PDA

View Full Version : Virtua Fighter 4

Killuminati
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:36 AM
Does anyone else want this game? i think it looks sooooo good.

DEADPOOL623
Mar 18th, 2002, 01:50 AM
I haven't seen anything on it yet, where can I get some screen shots or something?

Mercury Shadow
Mar 18th, 2002, 06:41 AM
DEADPOOL, goto ps2.ign and they'll have it. I think it looks like a great fighting game, better than Tekken 4 (it's competition).

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 18th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Ok im personally dieing to play this game,when i saw video clips of it i was shocked it looked amazing

GaseousSnake
Mar 18th, 2002, 10:34 AM
This game is da bomb its better looking than TK4

Spirit
Mar 18th, 2002, 12:40 PM
great game, my friend will buy it asap, and I'll be sure to beat his a$$ in it =P

Mercury Shadow
Mar 18th, 2002, 03:10 PM
ahhh, you gotta let him win sometimes, spirit! Otherwise he'll throw down the controller and never wanna play again :)

Killuminati
Mar 18th, 2002, 04:01 PM
GameSpot has a free reveiw up now :). IGN has the gay insider sh*t.

MADRUCKIS
Mar 19th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Yo
I just just saw the commercial man. It blew my mind, especially when some chick taunts "DO YOU WANNA PLAY AGAIN?"
Hmmmm, I need a game to play. I'll pick it up tommorow, I'll see how it is!

Spirit
Mar 20th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Mercury_Shadow
ahhh, you gotta let him win sometimes, spirit! Otherwise he'll throw down the controller and never wanna play again :)
hehehe, he just quit =P

Killuminati
Mar 25th, 2002, 09:33 PM
this game is soooo good. i got it the other day. i am best with Kage and Lei Fei

Mercury Shadow
Mar 26th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I heard Lei Fei was the best and the drunken old man was the worst.. haha

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 26th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Well everyone has their own opinions lol :laugh:

Jango Fett
Mar 27th, 2002, 12:03 AM
The only reason lei fei is so good is cuase hes a beginner character. On the character select screen you can see on the left side where all the characters info is it says what they are, ie. expert, intermediate, and beginner. With begining characters practically all the punches and kicks link together for easy combos, but with experts ie. Drunken old man, and Akira you have to actually practice and become good with them

Killuminati
Mar 27th, 2002, 07:28 PM
there is no "better" or "worse" characters. the game is totally balanced, it all depends on how well u play.

Jango Fett
Mar 27th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Thats what I was saying. I was just telling people why everyone thinks lei fei is so good, becuase hes a begginer character

Mercury Shadow
Mar 27th, 2002, 11:29 PM
If I were to buy VF4, I'd be buying it mostly to play as a single person experience. is it worth $45 for 1 player modes? I've been reading about the 'train your own character' of course arcarde mode, and that other mode where you get different treasures when you win (kumite??)

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 28th, 2002, 01:07 AM
It has a training mode how does that work?

Mercury Shadow
Mar 28th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Well, even though I haven't played it, I heard that you take a character and you teach them different moves and stuff. Then your character fights the computer or your friends (you don't control it) and while it fights, if he does a good move, then you can tell him so! Seems pretty cool.

BlackThornn
Mar 28th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mercury_Shadow
Well, even though I haven't played it, I heard that you take a character and you teach them different moves and stuff. Then your character fights the computer or your friends (you don't control it) and while it fights, if he does a good move, then you can tell him so! Seems pretty cool.

So it's kinda like Tamagachi.... only really violent?

O_o

(Just got the game.. is kinda confused.. kicks all kinda ass with Kage, though)

Also, does anyone know how you pick different costumes for your characters? I want the charcoal gray armored Kage..

Mercury Shadow
Mar 28th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by BlackThornn

So it's kinda like Tamagachi.... only really violent?

O_o

(Just got the game.. is kinda confused.. kicks all kinda ass with Kage, though)

Also, does anyone know how you pick different costumes for your characters? I want the charcoal gray armored Kage..

haha, violent tamagachi, that's a good way to put it. I think you have to go to kumete (i don't know how to spell it, but you'll see it) mode and once you win a lotta matches, you get different accessories for your characters

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 28th, 2002, 12:20 PM
So is the character you take through this get stronger,and then you can use him against your friends and kick there @$$

nanjij
Mar 28th, 2002, 01:36 PM
ive seen clips on both and by far tk4 looks much better

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 28th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Hey SSSnake i might buy it this friday when its pay day if i have enough money because im buying a second control too this friday

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 28th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Neo_Soldier28
Hey SSSnake i might buy it this friday when its pay day if i have enough money because im buying a second control too this friday

Sweet you'll have to bring it over so i can play it.

