PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 revealed (specs and pictures inside)

Vic Viper
May 16th, 2005, 08:55 PM
PlayStation 3 Pictures (http://ps2fantasy.com/archive/news/20050517/slideshow.php?picture=1)

i like the console design, WTF did they do with the controler.. :boo:

Edit: Images already posted on Ps2Fantasy.com

Vic Viper
May 16th, 2005, 09:04 PM
■ Product name: PlayStation 3
■ Logo: PLAYSTATION(R)3
■ CPU
Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

■ GPU
RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

■ Sound
Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)

■ Memory
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

■ System Bandwidth
Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

■ System Floating Point Performance
2 TFLOPS

■ Storage
Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

■ I/O
USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

■ Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

■ Controller
Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)

■ AV Output
Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

■ Disc Media
CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

Beretta55
May 16th, 2005, 09:20 PM
PlayStation 3 Images (http://ps2fantasy.com/archive/news/20050517/slideshow.php?picture=1)

i like the console design, WTF did they do with the controler.. :boo:
I agree, the console itself looks good, very good in fact. But the controller looks horrible, why the hell are the handles so fricking long? Sony could of made a slight modification on the dual shock to change it up a little, the new controller just looks plain bad. Cant really say for sure how it will feel till I get one but still....that controller looks VERY uncomfortable.

TtTackler
May 16th, 2005, 09:22 PM
I'm liking it except for the controller..

Vic Viper
May 16th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Killzone 2 looks beautiful. hope the gameplay doenst suck this time around. :shy:

http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a004/602/01.jpg
http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a004/602/02.jpg
http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a004/602/03.jpg

New Gran Theft Auto game is launching with the PS3. :arrr:

Gran Turismo 5, Devil May Cry 4 and Tekken 6 are also announced for the PS3 :lick:

merylsilverburg
May 16th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Banana controllers indeed. :mad: What is with the change? The controllers before were perfect...perfect for small-handed people and large-handed people...now with this bizarre design, it looks like the handles would jab my ribs whenever I'm playing a game. :sarcasm:

I can't help but feel like they're rushing it too much, don't you guys think? I mean, the PS2, GC, and Xbox still have potential to present some fantastic and great games, so what's the deal? There's hardly a good bulk of games for the PS2 as there were for the PS1. I don't know...I just feel like us consumers/gamers are being cheated or are becoming a little too demanding that they have to come out with the "next-gen" console every 5 years or something. :disturb:

Regardless, great pics and info Vic. When is the PS3 slated for release?

Vic Viper
May 17th, 2005, 12:10 AM
they just said 2006. no set date has been release yet.

MakgSnake
May 17th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah the console looks pretty nice, nothing THAT special and yup the controller is just plain stupid "3" imitation. They should really change the controller before the launch, because even the picture says that the design and specification is subject to change without the notice and some shit like that.

XBOX 360 controller is really the next step.....you can turn the system on by pressing the XBOX logo on the system, and navigate the XBOX 360 menu while yours playing the game...with the help of that controller. I HOPE all these or atleast similar features are in the DUAL SHOCK 3...whatever they are gonna call it.

Have a feeling the controller will change for sure before the 2006 Spring LAUNCH.

kupoartist
May 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I can't help but feel like they're rushing it too much, don't you guys think? I mean, the PS2, GC, and Xbox still have potential to present some fantastic and great games, so what's the deal? There's hardly a good bulk of games for the PS2 as there were for the PS1. I don't know...I just feel like us consumers/gamers are being cheated or are becoming a little too demanding that they have to come out with the "next-gen" console every 5 years or something. :disturb:
Console turn around has always been about 5 Years or so, so this is nothing new. Graphically, the last generation of consoles were looking long in the tooth as much as 3 years ago (particuarly the PS2, which was technically the worst). The fidelity of PC Games in the last 2 years has put the consoles to shame, and it's not just about graphics - physics, AI and all multitude of things are still reliant on dwindling power in the machines of yesterday. Killzone is a very good example of a game that is just too much for the console it's trying to perform on. The consoles are ancient tech. Most serious PC games update their PC at least every 2 years: I shudder to think of a scenario where I'm forced to play games on the machine I had 5 years ago :o

Though I will add that i'm pretty underwhelmed about the graphics of the next gen. I blame Epic for revealing Unreal Engine 3 last year (thus making the whole mega wonderful graphics thing old news...)... It seriously looks like everyone will be making games with Unreal tech in the next gen ^^

Vic Viper
May 17th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Have a feeling the controller will change for sure before the 2006 Spring LAUNCH.

lets hope so. :disturb:

goodman
May 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I do also question the controller, but hope they will have it figured out by the time the system hits the states! Ps3 for me, for sure, Sony is the only company i will be supporting with my console gaming in the future... oh and good news for my favorite ps2 series, Fatal Frame 3 may well be coming to the U.S. by Halloween, that alone will make my year!

Chara
May 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Well, I suppose with that controller, if you toss it at the TV it will boomerang and smack you in the lip instead....

happy_doughnut
May 19th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I don't know how much I can compain about this boomerang. What the hell is that thing?! I mean, where they on crack when they designed it or what? Christ.

I agree with meryl: I thought the controllers for the PS' were the best. They weren't too big nor too small. They weren't too flashy nor too lame. They were perfect!

Why would they do that? I mean, are they purpsely making it easier for people to injure themselves or what?

