PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite game of all time?

Kaolla Su
Feb 7th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah so whats the best game you've ever played old or new? It will give people ideas on games they should check out.

My favorite game is

..............Tactical.....Espionage....Action
METAL GEAR
.....................S..O..L..I..D..

absinthe_fairy
Feb 9th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hard decision to make considering I have a lot of favourite games. But an indefinite one would have to be Suikoden I and II. Those games are RPG heaven in my eyes. Not even Final Fantasy VII engaged me as much as they did.

RobHardo
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:34 PM
2way tie:

Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
--and--
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(N64)

hmm considering my choices here, perhaps this should just be in the general section of the forums.

Infernal Mass
Feb 14th, 2005, 11:36 PM
of all time....

ninja gaiden on xbox

Vic Viper
Feb 15th, 2005, 10:48 AM
of all time....

ninja gaiden on xbox

im surprise you didnt say a R* game or tomb raider. :shy:

anyway my fav. game of all time is Metal Gear Solid 3.^__^

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Its a toss up between MGS3 and RE4.

dan da man
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I’m not going to say until I get my copy of MGS 3, its got Vic's and Sasuke's vote so it looks promising to be my no 1 game!

But at the moment its Metal Gear Solid and closley Golden Eye

Always the hardest choise to make in video games.

Vic Viper
Feb 17th, 2005, 04:04 PM
I’m not going to say until I get my copy of MGS 3, its got Vic's and Sasuke's vote so it looks promising to be my no 1 game!

But at the moment its Metal Gear Solid and closley Golden Eye

Always the hardest choise to make in video games.

you'll know its the greatest the first minute you've played it. :)

btw, have you played the demo yet ? ive heared the new OPM uk mag. will come with the mgs3 demo.

dan da man
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:12 PM
you'll know its the greatest the first minute you've played it. :)

btw, have you played the demo yet ? ive heared the new OPM uk mag. will come with the mgs3 demo.

I dunno to be honest, thanks for the tip il check it out tomos at my local store.

Infernal Mass
Feb 19th, 2005, 04:26 PM
im surprise you didnt say a R* game or tomb raider. :shy:

anyway my fav. game of all time is Metal Gear Solid 3.^__^

I like rockstar north alot, they have made some great individual efforts in my eyes. They've established a reputation.. GTA3,GTA:VC,GTA SA and even Manhunt are all great games targeted to a mature audience. As for your comment on TR, the original games will always be classics to me. I'm hoping that the new TR will revitalize the franchise and win back some of the support it lost with AOD.

Now onto Ninja Gaiden, my tastes evolve as games offer more freedom to me. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but it's not powerful enough to overshadow the fact that things always get better as technology progresses. Although, an experiance may not be able to duplicate itself entirely, it is possible for an experiance to become even better. Ninja Gaiden is a better experiance, it's the total package, graphics,sound,story,action,controls..it's a masterpeice. Above all else though it's challenging, give it a try sometime..

Vic Viper
Feb 19th, 2005, 08:57 PM
i want to play NG but i dont have an xbox.. :cry:

Kerotan#6
Mar 2nd, 2005, 09:15 PM
fav game has really got to be FFVII and/or FFVIII they seemed to keep my attention and they took me the most time to play through but next on my list is mos def MGS3: SE

happy_doughnut
Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
When I first joined this place, I proclaimed loud and clear that my favorite game at that time was Final Fantasy 8. Now, almost 3 years later, I proclaim loud and clear that my favorite game now is... still Final Fantasy 8.

Over the time span of 3 years, I have managed to play a significant number of other games from different genres and platforms. Yet no game I have played thus far has ever intrigued me as much as this game.

This game is not as underrated as FF9, but that is simply because most of its spotlight, has, unfortunately, been in the negative light. Many proclaim that this is the absolute worst FF in the series (my vote goes to FFX and it retarded counterpart).

I think differently, though. I think that much of the unppeal of this game is both its storyline along with the junction system. I, on the other hand, think that the main appeal of this game is the storyling and its junction system. This said, I think that FF8 is either a love it or hate it type of game; there is no in between.