Mercury Shadow
Mar 28th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake
So is the character you take through this get stronger,and then you can use him against your friends and kick there @$$

Yeah, your guy gets more experienced the more you play with him. So you can have it on 2 player mode and have it kick your friend's ass!!

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 28th, 2002, 09:16 PM
I wont be able to bring it over this weekend since im having company here all weekend but maybe next weekend

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 28th, 2002, 10:21 PM
I found some more information on that training section of virtua fighter that i thought you might find interesting
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Training Day

Most fighting games have some kind of training mode that lets you learn the moves by working through a list on screen. VF4 takes this a step further, though, letting you control everything about the training mode so you can work on specific weak areas. The system is extremely effective, and it takes very little time to notice a discernable difference in your playing style. Whether you set up specific challenges, like Lau's fast high-punches repeated over and over, or you work through the tests that the game sets up for you, it's all remarkably useful. After spending about 30 minutes training with Lau, my game had improved dramatically.

As if the challenge of working through the ranks isn't enough, another part of the game that's habit-forming is the artificial- intelligence training. While an ambitious-sounding addition to the game, the results of fighting with a character that "learns" are more enjoyable than I could ever manage to get across to you just in this review. Think of it as a Tamagotchi that fights and you may appreciate the compelling experience it provides. When your A.I. is good enough to really whale on the competition, you'll feel an odd sense of pride in its achievements.

As you can probably tell from the enthusiasm that we have for the game, there really is very little that's wrong with it. If you have any doubts, consider this: While I've always been a fan of fighting games, I've never been a really hardcore fan prepared to invest hours and hours in mastering a fighter of this kind. VF4 converted me. I can't get enough of it. Not many games are so great that they can help influence your taste, but this one really is something special.
John's score: 10

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 28th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Now that sounds like a very interesting training mode.And since neo you can't bring it over i'll have to rent it

x157anz
Mar 29th, 2002, 02:55 PM
I never play fighting games but I played this on the X-BOX in hmv the other day and i was playing on it for like 30 mins, its amazing and loads of fun. so itl be the same on the ps2 wont it :ghost:

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 29th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Fighter on the xbox,wouldn't that be DOA3.If that was what you were playin its not coming to ps2.

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 29th, 2002, 03:13 PM
I just got Virtua Fighter 4 today and i like it i got a lot of moves to learn and i mean a lot its really cool and im glad that i bought it

Mercury Shadow
Mar 29th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Neo_Soldier28
I just got Virtua Fighter 4 today and i like it i got a lot of moves to learn and i mean a lot its really cool and im glad that i bought it

Is it worth getting for the single player experience?

I picked up the new issue of EGM and it got a rating of 10,10,9.5... phew, that's just as high as FFX, GTA3, and MGS2 probably.

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 29th, 2002, 03:57 PM
The multiplayer value is really high and so is the environments and the single player is pretty cool too but i just got it ill let you know what i think about it more when i get a chance to play it more

Killuminati
Mar 29th, 2002, 06:48 PM
the single player experience is really worth it. Kumite is insanley fun and addictive. my Kumite record:

Player:Kage Maru
Name:Blade
Wins:60ish(dont remember)
Losses:20somethin
this game is CHALLENGING. i'll tell u now if u dont want to spend time learning moves and practicing u will get shit-kicked.
in Kumite u get items for your character and new colors for clothes and stuff....its really deadly. the computer isnt like "cheating" kind of hard but actually uses skill to beat u. in TTT i dont know how many times the computer has cheated.

VF4 has really good AI and everybody should get....even if u dont like Fighters

BowevelJoe
Apr 1st, 2002, 07:50 AM
i rented it and it was pretty easy to me but heck i played DOA2 nonstop for like 3 months and i played this one ragged for the 5 days i had it, it was pretty dang sweet, kinda pissed me off tat the backgrounds werent interactive like DOA2'sbut hey, soul caliber 2 will be out soon...ahh..sweetness..

