PDA

View Full Version : Wheel or Dual Shock?

Drafter-T
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:39 PM
What do use to play racing games? Wheel? What brand?

I'm a wheel guy myself with the Logitech Driving Force Pro. There's not a better PS2 wheel out there. Kinda pricey, but if you love racing games, you'll love the wheel.

There was a time not too long ago that I was real comfortable with that dual shock in my hands (except that my thumb hurt like heck!), but after spending alot of time getting used to the DFP, I can't even hardly drive with that DS anymore. The wheel doesn't automatically make you a better racer, but there are lots of turns that you can make alot easier with the wheel and the pedals make it alot easier to feather the throttle and pump the brake when needed.

Get the wheel!! :yell: :D

FATT47
Jan 14th, 2005, 07:25 AM
What do use to play racing games? Wheel? What brand?

I'm a wheel guy myself with the Logitech Driving Force Pro. There's not a better PS2 wheel out there. Kinda pricey, but if you love racing games, you'll love the wheel.

There was a time not too long ago that I was real comfortable with that dual shock in my hands (except that my thumb hurt like heck!), but after spending alot of time getting used to the DFP, I can't even hardly drive with that DS anymore. The wheel doesn't automatically make you a better racer, but there are lots of turns that you can make alot easier with the wheel and the pedals make it alot easier to feather the throttle and pump the brake when needed.

Get the wheel!! :yell: :D

I have the Logitech DFP myself and after about 5 months of usin it I can't imagine goin back to the DS.
For some racin games the DS is ok, NASCAR with its basically left turn scenario is ok with the DS and maybe the ATV type of games is ok, but still that X button for the gas (probably the most used) gets real old after a while if ya race alot.

When I use to race with the DSC my thumb actually felt like it was dead, no feelin in it as long as I continued on a heavy racin schedule.

The DFP wheel gives a racer the feel of a real car goin into and out of turns, the control ya have compared to a DSC is amazin and like Drafter says, the pedals are vert responsive, plus they're alot better then havin numb thumbs :yuck:

Drafter-T
Jan 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I have the Logitech DFP myself and after about 5 months of usin it I can't imagine goin back to the DS.
For some racin games the DS is ok, NASCAR with its basically left turn scenario is ok with the DS and maybe the ATV type of games is ok, but still that X button for the gas (probably the most used) gets real old after a while if ya race alot.

When I use to race with the DSC my thumb actually felt like it was dead, no feelin in it as long as I continued on a heavy racin schedule.

The DFP wheel gives a racer the feel of a real car goin into and out of turns, the control ya have compared to a DSC is amazin and like Drafter says, the pedals are vert responsive, plus they're alot better then havin numb thumbs :yuck:
Yeah, it probably does depend on what game you are playing. With some games the wheel seems to work better than others. Like in NT2004 and NASCAR '05, I thought the DFP was way too sensitive on the straights, but it felt really good in the corners.

Then I guess there are arcade games like Burnout 3 where the DS would still be better. Overall though, I give the wheel 2 thumbs up (thumbs that aren't sore, lol).

FATT47
Jan 14th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah, it probably does depend on what game you are playing. With some games the wheel seems to work better than others. Like in NT2004 and NASCAR '05, I thought the DFP was way too sensitive on the straights, but it felt really good in the corners.

Then I guess there are arcade games like Burnout 3 where the DS would still be better. Overall though, I give the wheel 2 thumbs up (thumbs that aren't sore, lol).

I haven't tried the DFP with any other games besides NASCAR 2005 and now ToCA so I can't form any opinons other then with those two games.
I'd like to try it though, I'm sure when GT4 comes out we'll see the true test and hopefully the max benefit from spendin all that coin, I hope.

It might be good we don't have any more racin games then we do, I know I can't afford to have that wheel break so as long as I can make it last and not wear out the better off I am :approve:

Hey, I think a racer like WOO would be a cool game if it supported the DFP wheel?

Drafter-T
Jan 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I haven't tried the DFP with any other games besides NASCAR 2005 and now ToCA so I can't form any opinons other then with those two games.
I'd like to try it though, I'm sure when GT4 comes out we'll see the true test and hopefully the max benefit from spendin all that coin, I hope.

It might be good we don't have any more racin games then we do, I know I can't afford to have that wheel break so as long as I can make it last and not wear out the better off I am :approve:

Hey, I think a racer like WOO would be a cool game if it supported the DFP wheel?
Hey, if we haven't broken the wheel at Bathurst in TOCA 2, then we probably won't break it, LMAO! The wheel sure does seem solid, as well it should for that kind of money.

Yeah, GT4 should be the ultimate test of the DFP, but it works so good with TOCA 2, how can it get any better?? I love the calibration options in TOCA 2 also.

I'll tell you this about WOO, I know it doesn't support a wheel, but Saturday Night Speedway does and it's pretty much the sequel to WOO. It's made by Ratbag and is set up basically the same. Anyhoo, the wheel is really super sensitive with SNS. I've got it and have tried it a few times and I just can't get past the sensitivity.

Having said that, it seems like any game that doesn't support 900 deg steering might be too sensitive with the DFP?? Just a theory, but that's been my experience. Of course, it might just be that I've gotten so used to 900 deg in TOCA, that I can't go back to the old way. 900 deg steering is the way to go, IMO.

FATT47
Jan 14th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Hey, if we haven't broken the wheel at Bathurst in TOCA 2, then we probably won't break it, LMAO! The wheel sure does seem solid, as well it should for that kind of money.

Yeah, GT4 should be the ultimate test of the DFP, but it works so good with TOCA 2, how can it get any better?? I love the calibration options in TOCA 2 also.

I'll tell you this about WOO, I know it doesn't support a wheel, but Saturday Night Speedway does and it's pretty much the sequel to WOO. It's made by Ratbag and is set up basically the same. Anyhoo, the wheel is really super sensitive with SNS. I've got it and have tried it a few times and I just can't get past the sensitivity.

Having said that, it seems like any game that doesn't support 900 deg steering might be too sensitive with the DFP?? Just a theory, but that's been my experience. Of course, it might just be that I've gotten so used to 900 deg in TOCA, that I can't go back to the old way. 900 deg steering is the way to go, IMO.

LOL, yeah, sometimes playin ToCA I think I'm goin to snap the wheel off or turn so hard it might slip a gear on the shaft or somethin, it is build good that's for sure.

Ya know ya told me about that Saturday Night Speedway sometime back and I looked for it but I couldn't find it.
Do ya think anyone has it?, maybe EB games or ToysRus maybe?
Does it support the 900 degree or just lesser?
Man, I wish I could find that game, it isn't online though is it?

You might be right about the sensitivity with games that don't have the 900 degree thang, it was ok with NASCAR 2005 but on the road courses it wasn't as good.

Drafter-T
Jan 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM
LOL, yeah, sometimes playin ToCA I think I'm goin to snap the wheel off or turn so hard it might slip a gear on the shaft or somethin, it is build good that's for sure.

Ya know ya told me about that Saturday Night Speedway sometime back and I looked for it but I couldn't find it.
Do ya think anyone has it?, maybe EB games or ToysRus maybe?
Does it support the 900 degree or just lesser?
Man, I wish I could find that game, it isn't online though is it?

You might be right about the sensitivity with games that don't have the 900 degree thang, it was ok with NASCAR 2005 but on the road courses it wasn't as good.
No, SNS doesn't support 900 deg steering, but I can't imagine you'd really need it on those dirt tracks.

I'm not sure where it might be available. I got it at Gamestop several months ago for $20, but no, it's not online. Truthfully though, I haven't played it too much. Never could get used to the sliding feeling around the turns.

You liked WOO alot more than I did though, so you might like it. I'd be surprised if you like the wheel with it though. Been wrong before...

I bet you could find it on the net somewhere if you can't find it in a store. It's not the most popular game that ever came out, so it may be hard to find in person.

FATT47
Jan 14th, 2005, 10:37 AM
No, SNS doesn't support 900 deg steering, but I can't imagine you'd really need it on those dirt tracks.

I'm not sure where it might be available. I got it at Gamestop several months ago for $20, but no, it's not online. Truthfully though, I haven't played it too much. Never could get used to the sliding feeling around the turns.

You liked WOO alot more than I did though, so you might like it. I'd be surprised if you like the wheel with it though. Been wrong before...

I bet you could find it on the net somewhere if you can't find it in a store. It's not the most popular game that ever came out, so it may be hard to find in person.

I'm goin to the big city Mon. or Tues. I think so If I get a chance I'll check out EB games and Gamestop.
For $20 bucks it might be some different game action for a break any way.

Drafter-T
Jan 14th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I'm goin to the big city Mon. or Tues. I think so If I get a chance I'll check out EB games and Gamestop.
For $20 bucks it might be some different game action for a break any way.
If you go to Gamestop's website you can find the game and then enter your zip code to see if they have it in stock. Don't know about EB since I don't have one where I'm at. It might save you some time if you can do that.

FATT47
Jan 15th, 2005, 10:17 AM
If you go to Gamestop's website you can find the game and then enter your zip code to see if they have it in stock. Don't know about EB since I don't have one where I'm at. It might save you some time if you can do that.

Yeah, I may do that and see if it's available.
I wont have a bunch of time to spend in the city so if it works out and I can get it I will.

Drafter-T
Jan 15th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I may do that and see if it's available.
I wont have a bunch of time to spend in the city so if it works out and I can get it I will.
Don't go to too much trouble to find it FATT. Heck, for that matter, I can just send you mine to try out. Seriously, let me know in a PM or e-mail. Mine is just collecting dust anyway.

FATT47
Jan 16th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Don't go to too much trouble to find it FATT. Heck, for that matter, I can just send you mine to try out. Seriously, let me know in a PM or e-mail. Mine is just collecting dust anyway.

Hey that's cool of ya, if ya don't mind bein without for a while that game is probably the only one at this time we both don't have LOL
I'll send ya a mailin address in an e-mail and I'll shoot the game back to ya after I check it out, great, thanks.

Drafter-T
Jan 16th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Hey that's cool of ya, if ya don't mind bein without for a while that game is probably the only one at this time we both don't have LOL
I'll send ya a mailin address in an e-mail and I'll shoot the game back to ya after I check it out, great, thanks.
Well, since the game is just serving as a dust collector on my shelf right now, I think I can spare it for a while, lol. I wouldn't do that for just anybody, but you and I have been friends long enough that I know I can trust you. Having said that though, I wouldn't send you a game that I like alot though, lol. Don't want you to get the big head or anything :laugh:

Drafter-T
Jan 16th, 2005, 10:33 PM
We kinda got off track on the topic for this thread, but I sure am curious to hear from other racers as to which type of controllers they use.

Also, I've noticed in the last couple of days on my Logitech DFP that when I play TOCA 2, my calibration seems to be a bit off center. It's like the wheel kinda pulls to the left a little. It doesn't seem to affect my control much, but I definitely have the sensation that I'm pulling from the left alot.

It's almost like a spring busted inside my wheel maybe?? I've tried re-calibrating it inside TOCA 2 with no luck. Maybe I need to try the calibration in GT3? I may try that next.

FATT47
Jan 17th, 2005, 02:49 PM
We kinda got off track on the topic for this thread, but I sure am curious to hear from other racers as to which type of controllers they use.

Also, I've noticed in the last couple of days on my Logitech DFP that when I play TOCA 2, my calibration seems to be a bit off center. It's like the wheel kinda pulls to the left a little. It doesn't seem to affect my control much, but I definitely have the sensation that I'm pulling from the left alot.

It's almost like a spring busted inside my wheel maybe?? I've tried re-calibrating it inside TOCA 2 with no luck. Maybe I need to try the calibration in GT3? I may try that next.

:scream: I think we tend to get off track because we need some more views and opinions in here, what's with all the lurkers readin pushin the view count goin up and not postin some opinions, Come On Racers get in here and post! :cussing:

Bummer about your wheel, try unplugin the adaptor and and replugin it, I hope your PS isn't startin to do what mine did, remember my wheel started actin up?
Have ya sent in your PS yet for the one time free fix?

Drafter-T
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:50 PM
:scream: I think we tend to get off track because we need some more views and opinions in here, what's with all the lurkers readin pushin the view count goin up and not postin some opinions, Come On Racers get in here and post! :cussing:

Bummer about your wheel, try unplugin the adaptor and and replugin it, I hope your PS isn't startin to do what mine did, remember my wheel started actin up?
Have ya sent in your PS yet for the one time free fix?
I'm not having any trouble with Disc Read Error, which is I think what you were having. But all this started the other night when I put in GT3 and ran a couple of races there. Then I ran a race in NT2004 and come back to TOCA and it's pulling just slightly to the left. You can even look at the wheel and see that it's just off center, maybe a 1/2 inch or so.

It doesn't affect my control any, except that I can feel it pulling a little, or I get that sensation anyway since it's off center a bit.

FATT47
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I'm not having any trouble with Disc Read Error, which is I think what you were having. But all this started the other night when I put in GT3 and ran a couple of races there. Then I ran a race in NT2004 and come back to TOCA and it's pulling just slightly to the left. You can even look at the wheel and see that it's just off center, maybe a 1/2 inch or so.

It doesn't affect my control any, except that I can feel it pulling a little, or I get that sensation anyway since it's off center a bit.

Well Sony told me the disc read error isn't always what happens when the lazer reader is startin to go bad, they said sometimes it just doesn't pick up some features of the game.
The disk read error is mostly attributed to the blue back discs.

Try this, when ya get into a single player ToCA race, before ya get the flag to go, pause your game and turn your wheel to the left and then turn it to the right, like more then just 90degrees each way and let it center itself each time, then see how it feels once the race starts.

Drafter-T
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Well Sony told me the disc read error isn't always what happens when the lazer reader is startin to go bad, they said sometimes it just doesn't pick up some features of the game.
The disk read error is mostly attributed to the blue back discs.

Try this, when ya get into a single player ToCA race, before ya get the flag to go, pause your game and turn your wheel to the left and then turn it to the right, like more then just 90degrees each way and let it center itself each time, then see how it feels once the race starts.
Yeah, I tried that. Even tried going into the calibrations settings and changing it up. It's weird because it looks centered until I start the first race, then right before the green flag it kinda kicks left.

I think I'm going to go back into GT3, since that's where it started, and do the wheel calibration there, then go back to TOCA and see what happens. I may be way off base, but it's worth a shot.

Drafter-T
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I'm scratching my head about this now. I went into GT3, went straight to the wheel calibration, came out and ran a race, everything was fine. I thought it was fixed.

Went back into TOCA, got into a race and right before the green flag the wheel kicked to the left like it has been doing. Went into the TOCA calibration and turned the wheel all the way, each way. Let it come back to center on it's own and it appeared to come back to the right spot.

Went back into another race and again it kicked to the left right before the race started. Now, it's only moving about 1/2 inch, maybe even just 1/4 inch left when it does it. Not much, but it's just enough that it kinda feels weird when I steer. But it didn't start doing that until just a couple of days ago.

It's got to be a calibration issue with TOCA, right? But I come out of the calibration with everything looking just right. I'm lost on this one. I may try some of my other racing games just to see what they do.

Drafter-T
Jan 18th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I contacted Codemasters about this and here is what they told me:

In the controller options, turn the wheel full lock right and then full lock
left. This should solve the problem.

However if it doesn't, centre your wheel and then reset your Playstation
making sure that your wheel remains centred.

I've tried turning full lock in the calibration with no luck. When I get home tonight I'll try centering it and resetting the PS2. I'm pretty sure I've done that already, but not necessarily intentionally, so I'll give it another shot tonight.

FATT47
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I contacted Codemasters about this and here is what they told me:

In the controller options, turn the wheel full lock right and then full lock
left. This should solve the problem.

However if it doesn't, centre your wheel and then reset your Playstation
making sure that your wheel remains centred.

I've tried turning full lock in the calibration with no luck. When I get home tonight I'll try centering it and resetting the PS2. I'm pretty sure I've done that already, but not necessarily intentionally, so I'll give it another shot tonight.

Hmmm, Logitech's reply sounds like the process I was tryin to describe to ya, but I use to do that when I was about to start a race.
I also use to do this with my DS controller, before a race I would rotate the sticks 3 times to the left and then 3 times to the right, it always seemed to give the steerin a good solid feel, dunno if it was just my imagination, but hey, whatever works right.

Drafter-T
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Hmmm, Logitech's reply sounds like the process I was tryin to describe to ya, but I use to do that when I was about to start a race.
I also use to do this with my DS controller, before a race I would rotate the sticks 3 times to the left and then 3 times to the right, it always seemed to give the steerin a good solid feel, dunno if it was just my imagination, but hey, whatever works right.
Well, it was Codemasters and not Logitech, but either way, I've tried that many times with no luck.

Guess tonight I'll try the second part of their reply. I'll get into TOCA, let the wheel get off center like it has been doing, then move the wheel to center and reset the PS2.

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure I've done that already, just not on purpose... so maybe it will work if I pay attention to what it's doing. It's just odd that it's happening in TOCA and not anywhere else.

FATT47
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Well, it was Codemasters and not Logitech, but either way, I've tried that many times with no luck.

Guess tonight I'll try the second part of their reply. I'll get into TOCA, let the wheel get off center like it has been doing, then move the wheel to center and reset the PS2.

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure I've done that already, just not on purpose... so maybe it will work if I pay attention to what it's doing. It's just odd that it's happening in TOCA and not anywhere else.

Whoops! :scream: sorry bout that, me no pay attention :cussing:
Sounds like it's just gotten itself out of calibration for ToCA then, hope ya get it straight, I don't want ya hittin me and messin up my paint job tomorrow night :blergh:

Drafter-T
Jan 19th, 2005, 09:49 AM
After trying Codemasters suggestions several times last night, it didn't work. I e-mailed them back and now they are saying I should try taking my Dual Shock controller out and turning the vibration off while I'm using the wheel. I'll try it tonight, but I have my doubts....

I'm thinking now that my save file is screwed up and I'm going to have to start a new one if I want the pulling to go away. The reason I think that is last night I took my memory card out that has TOCA on it. Moved my other mem card to slot one. Started a brand new career and the pulling was gone. Ran the career all the way to 17% in the couple of hours I messed with it and had no pulling.

Went back to my original save file after resetting the PS2 and the pulling was back.

That's what I was afraid of, but I'll try Codemasters latest suggestion tonight before I quit using my current save file or delete it or anything.

FATT47
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:22 AM
After trying Codemasters suggestions several times last night, it didn't work. I e-mailed them back and now they are saying I should try taking my Dual Shock controller out and turning the vibration off while I'm using the wheel. I'll try it tonight, but I have my doubts....

I'm thinking now that my save file is screwed up and I'm going to have to start a new one if I want the pulling to go away. The reason I think that is last night I took my memory card out that has TOCA on it. Moved my other mem card to slot one. Started a brand new career and the pulling was gone. Ran the career all the way to 17% in the couple of hours I messed with it and had no pulling.

Went back to my original save file after resetting the PS2 and the pulling was back.

That's what I was afraid of, but I'll try Codemasters latest suggestion tonight before I quit using my current save file or delete it or anything.

Hmmm, ya know me with all that saved file lingo LOL, if ya do that are ya goin to be able to run the DTM's and V-8's, I thought ya had to get those in your career?

Isn't there a way to just delete your game prefs on your memory card before ya put a game in the tray?
Dunno?

Drafter-T
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Hmmm, ya know me with all that saved file lingo LOL, if ya do that are ya goin to be able to run the DTM's and V-8's, I thought ya had to get those in your career?

Isn't there a way to just delete your game prefs on your memory card before ya put a game in the tray?
Dunno?
I'll check, but I'm 99% sure with TOCA 2, it's all in the same file. I know alot of games save seperate options files, but I don't think TOCA does.

I will have to unlock the DTM's and V8's, but I don't think that would affect online. Seems like all the cars are available online, if I remember right. I'll have to go in write down all my setups... that will be the worst part. :frust:

But, I'm not going to delete anything just yet. I just have a strong feeling that Codemasters is going to conclude that the save file has gotten corrupted when all this is said and done. I'll try taking out the DS tonight, but I can't imagine what that could do. You never know though...

FATT47
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I'll check, but I'm 99% sure with TOCA 2, it's all in the same file. I know alot of games save seperate options files, but I don't think TOCA does.

I will have to unlock the DTM's and V8's, but I don't think that would affect online. Seems like all the cars are available online, if I remember right. I'll have to go in write down all my setups... that will be the worst part. :frust:

But, I'm not going to delete anything just yet. I just have a strong feeling that Codemasters is going to conclude that the save file has gotten corrupted when all this is said and done. I'll try taking out the DS tonight, but I can't imagine what that could do. You never know though...

