PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Price Drop and Crazy PS3 News (or lack there of)

jjmoohead
Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:37 AM
yeah so im in Futureshop, a electronics store in canada simular to best buy (not sure if they are anywhere else in the world) and I noticed that their PS2's droped down to 129.99 CDN, about 115 US. I was told this was a Sony thing and not a weekend sale.

So anyway I need a new ps2 cause I am currently using a friends and almost bought one today. I asked the guy wow thats a huge price drop about $40 cdn from the normal price and he tells me well Sony is clearing them out as the PS3 is comming out soon. I said well ya but not till november. He says to me "No, its comming out in August, I already saw our dilivery notices on it."

I wanted to laugh in his face honestly as I have been following the release date on this for months and already have my money stored for pre release payment. I said are you sure, i have heard otherwise, and he swore by it.
I looked into the price drop thing online and mostly all i see is "rumors" and suggestions but nothing concreate of people saying this drop was offically comming. Almost like it just happened without word. Like we knew in advance the PSP was droping price, but not so much about the PS2. Anyone seen this in their stores and whats this guy on that he thinks the PS3 is out in August.

I want to believe him cause i want it now and maybe Sony is pulling a fast one by everyone. I don't see it possible, but it would be interesting if this guy was telling the truth. ALthough I dont believe it personally.

EDIT: Located something saying Sony announced this price drop on the 20th of this month, but nobody knew for sure and only speculated before this happened.

DSgamer
Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
I want Xbox to drop its price so i can buy one

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 24th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I think your friend is full of it. Sony wouldn't rush the console out the door that fast. Most likely your assumption for a November release is the correct one. As for the price drop this could give me another chance to rebuy the console, espically with it being the newer model.

~Will

Berserker
Apr 25th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I hope they're able to pull of the worldwide launch in November, so August......naaah.
Anyone heard anything about the newer model ps2 not being able to play the cd-rom(blue disc) games of the ps2?? I heard something on a forum about the console having trouble reading the blue ones?

DSgamer
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:31 AM
it's not like ps2 never had problem reading the blue ones (lollerskates, lmaonade)

jjmoohead
Apr 25th, 2006, 02:18 PM
just to be clear, it wasnt my friend but a sales man that tried to tell me it was august. I don't believe it at all personally, but I do like the price drop.

Sleazy P Martini
Apr 25th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Sweet deals. Cheaper replacement consoles means less risk when tearing them open. :D

jjmoohead
May 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Well that puts that to rest withthe offical announcement of November for release date.

Im so going to the store and tell that guy hes an idiot.

Berserker
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Some news on the backwards compatibility:

This week they dropped an esoteric but still interesting detail when they announced that save games from the PlayStation and PS2 will indeed carry over to the PS3, allowing you to keep those golden chocobos you spent hundreds of hours breeding in Final Fantasy VII.

Got it from a gamespot newsletter. It's details like this that matter IMO.

ps2gamer
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I want Xbox to drop its price so i can buy onea huge ditto on that one gamer!! :happy:

DSgamer
Aug 11th, 2006, 12:34 AM
haha yea man, i like the way you think!

Berserker
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:31 AM
haha yea man, i like the way you think!

You sure ps2gamer isn't some split personality of you gamer? Somebody do an IP check please... :laugh:

What's next DSgamer??

DSgamer
Aug 11th, 2006, 02:50 PM
hahahahhahhhahah oh man!!! CAN I REQUEST A SCREENNAME CHANGE TO DSgamer?!?!??!?

oh mannnn that would be the best!!!

and no, ps2gamer isnt my other half. promise

Berserker
Aug 16th, 2006, 01:21 AM
hahahahhahhhahah oh man!!! CAN I REQUEST A SCREENNAME CHANGE TO DSgamer?!?!??!?

oh mannnn that would be the best!!!

and no, ps2gamer isnt my other half. promise

I think it's about 48.000 gils to change your name, so better start saving up :laugh:

DSgamer
Aug 16th, 2006, 01:47 AM
pff watch, go to off topic.

Berserker
Aug 16th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Lol, you're already there it's 45.000. Congratz gamer oh I'm sorry DSgamer :laugh: