PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What exactly is Gil? (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=8181)

Urahara Kisuke Dec 11th, 2004 03:48 PM

What exactly is Gil?

In the many worlds of Final Fantasy they seem to consistently use Gil as currency. I was just wondering if anyone knew if they were coins or paper money or both or even something else all together.
Thanks for any help or ideas. :shy:

merylsilverburg Dec 12th, 2004 05:31 AM

This is an interesting question...well, I've always assumed Gil was in the form of coins...dunno why, it just seems that way. But maybe I'm wrong...:right:

Beretta55 Dec 12th, 2004 11:37 AM

Do you want to know the shocking truth?

You see GIL's in final fantasy are actually gills from fish, they just took off one L to sound hip for some undisclosed reason. So when you collect all those gils you are actually collecting rotting fish gills to trade to people who eat them at night when nobodies looking. Or they could be coins.....that makes sense too. :P

Nelo Angelo Dec 12th, 2004 01:40 PM

They're probably just gold coins.

I doubt many merchants want to have rotten fish gills smell up their shop. =P

LrdAlucard Dec 12th, 2004 04:56 PM

Ive always thought of it as "Credits" Nothing more..not even coins...

Urahara Kisuke Dec 12th, 2004 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beretta55
Do you want to know the shocking truth?

You see GIL's in final fantasy are actually gills from fish, they just took off one L to sound hip for some undisclosed reason. So when you collect all those gils you are actually collecting rotting fish gills to trade to people who eat them at night when nobodies looking. Or they could be coins.....that makes sense too. :P

Interesting theory, very interesting. :happy:

IcyMourdor Dec 13th, 2004 01:31 PM

I feel that it was more like in olden days of old school FF. Instead of gold or gp, they called it gil to separate FF from other RPGs.

kupoartist Dec 13th, 2004 04:01 PM

Never asked this question ^^, but then why are $ "dollars?" why Yen, Rupees or Kroners? Whilst the currecencies may be called something because of something historical ("£" Pounds probably something to do we weight) The reason for the name of a currency may not be entirely obvious or it may even be made up. Gil is just called Gil I guess. Perhaps there was a brilliant king Gilmore who united the crystals and yada yada... or perhaps it's a reference to Gilgamesh? Anyway, it's 95% likely that the developers just went with gil because it sounded good.

Dactrius Dec 13th, 2004 06:16 PM

I spent the last couple of days trying to think of examples, but my brain's gone and died on me. Anyway, I believe Gil are coins because in many places throughout Final Fantasy games you hear the clattering of coins when you spend or win gil. I can't quite remember exact places, but I'm sure when you use machines in the Gold Saucer it happens.

I'm voting coins.

Frozen Dec 28th, 2004 09:07 AM

I like to think that Gil aren´t the same in all of the Final Fantasy games, perhaps some are bills as we know our money nowadays, in medieval settings they would probably be coins, and in futuristic settings like FF VIII they could be "credits" by electronic means, like in Star Wars.

The Echuu Jan 2nd, 2005 07:33 PM

Somebody told me that Gil is a real currency somewhere in the world, but I really have no idea.

Soul Angel Jan 25th, 2005 02:56 PM

I've personally always thought as Gil as coins or something, but I've never really put much thought in it.
Though saying that you would be pretty weighted down with all those coins in your pocket especially later on in the game. :P

LeCrap Jan 25th, 2005 03:21 PM

Yo someone said something about the origin of the word dollar. It comes from the German "tollar" or something like that. No idea what it means.

Now, gill (Yes, I know, I put 2 l's) is some sort of weight according to Webster's.

Zellodine Jan 30th, 2005 04:37 PM

gil are coins... end of discussion/thread :zip: