PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation (Ps2 only)

Phenom
Aug 21st, 2006, 01:29 AM
1st I'll start with my lineup of games. (Well it's short stacked)

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Gungrave: Overdose
Virtua Fighter 4
Onimusha 1*(I hate it) & 3
Gran Turismo 3*
DoA Hardcore
The Bouncer*
Final Fantasy X*
Soul Calibur 2*
Kingdom Hearts*
Hyper Street Figher 2 Anniversary
X-Men Legends

*thinking about selling

Ok. here's my current situation. My brother just recently sold his Xbox, and most of the games I liked was on that console. (Ninja Gaiden, Shenmue 2) Some people may think that's a good thing, but "shrugs" Fact remains, I liked it. But for quite some time now I've been growing tired of gaming in general. (I won't bore you with that, maybe you'll have a discussion about it someday. Until then, I won't go into details)

Anyway, I'm looking for some games to get for the PS2 ONLY. I gave my older consoles to my nephew. And I don't own any portables, and I haven't planned on buying any consoles until the end of the year. I'm into the hack n slash type games the most, but at this point, I'm looking for anything that'll grasp my attention. I'm not really into the GTA's, Final Fantasys, Tekkens, Resident Evils (sorry fanboys, I'm just different that way.) and I don't play strategy or MMORPG's, (Sorry if I'm sounding picky) so if you would be so kind could not suggest those.

So yeah.

Into hack n slashes
take anything except GTA, FF, RE, Tekken, strategy and MMORPG's.
Only Ps2 games.

Thanks in advance.

Berserker
Aug 21st, 2006, 04:13 AM
If you're into hack 'n' slash you should really get LOTR: the two towers and LOTR:return of the king, excellent games packed with excitment and adrenaline.

Vic Viper
Aug 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM
dude, you need to get Zone of the Enders 2 and Shadow of the Colossus.

Redpyramidhead
Aug 21st, 2006, 08:32 PM
Have you tried God of War yet?

_RED_

DSgamer
Aug 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM
have you tried king arthur? man that game is so bad it's funny when you're drunk! :) oh and umm silent hill 2 n 3

Phenom
Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:36 AM
@Berserker - I think I played Return of the King before. And I was getting my ass whooped... I think. Is that the one where you start off fighting as the old man with white hair?

@Vic - I'll see if I can get my hands on them. SotC has been sold out and not on the shelves at my local Blockbusters. I've been trying to get it since it was 1st released.

@Red - I have, but I didn't really care much for it, but I'll give it another go. Perhaps my opinion will be different than the last time.

@DSGamer - I don't drink O_o... and no I haven't played King Arthur. (I'm a party pooper.)

Is Prince of Persia 3 any good?

Berserker
Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:06 AM
Yeah, ROTK you start playing as the wizard. When he gets his upgrades he's one kick-ass mofo.

Phenom
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
I pretty much did a complete overhaul.

Almost all those games on my list except for Devil May Cry 3 and Metal Gear Solid 2 has been sold.

And I'm currently working on a 2nd batch of games that's about to get sold as well.

This is what I have now.

Samurai Warriors*
Dynasty Warriors 4
Matrix: Path of Neo*
Chrono Cross*
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Onimusha 3*
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts 2*
Kingdom Hearts**
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Metal Gear Solid 2
Devil May Cry 3: SE

* = getting sold
** = gave to my sister

I'm currently looking for a little bit of everything at the moment. RPG's, action, fighting, fps...

But before we get to suggesting things, I better tell you what I've played / beaten from blockbuster already.

God of War (beat. didn't care for it))
Prince of Persia 1 & 3 (beat)
Tekken 5 (didn't care for it)
X-Men Legends 2 (beat)
Ultimate Spider-Man (beat)
DBZ: Budokai series (beat)

And I think that's it. I'm currently on a budget. Couple of rules as well, being the picky casual gamer that I am..... Gotta have some rules :)

-FFXII is off-limits
-Pretty much any game over $30 is off-limits.
-No Grand Theft Auto suggestions.... (I'm not much of a fan.)
-No MMORPG's, and no strategy type game (like FF tactics... not my type of genre, and I don't have the patience for them.)
-This time, we're going ps1 and ps2 only. (playing catch up, so to speak.)
-If you're going to suggest Xenogears or Shin Megami Tensei.. Can you suggest a site (PM me) that sells them cheap, otherwise I won't be able to get them.

Beretta55
Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:45 AM
Assuming your into hack-n-slash games still I have a decent list for you (most can be found at a 20-30 dollar level.) But seriously prepare for a pretty large list, not all of them are winners but almost all of them are damn cheap.

Drakengard 1-2 (try circuit city for the second one, I got it there new for 16 bucks. The first one can be found cheap new or used almost anywhere.)
Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
Blood Will Tell
Devil Kings
Ghost Rider
Shinobi and Nightshade
Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked (be warned though, it’s made by Grasshopper, the guys who made the fantastic Killer 7. So from what I've seen it looks hack'n'slash but it may be far different from one given that a lot of their games have unconventional gameplay.)
Spartan: Total Warrior
Bujingai: The Forsaken City (I thought this game was extremely bland and plain though, and I love hack'n'slashes, you might dig it though.)
Samurai Western
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Eve of Extinction
Musashi: Samurai Legend (hack'n'slash with decent RPG elements, all boils down to stabbing people in the face though.)
Nano Breaker
Chaos Legion
Crimson Sea 2
CY Girls (I personally thought it sucked.)
Maximo 1 and 2
Mark of Kri
Rise of the Kasai
Shadow of Rome (sorta. The sections with the soldier turned gladiator are pure hack and slash bloody goodness. But they are broken up by stealth sections by your buddy trying to prove a conspiracy and get you out.)

There are a few others I have not mentioned but they aren't very good at all.

Then here are some other games that aren't exactly hack'n'slash but are still heavy on action, my favorite genre: the beat'em up. Not a big list though sadly. Again these games can be found for cheap you can get Urban Reign and Beat Down for ten bucks each at a local best buy.

Urban Reign
Beat Down: Fist of Vengeance
The Warriors
God Hand (You must try this one without fail. It's a tough game like DMC3 but it is everything a 3D beat-em up should be.)
Mortal Kombat: Sholin Monks
The Red Star (not out yet, but will be coming out next week for 20 dollars.)
Final Fight: Streetwise
Rise to Honor
State of Emergency (the second SOE you might find when looking for games is more of a third person shooter then the beat-em-up the first one is.)
Oni
The Hunter the Reckoning series
Seven Samurai 20XX

ALL these games are for PS2, just to let you know.

As for RPG's eh I know plenty of RPG's that aren't final fantasy. The Star Ocean and Radiata Stories are a good pick since the battles are in real time. Rogue Galaxy and Valkyrie Profile 2 are real-time as well. So those games have a hack and slash type of play but with a deeper RPG background. As for the RPG's you listed having a tough time to find cheap, well there really is no other way to get it. The games are exceedingly rare to find and thus jacked up prices for even used copies. I'll look around and send you a PM if I find anything though.

Phenom
Mar 26th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Holy cow!!! That's some list. I mean, I knew about Genji, Shinobi, and Nightshade, but almost majority of that stuff I either completely forgot about, or never knew they existed. (Hell, I didn't think there were this many hack n slash games that were on the ps2.)

How is Chaos Legion btw? Everytime I've walked into blockbusters, I saw that game sitting on the shelves. (That and Bunjingai) Thinking, I should probably try it out, but never really had the interest to actually pick it up.

And then you bring in the beat'em ups. I've been meaning to get my hands on God Hand, but the price was still around the $40-$50 mark.

Thanks for the list, and thanks for looking into Shin Megami Tensei and Xenogears. I greatly appreciate it.

Beretta55
Mar 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Holy cow!!! That's some list. I mean, I knew about Genji, Shinobi, and Nightshade, but almost majority of that stuff I either completely forgot about, or never knew they existed. (Hell, I didn't think there were this many hack n slash games that were on the ps2.)

How is Chaos Legion btw? Everytime I've walked into blockbusters, I saw that game sitting on the shelves. (That and Bunjingai) Thinking, I should probably try it out, but never really had the interest to actually pick it up.

And then you bring in the beat'em ups. I've been meaning to get my hands on God Hand, but the price was still around the $40-$50 mark.

Thanks for the list, and thanks for looking into Shin Megami Tensei and Xenogears. I greatly appreciate it.
Chaos Legion is pretty good, a lot of people trashed on it because they expected something to the quailty of devil may cry. It didn't reach that level but as a hack and slash action game from Capcom, its pretty damn good. For the 10-20 dollar price point you can find it at, I highly reccomend it, just don't expect something that trumps DMC, because it won't but still a good game.

God Hand has dropped to a comfy twenty dollars now. I can find it for twenty bucks at best buy, gamestop/EBgames, circuit city, and hell even blockbuster at this price. So look for it again and it should be that price, if thats a no go then online shops such as Amazon will have it for twenty for sure.

I'm still sniffing around for Xenogears but have a question for you on the Shin Megami series. Now do you mean you want all the games in this series? Such as Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summonor or do you just want a specific one? So yeah let me know and I'll look around.

One other question: Are buying games online a problem for you? Since I could most likely find better deals for these games online then in a store. Xenogears on average is 50-60 used at a place like Gamestop.

Phenom
Mar 26th, 2007, 07:07 AM
So far, I was only looking for Nocturne, just to get started. And if I were to like what I see, I'd look into Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2. I didn't want to touch Devil Summoner just yet.

Majority of the times, I do all my shopping online.

Since I just made a few purchases... (had to get my hands on MGS3: Subsistence) I'll get Chaos Legion and God Hand the next time.

Phenom
Apr 25th, 2007, 02:01 AM
You can cancel the search for Nocturne since I have that on the way. I had to sell a buttload of games for it though. (I sold most of my good games.... MGS3, Dragon Quest VIII, Kingdom Hearts 2, Chrono Cross. Perhaps a mistake, but I beat MGS3 and KH2 quite a few times, and I just wasn't feeling the others. And being jobless at the moment doesn't help much either... So, off with them :)) It was around $50, and I know I wasn't going to find it any cheaper. So I went on ahead and brought it before they sold out.

You can also cancel the search for Xenogears. I found a site that's selling it cheap. Now's just the matter of them actually getting some used copies.

Now I have some questions on a few games.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. I hear that the game is very good, but the voices are horrible. I'm easily turned off buy bad / annoying voice acting. (Hence the reason why I never liked FFX) Is the voice acting in this game that bad, or is it managable?

Valkyrie Profile 2. Lately I've been hearing alot of talk about "real time action" (like what you posted Beretta) What is real time? Is it like the gameplay in X-Men Legends? Perhaps Zelda (Atleast I think Zelda is a RPG)

Radiata Stories. It's just a game I kept coming across when looking at reviews for RPGs. Is this one any good?

Beretta55
May 4th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Sorry about the late reply man, I've had issues on my own and my wisdom teeth (three in all) were taken out and that added to my absence.

Star Ocean is a very good RPG, I haven't gotten terribly far in it but the gameplay is fun, the story starts out pretty interesting all the makings of a good start to an RPG. The voice acting isn't bad, none of the people’s voices annoyed me except for one character who is some 14 year old girl who you meet at the start of the game, but most child voices annoy me anyway. But the voice acting is solid, it didn't make me want to turn it off or mute the cut scenes when the voice acting would begin again, so I think you'd do okay here.

The real time game play for Valkyrie Profile 2 is real time in the spirit of X-men Legends but that game is a bit more of a dungeon crawler then a real-time RPG. Just think of it this way, your main character in VK2 is strolling around the game world, you run into an enemy and a battle commences just like many RPG's before it, but instead of turn based you get to control the action with real time. The best way to describe it is a mini-hack'n'slash game. Just imagine Dynasty Warriors but on a smaller scale and that is basically a real-time RPG in a nutshell. So if you like hack'n'slash games which you have made clear that you do, you will enjoy real-time RPGs.

Radiata Stories is also made by the same people who made Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile 2, as the other games the combat is also real time. I own this game and it's fantastic, the gameplay is really fun and the story is light-hearted and quite hilarious. If you want an RPG that is more comedic and light-hearted to take a break from all the serious stuff out there Radiata Stories is a good choice. The game also has a recruitment system you can recruit a lot of people in the game world to fight for you. You can recruit everyone from a hardened mercenary to a drunken farmer out in the middle of nowhere to fight for you.

I'd say get this game after Nocturne if you want to take a break from the serious and melodramatic world of RPG's. The story does get a little serious the more you play (even dealing with racism) but the tone is still set light and the characters acting in a humorous fashion, still a very good game I highly recommend it. I also suggest getting the guide for it if you can find it, the guide will help you in recruiting people in the game. If not then I’m sure looking up Gamefaqs will do just as well.

Phenom
May 5th, 2007, 06:58 AM
No worries man.

I see. So it's more like Kingdom Hearts?

How's Rogue Galaxy? That's the next game on the way. The pictures caught my attention and so I had to get it. (Ordered it day before yesterday)

I'm holding off on Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne at the moment. I just recently beat FFVIII, and I've had enough of turn based combat for right now.

Depending on the price, I may be able to get both Radiata Stories (or Valkyrie Profile) and Star Ocean.