PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Final Fantasy Forum (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   FF7 question *spoilers* (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=4066)

Elmyra Nov 8th, 2002 12:22 AM

FF7 question *spoilers*

I'd be thankful if someone could explain the role of Zack in Final Fantasy 7, because I really don't get it!

kupoartist Nov 8th, 2002 02:27 PM

okies... as far as i can remember:

In a lot of ways, Zack is who Cloud believes he is, and the lives they lead individually are similar in some ways - Zack dated Aeris for instance, and Aeris is later intrigued as to why Cloud is so spookily similar to him.

Their paths come together at the Nibelheim Sephiroth incident: In reality, Sephiroth lead his group, consisting of Zack (a SOLDIER, First Class), Cloud (a bog standard Shinra guard) and another shinra soldier to the reactor. In Cloud's mind, he was Zack (or at least "SOLDIER, First Class"), and the travel-sick grunt was someone completely different.

When Sephiroth went beserk, Zack attempted to stop him, and failed. Cloud did however stop him, (despite having the masamune stuck in his chest) and Sephi was thrown into the lifestream. The wounds that both received were serious enough for them to get caught by the Shinra, and imprisoned in the Mansion's basement: from hereon, Cloud is a very confused thing, constantly blacking out, due to his wounds, and the experiments he is subject to (involving Jenova cells)

They then are able to escape, and head to Midgar. Shinra, catch up with both of them: Zack is shot several times over, and is certainly dead: Cloud survives however, and as he has already been dressed in Zack's uniform, he picks up the Buster Sword that Zack uses, and heads into midgar. He is then found by Tifa, at the Sector 7 station (the one the plate falls on... not sure if thats 7) and the game has effectivly begun, as he weaves the distant past of his own, with the recent and more glamorous close past of Zack's.

And that probably doesn't clear it up too much ^_^

sk8er_kyle Nov 21st, 2002 07:51 PM

Zack is the guy that was at nibelheim not cloud. Cloud thought that he did all that but he was just watching Zack. Cloud was just one of those low level soldiers(the ones in blue). I think thats all that Zack is in the story for. There is an optional movie about Zack and Cloud near the end of the game.:ghost:

Spank-A-Thon Nov 22nd, 2002 08:44 AM

That's pretty much bob-on what The_Artist presented for us.

The only part I would challenge is why Cloud started to weave Zack's exploits into his own version. It is my thoughts that Cloud was embarassed at not making SOLDIER, but also due to the effects of the Mako treatments he managed to convince himself that it really did happen to him.

As we see later in the game, straight from the off it appears that Tifa is fully aware of Cloud's deception but perhaps is fearful of telling the truth to Cloud in case it affects Cloud mentally.

- S