PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   RPG Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   RPG Recommendations (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=9451)

Phenom Oct 8th, 2007 06:10 AM

RPG Recommendations

I know some people are probably sick of me with these recommendation threads because I'm sick of myself for making them :D.

In any case, I'm either going to buy a ps1 (I need another one since my lid do not close.) or a ps2. (I miss it lol) And this time around, instead of restricting to a single console, we'll make it a general type thing since I now own a GameCube as well as an Xbox. (Next gen consoles will be put to the side for the moment since I don't own those.)

The ones that I've played.

Final Fantasy 7 - This is mainly making me to buy a PS. I can sell it because the original case is missing so I'm stuck with it. :)

Final Fantasy 8
Dragon Quest 8
Rogue Galaxy
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Radiata Stories (I don't think I like this one that much)

Chrono Cross - I gotta give this one another go because I don't think I gave this one a fair chance.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Jade Empire (Currently playing this as we speak)

Carlito Oct 13th, 2007 12:54 AM

Final Fantasy 9 and 12 are good. So is Dark Cloud 2. Among the popular games, I think these at least should be added to your list.

Phenom Oct 13th, 2007 08:48 AM

Ah yes, Final Fantasy 9 and 12. I've been real skeptical about both games especially 12 since I've played the demo, and I didn't really care for the gameplay, but with a $20 price tag, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it again.

As far as 9 goes, well, I didn't think I'd care for it because of the characters. I'm not into the whole kiddy's thing, lol. But I'll try it though.

I was also wondering if Final Fantasy Chronicles and Anthology are worth looking into?

Pu the Owl Oct 13th, 2007 09:22 AM

Final Fantasy IX has to be the FF game I like more. Try Vagrant Story also. It's almost from the same team of FFIX and XII, but it's more "adult" oriented and with more challenging gameplay.

Phenom Oct 20th, 2007 12:28 AM

I haven't been able to come across Vagrant Story, or rather, I haven't been able to come across any cheap copies of Vagrant Story :(.

Are the Lunar games worth checking into? I'm still looking into FF: Chronicles and Anthology. Graphics haven't been much of an issue for me lately, so I think I can put that type of bias judgment aside for a bit. :)

Pu the Owl Oct 20th, 2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenom
I haven't been able to come across Vagrant Story, or rather, I haven't been able to come across any cheap copies of Vagrant Story :(.

The first time I rented it, then got stuck and before I could finish the game, I had to return it. So later I went looking for it on Ebay, and bought a copy. I admit sellers were mainly based in the UK though :P

amarant_coral Nov 1st, 2007 06:24 AM

How about the pre-VII FFs? Or, failing that, Grandia and the Breath of Fire series is pretty good (or at least it was...)

Meiko Nov 8th, 2007 02:58 PM

Grandia is pretty good, but I haven't played the last yet.

Stacked Rapture Feb 13th, 2009 01:02 PM

You seem to have an affinity for the old school, since you've tried Chrono Cross why not try the original Chrono Trigger recently re-released for the DS. Or if you want some real old school flavor try Mother 3 (aka Earthbound 2) only found on GBA emulators for the PC. The script is awesome and its good ol fun.

Phenom Feb 26th, 2009 11:59 AM

Wow, I posted this in 2007...

It's now 2009 and I'm getting ready to order CT and I've played Final Fantasy Chronicles version... (I never played FFIV on it though.... :()

All jokes aside, good thing you revived this though because I'm in need of some newer stuff.

Here's the catch though. Being in school and all, I don't have much time for console games at the moment, so now I've moved onto portables.. The GBA and DS to be more precise.

-No Pokemon (or any animal thing)
-No S/TRPGs
-GBA and DS only