PDA

View Full Version : Sony in trouble?

jjmoohead
Apr 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Hey everyone, at a gaming community I am appart of, someone posted about sony being sued and now having to recal a bunch of stuff...well here is what he said...

As I'm sure some of you know, Sony was recently fined in court for $90 million and asked to stop selling the Playstation and Playstation 2s which infringe on the patents, or rather the dualshock controllers do. Also more than 40 games are being pulled from shelves.

However there is now hope. Sony in a new plan to keep the playstation consoles alive has begun to recall its units from stores and will now be removing the controller from the box and slapping a new price of $129.99 and slapping a sticker on the box stating "No controller included, please purchase at store." However its doubtful the 40+ games will be allowed back on the market.

Edit: Yes. stand alone controllers are being recalled as well.

So, if your planning on getting a PS2 with a good controller and some games that you will never see again, GET IT NOW!!! Cuz if you wait, you will have to use crappy 3rd party controllers.

I don't recal hearing about this and there was no link provided. Is there any truth to this?

trunks69420
Apr 8th, 2005, 01:42 PM
wow.. i dont think this could be true.. sony has so much clout in the industry nowadays... i kindof doubt they would be forced to do this.. was this posted on april 1st by any chance??

TtTackler
Apr 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM
It's very true.

http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/news2/new.asp?newID=3225

IcyMourdor
Apr 8th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Yep, it is very true. Sony got sued, but it seems that it won't hurt them too much.

trunks69420
Apr 8th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Yep, it is very true. Sony got sued, but it seems that it won't hurt them too much.

Well.. i'm wrong :D. i didnt feel like lookin it up and now i look like the ass. but i'm *sobs* okay with that.

Vic Viper
Apr 8th, 2005, 07:48 PM
no biggie they can still sell the product as long as they keep appealing in court. they'll probably streach that it so long till the ps3 arrive.

but theyre still pretty stupid for not setteling out of court like microsoft did.

DSgamer
Apr 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM
haha yea i read about that a while ago then i bought 2 dual shock 2s cuz mine werebroken

Redpyramidhead
Apr 11th, 2005, 02:41 AM
What? This sounds absolutely ridiculous. How is a dual shock 2 controller in any way a copyright infringement, let alone 40 of the PS2's games? It seems to me like some people are jealous of Sony's success and what a slice of the pie. I would not put it past Sony to infringe a tiny bit, especially accidentally on purpose, but this is ridiculous. What about all of the gaming developers swallowed up by microsoft for their own financial benefits? For some reason I doubt that Sony will be forced to not include their own controller with their units and all of this said ridiculous bullshit. Which game titles are being referred to I would like to know. Btw, mourdor, your link is to ps2 related news, but not to this particular topic.

_RED_ stuff

Vic Viper
Apr 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM
What? This sounds absolutely ridiculous. How is a dual shock 2 controller in any way a copyright infringement, let alone 40 of the PS2's games? It seems to me like some people are jealous of Sony's success and what a slice of the pie. I would not put it past Sony to infringe a tiny bit, especially accidentally on purpose, but this is ridiculous. What about all of the gaming developers swallowed up by microsoft for their own financial benefits? For some reason I doubt that Sony will be forced to not include their own controller with their units and all of this said ridiculous bullshit. Which game titles are being referred to I would like to know. Btw, mourdor, your link is to ps2 related news, but not to this particular topic.

_RED_ stuff

not the dual shock itself but its RUMBLE/vibrating Function of the dual shock was problem.

TtTackler
Apr 11th, 2005, 01:59 PM

_RED_ stuff

Actually, Sony should be punished.

They refused to acknowledge a patent from another company and claimed it as their own technology. Very stupid mistake on their part and they deserved to be punished. And it is the vibration feedback technology inside the controller that is patented, not the controller itself.

goodman
Apr 12th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I think Sony will slide through it fine, though, Darren, the company has more than a tad bit of money in their bank accounts! :laugh

Redpyramidhead
Apr 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Actually, this is one of those times I feel I must reconsider what I said before. You are right, if sony committed a copyright infringement, it was very stupid of them and they should have to pay up. BIG TIME. However, this does seem like such a strange thing to have gone mostly unnoticed for so long. Makes me wonder.

_RED_ stuff