PDA

View Full Version : The Thing

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 19th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Well i heard of this game some while ago and its spose to baised on the events on the movie or atleast after them and i was wondering what people think of it.I'll will post some pics later.

Mercury Shadow
Mar 19th, 2002, 02:41 PM
looks kinda stupid to me, but in general, i'm not a big fan of third person shooters... I forget what the plot was, but it sounded weak.

merylsilverburg
Mar 19th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Nope, never heard of it.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 19th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Heres some pics of the game

Shoot (http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/thing/thing_1.jpg)
Looks like half life (http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/thing/thing_5.jpg)
Creature (http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/thing/thing_6.jpg)
Shoot the guy (http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/thing/thing_4.jpg)
Big guy (http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews/image/thing/thing_2.jpg)

News on the game

When movie director John Carpenter remade the film The Thing in 1982, the horror film fused frightfully grotesque imagery that was so campy people either laughed out loud or were scared out of their wits. It performed well in the box office, but grew into a kind of classic horror film for those who loved the genre. Little did his know how potentially perfectly the movie would become in 2001 as a game.
Now that it's an independent publisher, Universal Interactive Studios knows exactly how perfect The Thing could be. The Thing, a single-player survival-horror game, developed by Computer Artworks, and due for multiple game consoles in spring 2002.

The game starts off where the movie left its movie viewers many moons ago. Soon after the strange, unexplainable deaths of an American scientific expedition on a base in the Antarctic, a Norwegian and US military joint effort arrive at the base to investigate the mysterious scene. Little do they know what they will find. Based on the same elements that made the movie so enjoyable fear, suspense, and the possibility that your own co-worker may have just been infected. The Thing promises to deliver a knockout punch of action and suspense.

Players slowly creep into the action with the help of several non-player characters (NPCs), who can be controlled and used to protect and aid you and your team. Using a core team of engineers, medics, and soldiers, players must manage and control their level of trust in, and fear of, you. They react to your actions, and might betray you, if they think you might be the Thing.

Conversely, you must constantly monitor which one of them might be infected, and possibly dispose of them. They must trust you, but if they fear you, actions as drastic as coercion might be necessary. One example is that if a soldier doesn't trust you, you may have to put your gun to his head to convince him you're not The Thing; for his sake, he better believe.

Going for the psychological thriller aspect of the survival horror genre, gamers will see the game from set camera angles to create tension and fear, and during action scenes, they can either watch from a set angle or switch into third-person perspective. Options provide players to switch at any time from auto-fire aim to manual aim, with a lock-on function. Fifty percent of the game takes place indoors, and 50% occurs outdoors; players must also use their noggins, too -- because, by staying outdoors for too long they risk the chance of freezing.

The Thing appears during the game in various shapes and forms, just like in the movie. It may appear in a smaller form of a Scuttlers, a fast-moving, cat-sized crab-like creature, as an infected NPC, which look like a regular human but definitely are not, or something loosely called Wretchers (we weren't quite sure exactly what they were called), which are huge, tree-like and sized creatures requiring a party of soldiers to kill.

Using next-generation technology, Computer Artworks is using realtime lighting, shown for example via characters' flashlights, weather (snow storms) and particle effects to create a visually compelling game. Players can expect to hear subtle sound effects and cues, as well as in-game cut-scenes to fill in the story.

All in all, Computer Artworks is going after a blend of action, suspense, and adventure, but to differentiate the game from other survival-horror games, the NPC characters, and how you manage them, is key to this game's potential success. Take a look at these screenshots and enjoy. We'll have more soon enough.

Cannibal Clown
Mar 21st, 2002, 08:13 PM
Wow! That does sound like a pretty kick ass game!

The story sounds awesome and I love the whole aspect of you haveing to keep trust among the characters. That makes the game seem very unique. And I love the option of going in and out of first person. That's just cool. I never got into first person, but with the option of both, I should enjoy this game a lot.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
This is a must get along with (RHL)Run like H*ll.Very original games.