PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Launch Titles

jjmoohead
Aug 12th, 2006, 09:48 PM
With the release of the PS3 just over 2 months away and launch titles being announced or at least many games being announced, the excitment builds for us few who are getting a new machine at release. I have looked around the net and this is what I have seen, but understand I am in no way connected to PS3 or these companies to confirm these actually to be real realase date titles.

PLEASE NOTE: Launch date for PS3 (baring any mishap) is November 17th

LAUNCH TITLES

Resistance: Fall of Man
Fatal Inertia
Genji 2
Call of Duty 3
Tony Hawk's Project 8
EA Sports Fight Night Round 3
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War
Madden NFL 07
College Hoops 2K7
Sonic the Hedgehog
NBA Live 07
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Ridge Racer 7
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
NHL 2K7
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Need for Speed Carbon
Warhawk

Because I am such a huge sports fans the realease of the PS3 is exciting especially with a large number of sports game release around or on the same day. One could argue that all these games will come be on other platforms and although I agree I could buy NBA Live for Xbox or Xbox 360, I would prefer to play it on the new PS3.

My probable Release day pick ups include but are not limited to:

NBA LIVE 2007 (Me and my roomate will play this for hours)
Need For Speed Carbon (Own every game in the frachise, why stop now)

Since my PS3 is already paid for I will most likely pick up Madden 07 and Tony Hawk, but because of my dissapointment in the EA releases of every EA Sports Game on the Xbox 360, I figure one is good enough to gamble on upon release, however, I will rent madden decide if its the way to go. If so Ill pick it up too.

Getting a PS3 at launch? What are your PS3 related plans if your one of the few?

Berserker
Aug 14th, 2006, 01:20 AM
I'm still in the dark if I'm getting one straight away, I'll probably wait till some games come out that really get me excited allthough TH project 8 looks killer it just isn't enough IMO. I'll probably get it as soon as Half-life 2 hits the shelves.

DSgamer
Aug 14th, 2006, 12:49 PM
not a very good launch line up, if i ever do decide to get one, it'l be when it costs a little bit cheaper (a lot, actually) and hopefully there'l be at least 20 good games out

jjmoohead
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I agree that although the lineup isnt "amazing", the lineup isnt all that bad. It sure makes the xbox 360's launch look awful, although xbox did that all on its own, no need for a comparison.

For me its really going to depend on the EA sports games and whether or not they are as terrible on PS3 as they were for xbox 360. I mean they cut out so much gameplay out of every single game that it made the launch of 360 that much more useless. Only time will tell though.

But I cant blame you or anyone waiting for a price drop and at least 20 games. I mean im doing the same for xbox 360. I went to pick one up yesterday and realized there isnt a single game out for it that I would really find entertaining for myself. So I see where your comming from. If the launch titles of PS3 don't interest you then there is no need to purchase or even think about them, the same it is for me with all current games on 360. So yes I understand.

DSgamer
Aug 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
yea, that's exactly why i waited to buy a gamecube for so long and when i bought it for 100 and almost all the best titles were around 20 dollars. :-D

so i might just do that with the ps3

however, im getting a wii at launch cause its gona be pretty cheap + virtual console which will have enough classic games to play from launch (hopefully)

and as far as the 360 goes, i heard there was a public dev kit coming out for people to make their own games and put em up for download so that's pretty interesting, and that new zombie game just came out so 360 has been getting my attention lately, if they keep it up with stuff like that i might end up buying a 360 before ps3

Vic Viper
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
meh. pretty weak launch titles, imo. that only title that peak my interest is Lair. ill buy the ps3 when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out.

i might actually buy the Wii at launch instead, so me and gamer can play with our Wii together !!!!!!!!!!! :naughty:

DSgamer
Aug 16th, 2006, 12:27 AM
nigga, you just want to get all up in wii.

kupoartist
Aug 16th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I'll probably get it as soon as Half-life 2 hits the shelves.
Why not just buy 3 year-old components for your PC and play it now, the way it was always intended to be played? Chances are the back-catalogue isn't going to be enhanced for the PS3, and IF it is, you can bet your hard-earned cash that the enhancements will find their way onto the PC version via Steam. True, because HL2, Ep1 and Ep2 will be bundled in one package it may end up cheaper, but what is the difference of $20 when we're talking about a console that is going to cost an arm and a leg in the first place? It just seems a bit crazy to splash out on a monsterously expensive console for a game which has been available in its intended form for 3 years...

Berserker
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:26 AM
True, but I'm sick and tired of upgrading my pc for games and I've turned it into a music making/recording pc instead. I've spent quite some money on the audio parts and I'm kinda keeping it clean from games and stuff. I'd rather play console nowadays, allthough I still play ET:RTCW every now and then but that's just an addiction. So I'm not gonna get the ps3 just because of HL:2, but it's one of the games that I look forward to the most.

kupoartist
Aug 17th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Fair enough :) Considered the Xbox version though? Or the 360 for that matter?

Berserker
Aug 17th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Never considered buying a xbox mainly because of the lack of good third party fighter controllers(Sanwa, HORI) and I never really liked the ps2 ->xbox controllerconverters cause of the lag the can have.
I'm waiting for the ps3 to be released so I can compare it to the xbox360, so who knows I'll end up with a 360 in the end...but I doubt it.

jjmoohead
Aug 19th, 2006, 11:02 AM
F.E.A.R announced as launched title.

Not huge news considering FEAR is available on PC. But still another title.

Berserker
Aug 21st, 2006, 01:09 AM
F.E.A.R. allthough it's already available, I think it's one kick-ass title. Nice one.

Beretta55
Aug 21st, 2006, 04:29 PM
The only title there that interests me and that cannot be found on the 360 or Wii is Resistance: Fall Of Man. The others like Call Of Duty 3 and Marvel: Ultimate alliance I can get on my 360. Full Auto 2: Battlelines I'd probably like (Full Auto on 360 is a guilty of pleasure of mine, it's not the greatest game ever and I know it, but I still find it enjoyable.) so either way that launch isn't doing much for me. Not enough to want to pay 500 or 600 dollars for it. But then again launches usually don't contain killer app titles so I don't count it against any launching system. I also want F.E.A.R. too but I'll be getting that on 360.

But either way I'm not getting a PS3 at least for a couple of years, that price is too much for me for awhile. I usually barely have enough to pay for 50-60 dollar games as it is. XD

goodman
Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Yeah im not plunking down anything for a weak launch like that, but Sony has pretty much let me down the past few years. Unlike the ps, the ps2 has pretty much fallen off the map as far as support during the launch of a new system (i guess were getting a new system the info is so weak so far). I know eventually the ps3 will probably be a very good system, but they sure have a lot to prove in the meantime. So youve already payed for your ps3, Moo, so how much did it cost you? Unless you payed cash you would have had to sell dozens of ps2 games along with the system to even make a dent in what the retail price must be. Enlighten those of us who have had no info on that sort of thing...

jjmoohead
Aug 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I am paying cash for it, no trade in. I payed $650 CDN for the system. I got a second controller and an extended 3 year warenty for it from the store that means instant new machine if mine stops working, so ill be using that for sure.

I also put the money down for 2 games although I have not picked which 2 I will pick up that day. In all I am looking at about $850 cdn. But Like I said, I have put away $50 a month for well over a year cause I always felt it was going to be expensive. Plus $50 a month is the same price I would have payed for games each month so its not like it burnt a hole in my pocket.

goodman
Aug 25th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Although my console gaming has slowed to a trickle i will be interested in seeing what you have to say about the system. Im sure your one of the few who will actually pay that kinda money for the ps3. Although i have the money im no longer willing to pay for something that really hasnt interested me much in some time. But i have enough interest to see what others are thinking. When the system that cant be passed up comes around i will be interested in that for sure...

jjmoohead
Sep 13th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Gundam has been confirmed as a launch title for Japan. No offical word on North America but sources say it looks like a simular launch window release there aswell.

jjmoohead
Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:57 AM
Although only for sure in Japan, looks like GT:HD will be a release at or very close to launch. It was further stated that the "Overseas" release is thought to be very simular. (although uncomfirmed)

jjmoohead
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:29 PM
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion has been announced as a launch title.

Berserker
Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:16 AM
I saw resistance on the tv the other day, very dissapointing graphic-wise I must say.

DSgamer
Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:50 AM
i read somewhere that you gota pay for each car/track on gt:hd? if so, that's stupid. but it doenst matter cause im not getting a ps3

jjmoohead
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
No what the deal is that if you want to purchase additional cars and tracks that get made later it is possible to do so. Its not like they will let you pick one car and then if you want anymore you have to pay for them, and its not like its going to be $5 a car.

Its just giving out updates that you can choose to purchase or not, but as everyone knows GT series has a huge number of playing hours and large number of cars to choose from already. The "extras" wont be necessary.

Phenom
Oct 11th, 2006, 04:06 AM
I already know I won't be getting the ps3 at launch. (No job at the moment) But that launch line-up is not convincing at all. I'm a hack n slash person, so of course I'm takin interest in Genji 2. (although I haven't played 1 yet)

In terms of sports... uhh.. I kind of stopped liking the NBA Live series ever since I started playing the NBA 2k series.

Not really into racers either so... Not much to look forward at release, but I am interested in seeing others thoughts about it when they get theirs.

