PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Metal Gear Solid Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which one to start? (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=7959)

Aubrey McFatum Oct 9th, 2004 10:40 PM

Which one to start?

I've never played MGS games. I have no idea. I've heard so many times they're fantastic. I know a new game is coming out this fall. It could be a good occasion to get to know this series. As I said, I have no idea, so I'd like to know which game I must get first, if they are in chronological order or not, if getting one randomly is ok or if there is a game I should play before the others.

merylsilverburg Oct 10th, 2004 12:02 AM

The one to definitely play is "Metal Gear Solid" for the PS1 (or for the graphically updated version, "Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes" for GameCube). Next, would be "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty" for the PS2 and this should be all you need to bring you up to date on the third game this Winter.

If you want to know the real history behind all the MGS storyline, you'll have to play all the old NES games.

Hope this helps a little. :)

kupoartist Oct 10th, 2004 03:38 AM

I played the original MGS first, and it's probably the better game (except graphically - but having "Twin Snakes" on the Gamecube remedies that). Having said that, i'm pretty sure that you could jump straight in at MGS2, but its always better to start where the story starts, right? If you find MGS difficult, don't give up! It's a fabulous game even if you may not "get" the playing style when you first start playing (my first mistake was to try killing people ^^).

If you look around, you should be able to find a demo for MGS1 on the PC... and perhaps one for MGS2 on the PC. They may give you a way to "try before you buy" ^^

bigboss Oct 10th, 2004 07:50 AM

yeah I would start with metal gear solid 1 to figure out the story but it does refer to the nes originals a bit but you can understand all the story just by typing "metal gear nes" into a search engine and reading up on gray fox and big boss and that sort of thing because I played metal gear solid without even knowing there were 2 more and I enjoyed it and understood most of it and to this day have never played the originals ,just read the storylines for them. I do want to play the originals but have to buy a nes and the two games to do it and that seems like a lot of cash for such a dated (but undoubtedly amazing)game.