PDA

View Full Version : Will Ffxi Succeed Online!

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 21st, 2002, 09:57 AM
Do you think that the game will actually succeed or do you think it will fail and they will go back to the old style?

Macceh^
Mar 21st, 2002, 10:37 AM
possibly whos to tell personaly the money to frk out for modem etc for the ps2 version is gonna be an issue square have to consider btu hey it may succeed allthogh it may fail.

IcyMourdor
Mar 21st, 2002, 11:04 AM
I'm personally going to get it. I'm not sure about the overall success of the game. A lot of people might what to try it, but it may seem like any other online RPG.

I know a lot of people that are eagerly awaiting for the release of the game. The success of it will be based on how many FF players will like the game. It may be fun to talk to other people online about FF, while playing FF at the same time.

kupoartist
Mar 21st, 2002, 03:23 PM
I'm eagerly anticipating this one, and with each trickle of info we get I'm getting futher ingrossed. If people give it a try, it will work.

Shame it's an exam year next year...

Soul Angel
Mar 21st, 2002, 04:12 PM
I'll also be getting it when it comes out as well and I hope the game will be a success but it could also fail as well, so I going to keep an open mind towards it if it will be a success or not.

As for going back to the old style, I believe they will be doing that for FFXII when it is released and that.

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 21st, 2002, 05:21 PM
I personally would like to play it...but more than likely won't...just because of the whole money factor but the game does look fun.

I have a question though...does anyone know anything about the story...or if there will be one, or is the game mostly to be played for fun?

jenova_jeb
Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:53 AM
I'd really love to give it a go, but I think I'm in the same boat as Sword 4 Hire. I just don't want to shell out that kind of cash for the game. I've got plenty of other games to play though, so I won't be bored.

BlackThornn
Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:31 AM
I make a decent paycheck so I can afford to splurge a little on games a couple of times every month.. I'm saving up for the HDD and the network adapter anyway, so I'm definantly getting Final Fantasy XI.. I'm sure it'll find an audience but FF fans who can't afford to either tie up an existing phone line or install a second one probably won't like it..

I think it should be a mix. Have a single player game with Multiplayer options. I'm waiting to see if the epic feel of past FF games will continue with XI..

kupoartist
Mar 22nd, 2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Sword 4 Hire
I have a question though...does anyone know anything about the story...or if there will be one, or is the game mostly to be played for fun?

The game does indeed have a story. This "version" (they are roughly the same, just with differences in narative) was presented with footage of the game at the recent FF concert in Tokyo:
"It all began with a stone, or so the legend says. In ages past, the sentient jewel, enormous and beautiful, banished the darkness. It's many-colored light filled the world with life and brought forth mighty gods. Bathed in that light, the world entered an age of bliss, until after a time, the gods fell into slumber. That world was called Vana'diel.
"In the 863rd year of the Crystal Era, Vana'diel was in the midst of a great war. Faced with the invasion of the Shadow Lord and his hordes of beastmen, the leaders of the enlightened peoples united their forces in desperate alliance. They were the Kingdom of San D'oria, the Republic of Bastok, the Federation of Windurst, the Grand Duchy of Juno [sic]. Together they struggled for survival in battle after battle as chaos engulfed the land."
Essentially there will be story elements in the game. I trust Square enough, and inital signs are good, So I believe that FFXI will keep quite well to its storyline. If they pull it off, not only will it revolutionise MMORPGs, but FF will finally be able to prove that the series isn't simply 10 minutes of gaming with several hours of FMV inserted ariound it...

Srife
Mar 27th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Wow thanks for that bit of info now FFXi will be a main prority for me to get as well. I was kinda discouraged when i heard it was an online game.