PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Comics And Anime Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Hellsing Ultimate OVA (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=9027)

merylsilverburg Feb 26th, 2006 04:54 AM

Hellsing Ultimate OVA

Well, I saw the first episode (the only one released) of the new Hellsing OVA some days ago and here are my thoughts on it.

EDIT: I saw this unsubbed, no translation or anything. So, if there are any context/conversation changes in the first episode, I wouldn't know about it...though listening to the Japanese (even with my little knowledge), there doesn't seem to be much differences.

The sad thing about watching the first episode is that if you've seen certain episodes of the TV series, you're going to be a bit bored. That's because the first episode shows a brief glimpse of Integral's childhood, the vampire priest, the meeting of Seras, a brief section of those pesky teenage vampires, and the meeting of Anderson and the whole first fight between Arucard and Anderson. And that's it for now.

The good thing about this first episode, though, is that it takes care of all the unnecessary plots/filler stories out of the way. Since the OVA is going to follow the manga story, I believe the rest of the episodes will start getting into the main plot, which centers around this secret organization and involving the Nazis. If you've read most of the English-translated manga, you know it's pretty good stuff.

The art is drawn to resemble Hirano's style, so character designs will look similar to the manga (not much of a difference between the TV except Seras' uniform is yellow this time, not blue), which I thought was pretty neat to see. The animation is quite nice, more detail, more fluidity/consistency.

One gripe that I have: Seras' goofiness and zany-Hirano-humor, unfortunately, might be more present in the OVA this time. In the TV, the only times you see Seras acting like an semi-idiot was during the next-episode previews. Otherwise, she was serious most of the time, despite being sort of a wimp. In the OVA, you'll see some of those notorious bright patterned backgrounds indicating a comedic scene and Seras acting like a dork. Don't worry though; she gets down to business faster than in the TV and her development is sped up. For Integral fans, she's a bit more considerate and caring this time around (like in the manga), which I like much better. This gives me the impression that she really is a strong, capable woman than the shouting, "I'm-trying-to-be-dominant-to-hide-my-weakness-but-you-can-still-clearly-see-I'm-weak" attitude she had in the TV.

Also, the music isn't as catchy this time. :( What I loved about the TV was that the music really set the tone/mood for the dark, horror-esque feel of the show. Now, there's more orchestrated pieces...no more clunky piano playing or rock guitar...of course, this is just the first episode, so things might change later.

Finally, for those who are fans of the sub, all the original voice actors/actresses are back, except for Anderson. He's replaced by the guy who originally voiced Richard (Integral's uncle) in the TV. A huge bummer because I loved TV Anderson's crazy, insane cackle and attitude. :laugh:

Overall, I think this series will be really great if they keep everything consistent and following the manga plot because there will be much character insight and development this time around. :)

EDIT 2: I forgot to mention that the series might be a bit more graphic, sexual-wise, than the TV. There was the groping of Seras in the first episode, so this is just a warning to those who are underage or are offended by these things.

Vic Viper Mar 8th, 2006 05:23 PM

thanks for your impression Meryl, do you know when the DVD is coming out in the U.S. ?

merylsilverburg Mar 9th, 2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Viper
thanks for your impression Meryl, do you know when the DVD is coming out in the U.S. ?

Sorry, I have no idea about the US release date. But, considering that these episodes are OVA and put onto DVD instead of being broadcasted on TV in Japan, hopefully licensing process would be quicker, translations would be done, which would lead to a faster release in the states. :)

Meiko Apr 9th, 2006 11:53 AM

How many OVAs are they planning to make?

merylsilverburg May 2nd, 2006 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meiko
How many OVAs are they planning to make?

Oh, sorry for the super late reply, I didn't check this thread till now. :P Since OVAs tend to fall on the short side, I don't know how many episodes they're planning on making. I'm hoping for at least 2 seasons (26 episodes) though.

A little update: the second Japanese DVD which contains the second episode (yes, only the second episode, which is such a ripoff) will be released in August. At the pace the DVDs are going, hopefully Hirano will be able to get a few more volumes out or complete the series in time. :right: