Li movies better cause he ain't hollywoodised(???) then and they contain a lot of the chinese culture.

Frozen Apr 10th, 2003 01:02 PM

OOOH a SEQUEL, I hope it's true, cuz you know I liked it a lot!!! :D

I'll certainly watch it, although I'm not hoping to see anything magnificent with that ranting of yours, Meryl

:laugh:

Pu the Owl Apr 10th, 2003 02:09 PM

I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, but I've never heard anything about a sequel of it. I usually despise the idea of sequels, and the idea of having a sequel of this movie is no exception...
Anyways, I've seen many Chinese movies, and I know that in some cases the way women are shown is irritating. But I guess that's a part of Chinese traditions, so there's not much to do about it. Not that all movies regarding China or Chinese culture are like that... :heh:

MakgSnake Apr 10th, 2003 10:53 PM

Re: "Hero"- The sequel to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"

Quote:

Originally posted by merylsilverburg

I couldn't stand the first film and I can't stand this sequel
I couldn't stand the first either, but thanks for letting me know that I should stay away from this one. :D

merylsilverburg Apr 10th, 2003 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by beserker

As far as I know it ain't the sequal to C.T.H.D. , I still haven't seen this one, I'm gonna cause I'm a big jet-li fan.
I find the what you call "typical chinese parts" very entertaining indeed, that's why I like earlier Jet Li movies better cause he ain't hollywoodised(???) then and they contain a lot of the chinese culture.
It's not the sequel? I thought it is because my parents kept saying "It's the sequel! You gotta watch it!" :P Maybe they thought it was the sequel only because Zhang Ziyi is in it or something. ^_^;;;

I also enjoy a lot of the older martial art films...the authentic ones, you know? Like the people actually use strings to make the characters "fly" back and forth? I didn't like "CTHD" because the fight scenes are ridiculous (as Frozen may already know :right: ). I mean...what happened to gravity? The first film had the characters leaping but when they land, they land softly. In the old martial art films, they actually land with force...with dust and dirt actually flying around their feet.
What I meant by the "typical Chinese parts" are the way the characters act...it's so very..."Chinese". Maybe it's hard to understand what I mean, but since I know how the Chinese act, this film really gets on my nerves. And like Fortune said, the women are irritating in most films. It's because of this reason why I also didn't enjoy "CTHD"...this film, I admit, is a little better.

Matrix Apr 11th, 2003 09:43 PM

Hero is NOT a sequal to CTHD period