Hadoken
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:49 PM
I am at 2nd dan with lei fei.
It took a hell of a long time to go from 1st dan to 2nd dan. lol
I left my ps2 on this afternoon and left the house. I had my AI fighting for himself. I heard that if i leave him to fight for a few hours, he`d gain ranks in just a few hours.
So i left, but when i came back, someone turned off my ps2!!
what a fricken waste of time. geez...
I leave it on again tonight and see what happens.

Edit: ok, been playing for the past... 45 minutes maybe.
Lei Fei is at 3rd dan now!
here are his stats...

2nd update: ok, i`ve let my A.I. fight for about... 5, maybe 6 hrs now. I left and came back, and he`s at 5th dan now!

Ring name: Hain
Win/Loss:179/49
Win ratio:78%

-Special Item-
VF1 Character
Old Wn Pose 1
Old Win Pose 2
Training Stage 1
Training Stage 2

-Items Won-
Blue Heaven Cap
Talisman Necklace
Wooden Greaves
Meditative Greaves
Wyvern Greaves
Leather Greaves
Steel Bracelet

ok, items and stats have been revised!
I`ll let him fight for a few more hours.

Mercury Shadow
Apr 4th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Man, I am sooo eager to play VF4. I really really need to go out and buy it.

When do you think stores will lower the prices???

Hadoken
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:47 AM
lower prices? i think that might be a while.

well neways. my A.I. is at 7th dan now! he WAS at 8th dan. well at least i think so, since he has the 8th coordinate available.
I guess i need to spar with him some more.

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 7th, 2002, 04:40 PM
I own the game now and its one of the best i ever played.As for the branches of dans and kyu's what the difference.

Hadoken
Apr 7th, 2002, 06:02 PM
when you first start out in kumite mode with your A.I., it`ll be at 10th kyu. Which is the lowest rank possible. At this stage in time, your A.I. is practiclly a moron, so you have to spar with it so it learns moves so it can fight for itself.
Whenever you win a fight in kumite mode using your A.I., it will gain experience points. every time it increases 100 points, it will go up a rank.
So its 10th kyu, 9th kyu, 8th kyu, and so on and so forth.
Until you reach 9th kyu, then when you win that last match to get past 1000 experiance points, your A.I. will gain the rank of 1st dan.
After that, experiance points will no longer be used. And your A.I. will gain ranks depending on winning points. Which is how many times your A.I. has won.
From 1st dan to 10th dan, you have to get 5 winning points. at the beggining of each dan rank, you will have 5 winning points. To gain a winning point, you must win against a challenger, which will increase your winning points by 1. after you get 5, you will increase a rank. if you lose 5 winning points, then you will go down a rank. so its +1 or -1 depending on wether you win or lose matches.

go to gamefaqs.com, there should be a guide that could help you learn about ranks.

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 7th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Ok got you on that part.How bout counters i read the instructions on how to do them but i can't execute.Also i always get my ass kicked my the 1 dans and up and the end boss of the game how do i beat them.I get one or two matches up on them and they come back and kick my ass.

Hadoken
Apr 7th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Each character has different counters, and some characters cant counter at all.
It depends on who your using. Check the game manual and look at your characters moves. It should show you they`re reversals. for instance, lei fei has a reversal move he can use. actually, its more of a stance, and when he`s in that stance, if the opponent happens to punch him, he will reverse it.
If you have trouble, you can always practice your A.I.`s reversals in one of the training sections.

with the 1st dans and up. all you have to do is train your A.I., the more you spar with it, the better it will fight. And make sure you teach it as many moves as possible. And make sure when you train it moves, it understands how to perform each one. You should do the move first, then let your A.I. try. If if messes up, there will be a question mark in that box on the screen. That means that your A.I. is having problems learning that move. Keep showing it the move, or try to do only parts of the move, then gradually increasing.
For instance, your trying to teach your A.I. the move with 5 punches in a row, and it can only do 3 punches. You should do 3 punches so your A.I. gets used to it, then increase to doing 4 punches, when it learns that well, move on to doing 5 punches.
If your in battle and you see a "?" in the box on the screen, that means your A.I. tried to perform a difficult move and couldnt pull it off. You should try and train it more.
But there are some moves your A.I. cant do until its at a high rank. you should still try to teach it as much as possible. If it doesnt learn a move after quite a few tries. Skip that move and move on. Try again later after it has gained a few ranks.
And in battle, you will see the word "play" in the box. That means your A.I. is looking for some advice. It usually appears after it does a good move. The word play with then appear. Press O if you liked the move and would like your A.I. to perform it more often. And press X if you didnt like it and would like your A.I. to perfom it less often.

