PDA

View Full Version : Into November

jjmoohead
Nov 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM
Which means just a few short weeks until the release of the PS3. Now by this time we all know who wants it and who doesn't, so lets get passed all that. We know there are shortages, and even further shortages then first stated. We also know Europe isn't getting the PS3 till launch, so please lets forget about all that now. Its been discussed, its been argued, its been well, pretty much everything.

What I am saying now is that its hard not to be impressed by what we are seeing and hearing about what will be offered. Maybe everything that is truely amazing isnt comming at launch, but lets face it, the look of the PS3 overall is pretty damn impressive. We are talking about Next Generation gaming, not your personal take on what games are offered. What I am talking about is the mere presence of the next generation that is hear at last.

With that said, and whether your a xbox 360, Wii or PS3 fan, or just a huge gamer like myself, its hard not to get excited. So the countdown is on, and this gamer, is more then FREAKING ready!

Phenom
Nov 1st, 2006, 05:58 PM
I know what you're getting at and all, and I agree with you in terms of not being able to be impressed/excited and whatnot. That is if you're the average gamer. Unfortunately, I'm not your average gamer. (Honestly, I think I am one of those lame types or something that doesn't get into what everyone else get's into. I'm no fan of, GTA, FF, MMORPG's, RPG's to a certain degree. Really, I'm definately not your average gamer.)

With that being said, I'm not enthused (that is how it's spelled right?) about the release of the ps3. I'm not ecstatic about any of the next gen consoles really. However, Ninja Gaiden: Sigma changed my mind about getting a ps3 altogether ^_^. It's only been me losing interest in gaming though. (Just a stage I'm at where I'm finding all games pretty boring at the moment. I need to go travel to a place for some quiet or something.)

Am I ready? Sure, I guess. I'm not a person that is easily motivated. (Ironic how Ninja Gaiden got me stoked though... lol.)

kupoartist
Nov 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM
Which means just a few short weeks until the release of the PS3. Now by this time we all know who wants it and who doesn't, so lets get passed all that. We know there are shortages, and even further shortages then first stated. We also know Europe isn't getting the PS3 till launch, so please lets forget about all that now. Its been discussed, its been argued, its been well, pretty much everything.
Once you eliminate all the people with those grievences, not an awful lot is going to be said. The fact of the matter is that the supposed "next generation of gaming" is no closer to 99% of people than it was 6 months or a year ago. Just because a handful of people actually have the system, doesn't change the fact that the rest of us can only look at screenshots until it becomes available. Or affordable. Or appealing.

Oh, and add "Lack of High Definition Television" to the list. Next generation games won't look next generation without one. I know virtually no-one with an HD ready TV. To make the PS3 truely worthwhile, it seems you have to spend as much as you would on a PC to get it... Unless by a miracle a PS3 game actually starts selling itself on next-generation gameplay instead of graphics.

merylsilverburg
Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:53 AM
(Honestly, I think I am one of those lame types or something that doesn't get into what everyone else get's into. I'm no fan of, GTA, FF, MMORPG's, RPG's to a certain degree.

LOL, just because you're not into the mainstream games doesn't make you a lame gamer. :laugh: You probably just have an acquired taste but that's fine, at least you know what you're into. :D

Anyways, yeah November is here and I'm pretty sure people are getting excited about the releases of the PS3 and the Wii...my sister is in the middle of saving up for the Wii but we're just worried we won't be able to find one in this crapola town. We're planning on heading over to Best Buy soon to see if it's too late to pre-order (which it probably is, hehe).

Carlito
Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:37 PM
Oh, and add "Lack of High Definition Television" to the list. Next generation games won't look next generation without one. I know virtually no-one with an HD ready TV. To make the PS3 truely worthwhile, it seems you have to spend as much as you would on a PC to get it... Unless by a miracle a PS3 game actually starts selling itself on next-generation gameplay instead of graphics.

In general, that's true only if you are a hardcore gamer, maybe used to play on a PC monitor. Yes, you can't enjoy the new generation of video games in their full HD glory (and I really can see this is annoying to some gamers), but you will still fully enjoy the increase in detail of all polygonal models, smoothness of animations, color depth, filters, and so on. While the comparison is a bit exaggerated, I think that saying you won't enjoy the console because you do not have a HD TV is like saying that the visual experience you get from watching Hayao Miyazaki's latest movie on a small TV is the same you'd get by watching an old Tom and Jerry cartoon. Yes, I'd prefer to watch them on the latest triple magic high resolution crazy TV that costs more money than a new car and that all console manufacturers (in particular those that make also TVs) would like us to buy, but I still really enjoy them with my old 17" TV.

Anyhow, sadly, your point is true in some cases - 1) re-editions of games released for previous platforms (like the gimmicky Gran Turismo HD that didn't impress me at all) 2) games that aren't really next generation, but just output higher resolution scenes. I admit that among the very unimpressive launch titles available for these new consoles, a lot of games fall in the second category.

Guess that for many of us, this is one more reason to wait until the price of the console drops a bit - even though, considering Sony's latest misadventures, it is very, very unlikely we'll see it anytime soon. On the price subject, I think the price of the console is well justified - the PS3 has a lot to offer, especially if you consider that the Xbox 360 add-on to watch HD-DVDs costs like a Wii. We were able to grab one PS3 unit for our office, since we obviously need it to review the new games as soon as the network launches, but I really do not know when we will be rich enough to purchase the other unit we will need in the next months.

Phenom
Nov 13th, 2006, 06:12 PM
LOL, just because you're not into the mainstream games doesn't make you a lame gamer. :laugh: You probably just have an acquired taste but that's fine, at least you know what you're into. :D
I know, I just like to say that ^_^, but let it be another forum full of fanboys..... I'd be getting chewed out by now.