The story truly was a love story, but not a sappy one at that. It was a story that entwined many aspects of tragedy and despair, which again, some like, the others don't. Also, the battle system of this FF departed from the traditional MP practice. Here, you actually had to draw magic either from enemies or from draw spots scattered all over the world. Naturally, since this means that any magic can be acquired at virtually any character level, the most powerful spell were either owned by tough fiends or were in hard to reach places. Since you could junction spells to your stats, and thus uncrease them, this also meant that while in battle, you couldn't just keep using Ultima, Ultima, Ultima because if you had this junction to say, your vitality slot, then your HP would dimminish right there in battle consequently. This, of course, soon became a hated feature because it meant that while magic was able to boost your stats, it was able to lower them equally, if not more... and all in one battle! Again, I on the other hand, thought this was great because this meant that you actually had to have some sort of strategy. This means that hitting the "Auto Junction" option was not really the best way to go, but that rather the best this to do would be to sit down and take time to junction them to whatever you saw most suitting. This also meant that while in battle, you couldn't simply use your strongest spells to zap monsters even though you were allowed to carry 100 of each. It meant that your best best against monsters with a terribly high HP (Omega Weapon, anyone?), you ACTUALLY had to use elemental attributes (when possible) and that you ACTUALLY needed your summons (GFs), which were in itself, another rut, since they could take forever to pop up if you didn't have a good compatability with them. Basically, if you don't use them, when you actually need them, they are not going to come soon and when they do, it'll be likely that either them or you will be KO'd... and if THEY got KO'd, then too bad for you because that makes them unusable for the remainder of that battle... no phoenix downs, no nothing!

See? The battle system was incredibly complex, at first, anyway and quite strategic from beginning to end. So yeah, I can see why many people don't like it, but I absolutely did.

I just found it to be amazing in every aspect, from characters, plot, to timeplay.

So yes, I'll stop now. But again, my vote goes to Final Fantasy VIII. Besides, I absolutely :love: Squall. ^^;

LeCrap
Mar 4th, 2005, 11:05 PM
I have a tie between Sonic Spinball, Half-Life, Twisted Metal 2, all the gameboy Pokemon games, Crash Bandicoot, and Final Fantasy 7.

kupoartist
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Many proclaim that this is the absolute worst FF in the series (my vote goes to FFX and it retarded counterpart).
Agreed.

My favorite game of all time? Obviously (http://www.kupoartist.eclipse.co.uk/hl2shots/gman03.jpg)

Phenom
Mar 5th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Now onto Ninja Gaiden, my tastes evolve as games offer more freedom to me. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but it's not powerful enough to overshadow the fact that things always get better as technology progresses. Although, an experiance may not be able to duplicate itself entirely, it is possible for an experiance to become even better. Ninja Gaiden is a better experiance, it's the total package, graphics,sound,story,action,controls..it's a masterpeice. Above all else though it's challenging, give it a try sometime..
Agreed. This game actually had me on my toes in boss fights because that's how much it pissed me off. If there were more games that puts up quite a challenge on a normal difficulty setting. (I am not including MGS 3 yet since I haven't beatin it ^_^) I love challenging games that has nice controls (gameplay), graphics, and story. And it's actually not one of those button masher where you can just attack without defending. Far more strategic than that. It's very rare to come across one of those games in this day in age. Ninja Gaiden is my pick. (Plus I'm a ninja fan)

Off-topic- I hear people are comparing Devil May Cry 3 to Ninja Gaiden. Is it really that difficult?

Billyum7
Mar 10th, 2005, 04:15 PM
the best game ever is 007 goldeneye for n64!

GuitarHero30017
Jan 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
My favorite game of all time would definitly be mike tysons punchout for the NES i never beat it but i got to mike tyson when i was drunk one night

Phenom
Jan 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Agreed. This game actually had me on my toes in boss fights because that's how much it pissed me off. If there were more games that puts up quite a challenge on a normal difficulty setting. (I am not including MGS 3 yet since I haven't beatin it ^_^) I love challenging games that has nice controls (gameplay), graphics, and story. And it's actually not one of those button masher where you can just attack without defending. Far more strategic than that. It's very rare to come across one of those games in this day in age. Ninja Gaiden is my pick. (Plus I'm a ninja fan)

Off-topic- I hear people are comparing Devil May Cry 3 to Ninja Gaiden. Is it really that difficult?
Wow, I don't remember posting in this thread at all lol.

But I guess it's time for an update since Ninja Gaiden is no longer my all time favorite.

I have quite a few favorites now, and trying to decide which one is my top favorite is hard because I think I like them equally... for the time being.

Devil May Cry 3 - Unlike Ninja Gaiden (I believe God of War doesn't carry over either after beating the game. I don't remember), everything carries over to a new game. And I like going through without having the need to find all them weapons again. The flashing cut-scenes is what really did it for me in this one though. I don't think you can get any flashier than that. (If there are any games with flashier cut-scenes, let me know lol)

Kingdom Hearts 2 - I still hate Sora, but he's more tolerable in this one than he is in the first. Sora = Naruto in this one. (But then again Kingdom Hearts 2 has Naruto written all over it lol.) Stupid and naive. In any case, it's not the best game, but it's simple and straight forward. And besides, hack n slashers are my type of games. And like DMC3, majority of the cut-scenes were top notch.