About the last boss(Dural), well... you just have to practice and know your moves. If your having a lot of difficulty beating it, just quit and set the difficulty down a level and try again. It shouldnt be too hard if you know your moves well.

Did i forget anything else? If you need help, just ask. Or try gamefaqs.com, they have a lot of guides that have helped me.

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 8th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Thanx that helped alot.I got a new stragety to fight the end boss.Im going to build up my a.i and let it fight her :evil:

Mercury Shadow
Apr 9th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by SSSnake
Thanx that helped alot.I got a new stragety to fight the end boss.Im going to build up my a.i and let it fight her :evil:

haha, I see how it is SSSnake, make your AI do all the work while you sit back and relax!

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 9th, 2002, 06:37 AM
The only thing is getting him to fight good enough to beat the boss.Its going to take a lot of sparring.

Hadoken
Apr 9th, 2002, 07:51 AM
yeah, training him is the tough part.
My A.I. can only beat the last boss on easy or very easy. He gets his ass kicked on normal.

BlackThornn
Apr 9th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Argh! I've gotten to 1st Kyu with my Kage-Maru character, but I keep getting beaten on now by 1st-3rd Dan AI players and even lesser ranked ones than me! What's with this? Are the AI players really that difficult to beat, or do I just suck?

(The characters I have trouble with are Lei Fei, Lao..uh.. something <Pai chan's dad> and Pai Chan.. they're just so cheapass, they knock me down once then keep attacking while I'm in the air, taking away at least half my life! :mad: Any tricks to beating these cheap @#(@&#$'s?)

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 9th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Has anyone fought a hero.My friend has and there like the top rank and says there impossible.

BlackThornn
Apr 9th, 2002, 07:42 PM
I fought one that said "Champoin" instead of a rank like 1st Dan or 4th Kyu.. Won two, whereas he won three (champoin was Jacky character called something like "Tin Tin")

Hadoken
Apr 10th, 2002, 05:57 AM
lol! I`ve fought dozens of champions and heros. Their not all that tough if your A.I. is strong enough.
heck, I`ve even encountered conquerors, masters, and a whole mess of other high ranks. just wait till your A.I. gets stronger, then you`ll be fighting them all the time.

And blackthornn, your A.I. is always weak against certain kinds of opponents. even if that opponent is at a lower rank than you.
I use lei fei, and my A.I. always has trouble fighting jacky`s.
There really is no way to help that, except get your A.I. to use moves that work more often on them.

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 10th, 2002, 04:16 PM
I use jackie as my a.i and hes unstoppable now.I taught him every move in the book and he absolutley kicks ass.I can can't even beat him now.

Hadoken
Apr 10th, 2002, 04:19 PM
haha, what ranks are you fighting? 10th kyu`s?
You are gonna run into trouble later in the game. Somewhere around 7th or 8th dan probably. Thats when you have to fight those high ranked mofo`s. But if you train your A.I. well enough, it should be quick and easy.
btw, whats your current status sssnake?

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 10th, 2002, 04:37 PM
My A.I is rated at 2nd dan.My person is at 1st dan.

Hadoken
Apr 10th, 2002, 11:44 PM
wha?
That didnt make sense.:peoples:

BlackThornn
Apr 11th, 2002, 01:11 AM
I was talking about me, personally. I keep getting whalloped on with any character once I reach about 3rd Dan. I've tried Pai Chan, Lei Fei (did best with him), and Kage-Maru.

My AI, it seems, is just a complete dumbass.. no matter how I train it it gets beaten down by pretty much any character it comes up on. This is after starting over and trying your AI Training tips up there, Hadoken.

It's a great game, but I think just not to my taste. I'm gonna see if I can trade it in for Maximo.

Hadoken
Apr 11th, 2002, 07:05 AM
what?
it STILL gets beaten down even after trying my tips?
thats just wrong man. either you dont let him fight enough, or his stats are way down.

Mercury Shadow
Apr 15th, 2002, 06:28 PM
I just rented VF4 and it's amazing!! The only problem is, i don't know how to clear the data that's on from before... hmmm. I can't start out a new Kumite.

Killuminati
Apr 15th, 2002, 08:18 PM
u have to go to Data Files and create a new player........and then u can go through Kumite by pressing select at the character selection screen to bring up a list of ppl u have created

Mercury Shadow
Apr 16th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Ohhhh, thanks man. I'll have to try that when I get home from school today.