I don't know for sure either, if I have those cars and host, if it's like most online games you should be able to have those cars also.
The setups now is a different story, see, I told ya ta make a setup log as ya went along :cussing:, I have all mine in my log if this happens to me :zip:

Oh man! the dreaded DS, I'd be lost if I had to use that for racin, what about your other DF wheel?

Drafter-T
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:42 AM
I don't know for sure either, if I have those cars and host, if it's like most online games you should be able to have those cars also.
The setups now is a different story, see, I told ya ta make a setup log as ya went along :cussing:, I have all mine in my log if this happens to me :zip:

Oh man! the dreaded DS, I'd be lost if I had to use that for racin, what about your other DF wheel?
No, they don't want me to use the DS, they just want me to take it out when I'm using the wheel. I guess they think it could be conflicting with it somehow. I've had it in there since day one, so I'm not sure what that could accomplish, but we'll see.

That's a good question about the other DF wheel though. I ought to try it and see if it pulls too. In fact, I guess I could try the DS and see if it pulls, just to see if it does. I've got no intention of racing with it though, LOL.

FATT47
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM
No, they don't want me to use the DS, they just want me to take it out when I'm using the wheel. I guess they think it could be conflicting with it somehow. I've had it in there since day one, so I'm not sure what that could accomplish, but we'll see.

That's a good question about the other DF wheel though. I ought to try it and see if it pulls too. In fact, I guess I could try the DS and see if it pulls, just to see if it does. I've got no intention of racing with it though, LOL.

Come on man, race with the DS, I need the points :lick:

Yeah, I leave my DS plugged in all the time also, I doubt that's the problem.
You've unplugged your adaptor before ya start the game I would figure, then turn off the game and plugged it back in?

Drafter-T
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Come on man, race with the DS, I need the points :lick:

Yeah, I leave my DS plugged in all the time also, I doubt that's the problem.
You've unplugged your adaptor before ya start the game I would figure, then turn off the game and plugged it back in?
Not sure what you mean by adapter, but yeah I always unplug the wheel from the USB port when I'm done playing and I have tried disconnecting the power to the wheel also, but all that's for is force feedback anyway. I've tried just about everything short of throwing it out the window, lol.

FATT47
Jan 19th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Not sure what you mean by adapter, but yeah I always unplug the wheel from the USB port when I'm done playing and I have tried disconnecting the power to the wheel also, but all that's for is force feedback anyway. I've tried just about everything short of throwing it out the window, lol.

I always call the box on the end of the power cable with the wall plug connector in it the adaptor, that's what they always use to call those things that had to have less juice then house current to run em.
I always unplug that from the wall when I'm done with my wheel and I leave the USB cable plugged in all the time.

Drafter-T
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Just to update the situation, I told Codemasters what I thought about my save file being corrupt and they've never heard of that being a problem. But they want me to get to the point in my new career mode where I can race the DTM's and V8's, since I told them that's mostly what I race.

After thinking about it, the cars early on in the game really do feel loose and kinda hard to control, so I probably wouldn't feel the pull as much as I do with the tighter cars later on in the game.

I'm starting to think Codemasters has never heard of this before and they don't know what can be done. To their credit, they've tried to help, they just don't seem to have the answer.

I may or may not keep going with that new career mode. Since the problem is pretty much just a minor annoyance so far, I may just accept it and move on. I still have good control, it's just that I know it shouldn't be pulling left like that. :disturb:

FATT47
Jan 20th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Just to update the situation, I told Codemasters what I thought about my save file being corrupt and they've never heard of that being a problem. But they want me to get to the point in my new career mode where I can race the DTM's and V8's, since I told them that's mostly what I race.

After thinking about it, the cars early on in the game really do feel loose and kinda hard to control, so I probably wouldn't feel the pull as much as I do with the tighter cars later on in the game.

I'm starting to think Codemasters has never heard of this before and they don't know what can be done. To their credit, they've tried to help, they just don't seem to have the answer.

I may or may not keep going with that new career mode. Since the problem is pretty much just a minor annoyance so far, I may just accept it and move on. I still have good control, it's just that I know it shouldn't be pulling left like that. :disturb:

Ya know the more and more I hear ya speek of all this the more I seem to think I had the same thing happen to me one time back when I was playin NASCAR 2005 which was the game I got the wheel for.
Ya know me with my memory LOL, but now it seems like I can really relate to the feel ya say you're havin.

I can't remember if it just went away on its own, or if I actually did something, I remember it was on Dega (Duh! LOL) on the long staights where it was very noticable.
Unless I'm wrong, there wasn't any real calibration feature in 2005, been a while now, I sure wish I could remember why it stopped doin it?

There's no way your center saturation settin could have gotten off is there?

Drafter-T
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Ya know the more and more I hear ya speek of all this the more I seem to think I had the same thing happen to me one time back when I was playin NASCAR 2005 which was the game I got the wheel for.
Ya know me with my memory LOL, but now it seems like I can really relate to the feel ya say you're havin.

I can't remember if it just went away on its own, or if I actually did something, I remember it was on Dega (Duh! LOL) on the long staights where it was very noticable.
Unless I'm wrong, there wasn't any real calibration feature in 2005, been a while now, I sure wish I could remember why it stopped doin it?

There's no way your center saturation settin could have gotten off is there?
I don't really know. The thing that gets me is the problem is only in TOCA. I've tried it in NT2004, GT3 and even NFSU and the wheel is perfectly centered with no pull in those games and that's a pretty good variety of racing games.

If I go into the TOCA calibration and turn the wheel all the way left and right, I let it come back to center on it's own and it looks like it's in the right place on the wheel itself and up on the screen.

Then right before the race starts and the 900 deg mode kicks in, the wheel moves to the left just enough to tick me off, lol.

FATT47
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I don't really know. The thing that gets me is the problem is only in TOCA. I've tried it in NT2004, GT3 and even NFSU and the wheel is perfectly centered with no pull in those games and that's a pretty good variety of racing games.

If I go into the TOCA calibration and turn the wheel all the way left and right, I let it come back to center on it's own and it looks like it's in the right place on the wheel itself and up on the screen.

Then right before the race starts and the 900 deg mode kicks in, the wheel moves to the left just enough to tick me off, lol.

That is wierd man, I have no idea then.
Ya didn't turn to hard to the left maybe bottom out turn to far and actually tweak your wheel left on the shaft?
Is that even a possibility? I dunno.

Hey, what is that little bar graph up by our avatar, below our Dialed In and Runnin Low names?
I see it and some have little colored notches goin to the right?
Some interestin things here LOL

Drafter-T
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:40 AM
That is wierd man, I have no idea then.
Ya didn't turn to hard to the left maybe bottom out turn to far and actually tweak your wheel left on the shaft?
Is that even a possibility? I dunno.

Hey, what is that little bar graph up by our avatar, below our Dialed In and Runnin Low names?
I see it and some have little colored notches goin to the right?
Some interestin things here LOL
I think that's some sort of a rank feature. I noticed mine went up after 50 posts.

I've wondered if I messed up the wheel somehow, but it works ok in all the other games, so that makes me think it's just TOCA somehow. Maybe I messed up the force feedback enough to where it's only messed up in the way TOCA uses it, I don't know.

I'm going to try tinkering with it tonight some more, but I'm almost out of ideas here. :ouch: Maybe like you said earlier, it will eventually straighten itself out.

FATT47
Jan 20th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I think that's some sort of a rank feature. I noticed mine went up after 50 posts.

I've wondered if I messed up the wheel somehow, but it works ok in all the other games, so that makes me think it's just TOCA somehow. Maybe I messed up the force feedback enough to where it's only messed up in the way TOCA uses it, I don't know.

I'm going to try tinkering with it tonight some more, but I'm almost out of ideas here. :ouch: Maybe like you said earlier, it will eventually straighten
itself out.

LOL, yeah, after I asked ya about that little bar mine went up a notch so at least I know the feature what ever it is is workin.

I hope ya get it goin and or goes away, at least by Sun. after we race, I need ya to be as distracted as possible LOL

I hope my stupid cable comes back fast pretty soon, it still seems slow today and if I go out later I'll run by the office and do some screamin, ya know I enjoy that LOL