Organization 13 = Akatsuki :D

Chrono Trigger - Who'd have ever thought an old game like this would end up being one of my favorites. First game I've played in a long time where "all" the characters were good. No one was annoying, granted that there were a couple of stupid tech's that should've been lefted out. For a SNES game, and 2D graphics, no less, I actually like how most of the techs look. I wouldn't mind seeing a Chrono Trigger remake for the ps2.

Final Fantasy 8 - This is probably the only game that I've played more than 4 times. (outside of DMC3) Once you learn how the junction system works, it becomes all too easy, giving the fact that you can gain access to some of the best magic at the beginning of the game, and can probably hold your own on the 4th disc with your setup from the 1st. I don't know, I haven't tried it. (I did get my Lionheart before getting off the 1st disc though XD.)

Shenmue - This used to be a game that I could play over and over because I wanted to fill in the notebook as well as get better in fighting. (particularly master my throwing and dodging/blocking). I say "used to" because the camera angles make it hard to enjoy the game like I did back then. But nevertheless, it is still a favorite. The 2nd Shenmue on the other hand, I think I actually hate that one now lol. They made Ryo just really stupid and naive. (Plus the voice work and camera)

That's about it for the time being. There are some games I want to try out though:

Baiten Kaitos Origins
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
Valkyrie Profile 2
Rogue Galaxy (Again)
Phoenix Wright??
Suikoden 3

Just to name a few that I'm looking into

Vasja
Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
As for me - my TOP 3 PlayStation3 Games exactly the same with TestFreaks' (based on expert and user reviews worldwide)

1. Burnout Paradise
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
3. Devil May Cry 4

jjmoohead
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:44 AM
For me this sort of question has to be examined in more detail. To look at the best games of all time you have to ask, well what part of the game? Graphics? Storyline? Fun?

One could argue that the newest games are the best of all time cause they look the best for example.

However for me, the best game of all time for me, based on the hours played, the time spent with friends etc, would have to be Super Spike V-Ball for the original Nintendo. All 8 bits of glory it presented us with.

george0123
Jul 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Well for me the best game for PS2 is God of War, Very good plit, story and as well as the gameplay, its not only your hands doing the job as well as your brains

Primal Shadow
Sep 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Primal , new and original

OldSnakeWontDie
Sep 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'd say Metal Gear Solid 3 so far. But back in the day, Donkey Kong Country and Pokemon Yellow.

simpleviolet
Jun 17th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Jak 3. Always has been and always will be. Jak 2 comes pretty close as well as Metal Gear Solid 3 and I thought Fallout 3 would beat it if it hadn't been hella glitchey on the PS3, felt extremely random, and the ending screws you over if you didn't save 30 minutes earlier. That's why I like Jak 3 because when you're done you play again with all your stuf and can still get more.

Phenom
Feb 15th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Wow, I don't remember posting in this thread at all lol.

But I guess it's time for an update since Ninja Gaiden is no longer my all time favorite.

I have quite a few favorites now, and trying to decide which one is my top favorite is hard because I think I like them equally... for the time being.

Devil May Cry 3
Kingdom Hearts 2
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 8
Shenmue

Hmm... As I read this now all I can say is wow, lol (Can't believe I actually said Kingdom Hearts was a favorite, especially considering now that I can barely stand the game). Anyway, because I finally got some free time, and I'm bored I decided to update my list.

01. Metal Gear Solid 3 - I don't know what happened, but somehow this game ended up off my list completely, and I drifted away from it when it was my #1 when I first got my hands on it. But now with the release of Metal Gear Rising on the way, and a renewed interest to play MGS3, it quickly regained it's dominance on my favorites. Eventually it'll end up being replaced by MGS4 when I actually play it, but for the time being MGS3 is on top. It has everything I like plus some. There's no wrong way to play the game, and it gives you the option of going in guns blazing as well as doing stealth. The characters are very memorable along with its story. Now I'm not the type to look for story in my games, but if it's there I'll pay attention to it, especially if it draws me in. I love the graphics and the cutscenes. Probably the best looking game on the PS2.

02. Devil May Cry 3 - Could've easily been DMC4, but I chose 3 because Vergil's in it, and I like playing as him. I can easily lose myself in this game (along with DMC4) because, when it comes to pulling off certain moves I'm easily entertained by it. I don't play these type of games for the challenge, nor do I play it for the story, but I play it just for the sake of having fun, and when it comes to these type of games DMC delivers more than the other games in the category. Plus having a badass main character helps.

03. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - This along with Super Street Fighter 4 (mainly SSF4) renewed my interest in fighting games, but it wasn't until I went to EVO last year to spectate was when I really wanted to learn the game. And not to mention it's just so hype to watch. I like that it's not a real deep fighter. I like that it's one of those games you can pick up and go nuts with your friends and family, although I do want to be better than them in this. Sure I have questions about some of the characters in this game, but overall I really enjoy this game.

04. Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition - Me and SSF4: AE is like being in a relationship. One moment you love it, and then the next moment you hate it. It's a very rewarding game once you actually learn it, but unfortunately I haven't had much time put into learning the game (especially when the training and challenge mode is on the boring side) due to work. Despite the complexity of learning how to utilize FADC I love that it's here, especially since it makes combos look more flashy. The game is very technical and I love it (despite me raging a lot lol)

05. Shenmue - The only game I've played that's actually calmed me down when I was extremely frustrated. Till this day I can play this game and still feel refreshed. The story of martial arts mixed with revenge, if pulled off correctly, can really net satisfying results, and I feel Shenmue pulled it off nicely. So sad that I don't have a dreamcast anymore, otherwise I'd be playing this right now. I did hear that Shemue HD collection may be in the works, though, so I'm looking forward to that (and I'm still hopeful for Shenmue 3)

06. Mass Effect 2 - This spot could've easily been Mass Effect 1 since I feel that Mass Effect 1 did so many things right that it just pulled me in and made for quite the experience. However, Mass Effect 2 improved upon Mass Effect 1 till it trumps it completely. If there's one thing I could do away with, it's the wandering around looking for ammo. I liked that you didn't have to look for ammo in ME1, and would've loved to not have to scurry about looking for ammo, but other than that ME2 is great. So great that I've yet to finish the game because I don't want the game to end, especially hearing that some of the characters aren't on your squad in ME3, and I've grown quite attached to my squad in ME2, especially Miranda, Garrus and Tali.

07. Okami - The one game that comes close to giving me that serene feeling that Shenmue gives me. Okami does it differently though. I get that serene feeling just by looking at the game itself. The artwork, setting, when things blossoms in full effect, all that just puts me at ease. If there's one flaw I have to point out about Okami it's that it should've ended at an earlier point of the game. It's been a while since I've played it, but I do remember never finishing it because it felt like it was dragging entirely too much, but other than that I enjoyed it. Sure it takes some things from Zelda, but I'm currently having some issues with Zelda (using the same formula from OoT entirely too much till I'm bored with the series), and I feel that Okami is better suited for me. I was iffy about playing as an animal at first, but in the end it's no different than playing as a person.

08. Halo: Reach - The main reason I like this game over Halo 3 is because there are no floods whatsofrickenever. My goodness I hate them things. And to play a Halo game without them felt truly refreshing. And then the campaign was too good even though it was fairly short. I really enjoyed the characters. Enjoyed them so much that I even put "Noble" as my PSN name (NobleSavage). I can't say anything about multiplayer since I don't play it. Single player, ah, yes, this is beastly.

09. Assassin's Creed 2 - More than likely to be replaced by one of the later games in the series, but for now, AC2 did so many things right. Like I said, I don't play games for story, but if it's there, and it's presented well, I'm game. Originally I was turned away from the AC series because of AC1, but AC2 was a big step up, and I immediately took to it. I love the idea of going about objectives the way you want instead of being forced to do it one way or another. Eventually it keeps repeating and that did bog it down a little bit. But then there's Ezio. Ezio is such a charismatic character, and then there's the free-run platforming (if that's what it's called), I love it when it works, but hate it when I die or lose a large amount of health due to Ezio not jumping in the direction I tell him to. For the most part I enjoy this game though. I don't care about history at all (unless it's Japanese), but if people throw their own little twist on it like this it can make for one exciting experience.

10. Final Fantasy 8 - I came into the rpgs late, and this was my first rpg. And at that time I clicked with it because I saw myself relating to Squall quite a bit. Not so much as being emo or whatever, but the way he responded to people felt right at home with me. Also, I'm not real big into rpgs either. I mainly got this one just to look at the summons and limit breaks, but who knew that I'd end up becoming addicted to the game at that time as well, especially after coming off games like DMC3 and MGS3? The junction system and the card game were little perks that kept me entertained as well, but the junction system itself when I got used to it stuck gold. Also, this is the only game that I've sold 3 times, and bought 4.

And there you have it. There are some games I've yet to play (but I've seen full playthroughs of) that can easily replace some of these choices. Uncharted 2 being 1 along with Metal Gear Solid 4 and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Revelations and 3. As for honorable mentions;

Devil May Cry 4
Ninja Gaiden 1&2
God of War 1&2 (yet to play 3)
Darksiders 2
Guilty Gear X2

I'm also curious to see if folks lists have changed at all.