Other than that, I like the way this looks. I would have prefered to have seen a smaller console, but it's alright. This is the second best looking one imo.

EDIT: Just curious, if you guys are going to get this, what color are you going to choose?

I like the white one the best. The black one is cool, but there is just too much black already. The silver one is too in bewteen though, and plus, if I were to place that thing horizontally, it would look like my printer O_O.

Phenom
May 19th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I too like the console. I also find the controller a bit odd. Hopefully I can hook the Ps2 controller up to the Ps3 console.... "shrugs" (Can't hurt to hope)

EDIT: Just curious, if you guys are going to get this, what color are you going to choose?
Which ever one I could get my hands on.
I wonder how much it's going to cost..? (Please be $299)

MakgSnake
May 22nd, 2005, 08:44 PM
Which ever one I could get my hands on.
I wonder how much it's going to cost..? (Please be $299)
That would be like living in a dream world. People are thinking it just might go for $599 US. Yeah, the technology it has.....is really expensive at the moment (I mean BLUE RAY isn't out on a PC even) but then again.....the launch is Spring 2006 and I HAVE a feeling that that will be for the JAPANESE market and NORTH AMERICA and EUROPE will get it in the FALL of 2006.........lets just hope by that time which is (1 year and a half) the high tech ends of PS3 goes down and will become cheaper on the launch day. It IS possible.

And about the color......I will get the silver metallic one.

DragonSphere
May 29th, 2005, 07:56 PM
hmm...i wonder if they're gonna stick with that "Spider-Man" movie font too lol...nah maybe not, its too damn cheesy :P

goodman
May 29th, 2005, 08:10 PM
ME WANT ps3 LOL

kamari-ice
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I like the whole thing, controller and all.

I want the silver one also. White is too dull, and black, well black was the PS2 and Xbox.

Why do people always refer to the font as Spider-Man font. It really is not when you look at it. It is suppose to look high tech, and I don't even know why Spider-Man picked a similar font, why couldn't the makers of Spider-Man pick a spider font?

DYNAMITE HACK
Jun 9th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Okay guys I think the controller looks sweet..and one of ps3 guys said at e3 that although it looks uncomfortable its is very comfortable..I support w/e sony is doin..Remember there the designers they know whats good..

RobHardo
Jun 15th, 2005, 07:10 PM
4 CONTROLLER SOCKETS!! FINALLY!!!!!!!! Ive been boycotting buying multi-tap for just a few games...... now that htey have 4 controllers that mean more 4 player games

Vic Viper
Jun 16th, 2005, 01:38 AM
4 CONTROLLER SOCKETS!! FINALLY!!!!!!!! Ive been boycotting buying multi-tap for just a few games...... now that htey have 4 controllers that mean more 4 player games

actually the ps3 supports up to 7 Bluetooth Controllers.:)

Daniel Legge
Jun 18th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Console looks good, i would go for the white one as the black one looks a bit PS2ish and the silver one has been done.

As for the controllers, they look like some of the third party PS1 controllers you used to get. Hope they change it before release.

Berserker
Jun 28th, 2005, 01:17 AM
I'll get that shiny black one :lick:
For the controllers I just hope that they're heavy and not lightweight plastic.

Looking at the specs that doesn't say me to much I'll need to see the goods :laugh:

Infernal Mass
Jul 8th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Just looking at thing makes me want to save money..I'll buy one for the Sony name and the 3rd party support Sony has gathered from the previous generations, the backwards compatibility is a plus too. Although, I think Sony is taking gambles with the Blu-Ray tech, that boomerang bananna double barrel dildo controlller and the overabundance of capabilities..I would like a console to play games on, and a DVD player..cool. but this thing, it will be an entertainment hub for the whole damn neighborhood it seems like...7 wireless controllers!..at 399 I guess it's resonable for all the capabilities, but Sony is taking risks here.

goodman
Jul 8th, 2005, 12:57 PM
IM great to see you back, always one of my favorites here at ps2f. Well although techinically you cant put a down payment down on a ps3 yet, the manager of a Gamestop i know let me put down $50 (which was me trading in DMC3) for a Xbox 360, which he can transfer to a ps3 when the ability to put a down payment becomes available. So i will be 3rd or 4th on their list for a ps3. That happened with the ps2 with another old friend manager at Gamestop. So i will definitely be one of the first gen owners of the ps3. It will be the only format i plan on supporting in the future....

merylsilverburg
Sep 18th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I don't know if this is true or not but....

My sister is taking a Business class in college and she has to keep up with the stock market. She just told me that because the PS3 discs support Blu-Ray, games might sell for $80-90 otherwise SONY won't be able to make a profit for using the Blu-Ray technology. :shock: This is recent news so I don't know what SONY will decide but um...

...Are they kidding me?! $80-$90 for one game? The stock market is advising SONY to not use the Blu-Ray technology and lower the price down to at least $60, that way, consumers will be more willing to buy the games. I mean, the stocks are afraid of losing money too...they were helped out by IBM because SONY was in trouble a while back...yet, they're still as snooty as ever. What are they thinking?

Berserker
Oct 4th, 2005, 01:33 AM
I heard the same rumour about the prices, but I didn't hear about the reason of blu-ray technology. I don't think sony's gonna make the games 1,5 times the price of xbox-games, that would be commercial suicide.