PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary Girl Utena

Pu the Owl
Mar 25th, 2002, 07:14 PM
I admit I don't know anything about it. But when I wander around the web I always see Utena layouts, Utena Shrines, Utena Fans, Utena Wallpapers....
The first time I looked at characers' profiles I thought: "They're not very appealing...", most of all maybe because they look too girlish, also the guys from this series. But maybe I'm wrong.

Tomorrow I'm planning to visit the anime shop. Last time I was there, I noticed they had Utena manga. I must confess I opened the first book and I closed it because it made me think of something I don't like, but I couldn't remember exactly what.

Now, I was wondering: should I try Utena or not? I know that buying only one or two episodes of the manga is not particularly expensive, but maybe I could spend my money on something else, if Utena is not so good...

merylsilverburg
Mar 25th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Mmm.....Shoujo Kakumei Utena is good in my opnion. I've watched only half of the dubbed TV series and the new Utena Movie that recently came out. I have the manga and the artbooks. I like this series because it's very mysterious and has an odd sense of humor. It's kinda a dark, and VERY symbolic anime which you have to pay careful attention to. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but I suggest you watch the anime, then get the manga, because the anime draws you in. And the music is SUPERB. Basically, Tenjou, Utena is a young girl who, as a young child, was rescued by a mysterious prince on a white horse and now, wants to become a prince herself. This prince gave Utena a signet ring which is embedded with the rose symbol. The school she goes to, Ohtori Academy, is a strange school. It's signet is the rose symbol as well. There is this girl, named Himmimeya, Anthy, who is the "Rose Bride". She is what the four members of the Student Council duel against each other for because she has the power to grant their "wishes". These four members are part of the Student Council, because they wear the Rose Signet Ring and want to bring "revolution" to their world. Utena gets involved with all this because she wears the Ring as well, so in order to become a "prince", she must duel with these four members to win the "Rose Bride" who is Anthy. This might sound confusing, but please, give it a try. It's much, much better than my horrible summary, and the story is so unique and mysterious. Plus, it's French based....you'll see the costumes, the duels, and the setting slightly like a French/European setting. This anime is VERY popular in France because of it. A lot of people go crazy over it because of the whole symbolical thing of the rose and the whole "revolution". Even now, I still have my own questions about the series. I haven't finished watching the rest of this anime, because only half of the episodes were released in the US. :( But, I still say give it a try. This mangaka, Saito Chiho, is sooo popular because of this anime and other mangas she's made. I definitely recommend this anime, because for some strange reason....it really puts a spell on you. I don't mean to sound cheesy, but I was immediately spellbound when the first scene of the anime appeared on screen. Very good anime, IMO. :love:

Pu the Owl
Mar 25th, 2002, 08:49 PM
hehehe thanks meryl.
In the meantime I remembered the title of the other anime that made me think of Utena: it was "Versailles no Bara" which is completely different, but for some reason Utena's character looked familiar because she seems a bit a new version of Oscar from the anime series I mentioned. Maybe the way they are dressed, maybe something else...I don't know...maybe because I've seen pics around and the atmosphere was similar.
But Versailles no Bara takes place during the French Revolution, so I think they don't have many plot aspects in common.
I don't know if I'll be able to get the anime, so if I can't I'll try the manga, even if it's not the same thing :right:

merylsilverburg
Mar 25th, 2002, 09:12 PM
A lot of people compare Versailles no Bara to Shoujo Kakumei Utena but these two animes/mangas are sooo different. In Utena....EVERYTHING has to do with the rose. But, in Versailles no Bara the "rose" only refers to Maria Antoinette and I think Oscar, too. I used to own the entire Versailles no Bara manga series, until my sister accidently threw my entire set away. :weep: :( Those were irreplaceble, because I got the first edition set....that was my first manga EVER. I got it in Chinese, because I went to a Chinese bookstore in a Chinatown, but now.....I'm not sure where I can get the Japanese version, and if they changed the covers. Anyway, it's such a shame you can't get the anime. The anime is terrific. It's so well done. And, the dub is REALLY good too. That's kinda rare in anime, but the voices went really well with each character. That's what also drew me into this series. The manga is good too, but you can't get that spellbound feeling with the manga. I was totally enchanted by this anime, no joke. After watching the first four episodes, and stopping the tape....I swear....that's when the spell broke off and I was free to think again. Scary, huh? Plus, everything in Utena is so beautiful. The merchandise for this series is awesome too. They actually made the Rose Signet Rings, which I own the Black and White, there's cosplay outfits, which I bid for Anthy's "Rose Bride" outfit on Ebay, the music is GREAT, so I got the CDs....man, I could go on and on, but yeah....this series is wonderful and someday....if you can, definitely try to check out the anime. :)

Pu the Owl
Mar 25th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Maybe there are others series from the same mangaka I know? So I can also make a comparison with the style of the same artist?

BTW, meryl I'm so sorry for you Versailles no Bara Collection! It's a sort of tragedy when something like that happens! :(

merylsilverburg
Mar 25th, 2002, 10:03 PM
Ahh....the only popular one by Chiho, Saito is Revolutionary Girl Utena. I have her other mangas, but they're not made into anime and I don't know how to read the titles. But, you can do a search on "Chiho Saito" or "Saito Chiho" (same thing) and view her other works. She's been around for a VERY long time. My cousin's friend, who is around 26, said she used to read this mangaka's work when she was YOUNG. :shock: Which means.....yeah, Chiho, Saito has been around! I'm sorry I can't help you out. Maybe I'll look up some for you later. BTW, thank you for your sympathy. My sister said she was so sorry, and I forgive her, but still....it's still in my heart...:weep: :laugh:

Vamp
Mar 26th, 2002, 06:01 PM
:shock: my sweet pajamas u guys know so much about everything
me feel dumb now
can some one show her pic on

Pu the Owl
Mar 26th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Do you want to see Utena?

Ok...

Utena (http://www.routevenus.com/utena/images/mart-vol1-image8.jpg)

Utena & Anthy ( I think) (http://www.routevenus.com/utena/images/mart-vol1-image3.jpg)

Vamp
Mar 26th, 2002, 06:25 PM
hey thanxxx
cool pics she is pretty and it seems like her fav color is blue and ures too

merylsilverburg
Mar 26th, 2002, 07:34 PM
In the anime, Utena's school uniform is not blue, but black. But, yes, that is Utena and the Rose Bride, Anthy. :)

Hylas
Mar 28th, 2002, 02:15 PM
I liked Utena's anime, but I didn't like very much the manga :p

Carlito
Mar 28th, 2002, 07:53 PM
That's the girl in meryl's drawing posted in PS2Fantasy Gallery Forum!
Today I've learnt something new :laugh:

merylsilverburg
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Yup! Congrats! :laugh: You should also check out the anime, if you're interested. :)

Carlito
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:04 PM
It's difficult 'cause where I'm living at the moment there aren't many anime shops, so it's not easy for me to get this stuff.

merylsilverburg
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Ah, man, that's too bad. :( My little town had the same situation, until me and my sister kept going to Sam Goody in the mall nearly 3 times a week checking up on new anime. There, we started talking to an employee who is an avid anime fan, and is in charge of upgrading the anime section. And now....we have a little bit more anime DVDs because we kept recommending tons of different anime, so they order it and ship it in. Well, if you get a chance, you should check it out, it's pretty good. :)

Carlito
Mar 28th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Okay, thanks a lot for the suggestion :)