Faile
Oct 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM
It's a disappointing list of titles, for sure.

jjmoohead
Oct 20th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I don't really understand why its so dissapointing. I mean there is multiple genras, lots of games (21 offically for North America), and most of them look great. I can understand not wanting to pay big money to play these games but the cost of the systems shouldnt reflect what the games themselve have to offer.

Yes some of the games can be purchased across platforms and again why spend more money for the same game. I get that, but if your saying its not a good launch list then you wont be getting them for other systems either. IE Need For Speed:Carbon.

Then there are games like Madden 07 that reviews are saying destroys xbox 360, offering better detail and even uses the six axis for better hits and has new features like group tackels. NBA 07 is even been listed as the top sports game released on any system this year cause of the 60 fps and the realismn. Not to mention the massively improved AI over the PS2 version, which critics said was the best of 2007 thus far.

Now I am not being a fanboy here, I understand some people are just not interested in the PS3 and thats fine. But come launch there are 21 games available (in NA) and at least 8 I am in interested in purchasing.

And yes the lack of systems at launch sucks, and I am sorry to Europe for everything they have been through, seriously I get how much this sucks. Even I who have had it payed for for a long time now, may not get one at launch from all this shortages. But all that asside the game lineup looks good (not great) but good, and by march 2007 it promises to be more then great. With all the details coming out the last few days how can you not be excited

Anyway i guess its ones opinion vrs anothers, but I don't think anyone will be dissapointed.

merylsilverburg
Oct 20th, 2006, 10:55 PM
I don't really understand why its so dissapointing. I mean there is multiple genras, lots of games (21 offically for North America), and most of them look great.

It's true that the launch titles do have varying genres, but unfortunately none of them are my style. Most of them are sports games which I do not play; with the exception of "Tony Hawk Project 8" but I'm tired of the Hawk games so I wouldn't get it anyway. "Sonic" looks and sounds pretty nifty but I was never keen on the idea of Sonic for Sony, sorry. And the others seem to be FPSs (which I hardly play), RPGs (which I do play but these don't seem very appealing), and racing games (which I used to play but not anymore). The only action-adventure is ''Genji'' which doesn't seem interesting either. And sadly, the only fighting game is a boxing game...which just isn't for me, sorry. For this reason, the launch titles seems so-so...and maybe the others feel that way too which is why it's disappointing. And when you say that ''most of them look great'' are you judging solely by graphics? Because that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to buy a PS3 and/or root for the launch titles. :P

And yes the lack of systems at launch sucks, and I am sorry to Europe for everything they have been through, seriously I get how much this sucks. Even I who have had it payed for for a long time now, may not get one at launch from all this shortages. But all that asside the game lineup looks good (not great) but good, and by march 2007 it promises to be more then great. With all the details coming out the last few days how can you not be excited

Maybe some of the PAL region people are feeling bitter about the PS3 delay but I don't think (not all, at least) that's the reason why people are saying that the launch titles are bad. Seriously, I think the launch titles are just very unmemorable this time around...I may get chewed out but I thought the PS2 launch had better stuff (yes, even "Fantavision" :laugh: ).

jjmoohead
Oct 21st, 2006, 05:27 AM
OK so your basically saying the launch titles to you are not great cause they are not to you game play style. Thats fair, but lets pretend your an all out gamer that loves to play games across all systems.

Well for starters, the lineup is semi impressive, For sports fans you have the typical EA lineup and 2K lineup. (and from what people are saying they are much better designed then on any other console with more features), you have FPS which 2 look very impressive for FPS games on consoles. I agree with you that i don't play FPS on consoles cause FPS was built for computers. But you can't argue with the presentation of the games.

RPG pretty much goes with Oblivion again already released on xbox and PC but is arguably stated to be a great game on both systems and PS3 adds on to the game with its own special area not included in other games.

The racing titles also look impressive, and lets face it 95% of racing games these days are graphics so when it comes to me saying the game looks good yes graphics are a huge factor. Yes handling and driving style are key, but for the most part the great games like NFS and GT have got handling figured out and now its about presentation.

As mentioned Tony Hawk looks very impressive, and yes I can understand the hatred of the series after all its pretty much the same thing over and over but I am excited over this one as rumors show that the game focuses more on things that can actually be done and not roof to roof transfers into 3 mile grinds with 10 million kickflip combos while on the ride.

I understand what your saying personally, the games are not your style. But from a gaming standpoint you cant truely say this is a poor launch lineup. Its day one and people are expecting day 365. I agree its not a great lineup, there could be more, i agree, but considering what we are getting its really not all that bad in compairson to other consoles, especially the launch of the 360.

merylsilverburg
Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:23 AM
Thats fair, but lets pretend your an all out gamer that loves to play games across all systems.

I'm sorry for this stupid question but are you asking this because of the comparison on the multiplatform games (like "Madden 07" or another game)? Because if so then yes, maybe the PS3 would be higher in the competition if, to me, the multiplatform games seem better on the PS3 than the 360 or Wii.

The racing titles also look impressive, and lets face it 95% of racing games these days are graphics so when it comes to me saying the game looks good yes graphics are a huge factor. Yes handling and driving style are key, but for the most part the great games like NFS and GT have got handling figured out and now its about presentation.

Okay you've got a point. I guess this would be an important factor if you're a diehard racing fan and everything else about the gameplay has already been figured out through past trial-and-error.

As mentioned Tony Hawk looks very impressive, and yes I can understand the hatred of the series after all its pretty much the same thing over and over but I am excited over this one as rumors show that the game focuses more on things that can actually be done and not roof to roof transfers into 3 mile grinds with 10 million kickflip combos while on the ride.

I never said I hated the series, but I was merely tired of it because, yes, it pretty much is the same thing over and over again. Although I loved the concept of "Underground" the taste level in "Underground 2" made me feel rather sick (sorry, but I don't like the Jackass show, team, whatever). This is why I never bothered with "Wasteland." Maybe "Project 8" would present something fresh to the series (although, hehe, I really liked the fantasy aspect of flying across huge chasms or soaring into the air while doing specials or combos :laugh: ) because I also read about it and it does sound interesting but I still have my doubts, I'm sorry.

I understand what your saying personally, the games are not your style. But from a gaming standpoint you cant truely say this is a poor launch lineup. Its day one and people are expecting day 365. I agree its not a great lineup, there could be more, i agree, but considering what we are getting its really not all that bad in compairson to other consoles, especially the launch of the 360.

Yes from a certain standpoint the launch games aren't terrible and is an adequate amount that ought to make people happy. And yes, perhaps I'm just expecting too much or have higher expectations which is unfair. But I'm not expecting day 365 like you said. It's just that - and please, I'm really not trying to get into an argument so please don't misunderstand – I thought there might be at least one game that seems slightly original and makes me go "Wowies, I gotta get it!" It's true that the other consoles like the Wii, which my sister is getting since I don't have money, don't have an eclectic mix either but they do have a quirky and fun looking game "Elebits" which actually made me cackle at its concept (despite it being an FPS :(). So for that, and "Zelda," it made me actually interested in the Wii...otherwise, I wouldn't be so intrigued either (and honestly, I'm only waiting for "Animal Crossing Wii," :D). Also, I really couldn't say that the PS3 launch is better than 360's because PS3's launch seems eerily similar to 360's. Both seem to have the same amount of sports, racing, FPSs, etc. But that could just be me, okay? I will eventually get a PS3 when I get enough money and when the better games come out but I really don't see myself picking one up at launch, I'm sorry.

jjmoohead
Oct 22nd, 2006, 04:12 AM
Yes this is in no way an argument, a healthy discussion.

Now your last thing about the 360 lineup being simular to PS3, yes on paper they look simular, but a closer look shows much more solid games as a whole for the ps3 then the 360. The 360 sports games for starters are limited and were highly critized as being pretty much usless. Even the second time around the games were very poor. What we are hearing out in the gaming world is that the majority of the sports lineup is tops across all platforms and in the first try.

Now I could go into detail across all the genras but i think you see what im saying. And no i wasnt refering to just cross platform games, but was refering to the gamers out there that love multiple styles of games. There really is something for everyones style, and agreed maybe not the best title but it still looks impressive and sounds impressive.

Yes I agree a game like animal farm is not going to be seen on the PS3 and the huge inovative game your looking or may be a while away, but lets face it, what has xbox given us in the last year of production. Not to start ps3 vs xbox360. The Wii is going to give gamers those types of titles. Nintendo is legendary for it, and that excites me. I to plan on getting a wii. But after spending the bucks on the ps3 ill probably wait till about march for the wii. So yes I agree with you that the style of game your refering to is not there.

With all that been said this has been a great discussion and nice to see thought put into your posts. Not saying others are not, jsut that i have been to forums where its like 360 RULES, PS3 SUCKS, or DS IS AWESOME, PSP IS GAY. You know what I mean. So Cheers :)

merylsilverburg
Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:37 AM
Yeah, I'll just have to wait until there is one or a couple of games that really shines for me. :)

Not saying others are not, jsut that i have been to forums where its like 360 RULES, PS3 SUCKS, or DS IS AWESOME, PSP IS GAY.

Yeah isn't it hilarious how people learn to speak only to spew out petty insults? :laugh: