PDA

View Full Version : PS3 details emerge from the primeval stygian abyss..

Infernal Mass
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:27 AM
details below..

Reeves also said that much of the PSX's functionality will be included in the PlayStation 3. "I think you can probably guess that the PS3 is intrinsically linked with the PSX," he said. "You could probably envisage having the PSX and [then] branching out to the PS3, which has all-singing, all-dancing features, with maybe a hard-disk drive." Reeves said that Sony may also offer a cheaper, stripped-down version of the console. "There might be a normal PS3 for gamers who just want to play the movies and have better games," he continued. "So you might see two versions. One is a home server; the other is for someone who can't afford whatever it might be--600 or 700 euros ($730 to $850)--and wants just to pay 200 euros ($245) for a new-generation games machine."

Interestingly, Reeves said Sony may release a repackaged, rebranded PlayStation 2. "Maybe also--something we haven't talked about--is that we made a change from the PlayStation to the PSOne. So we may, in the course of time, make some cosmetic changes to the PlayStation 2 and come out with something that's a little bit sexier but probably [will present] no changes to specs or anything like that." This speculation is backed up by the fact that Sony registered the trademark "PStwo" a few months ago.

Reeves also talked about Sony's intention to get into the broadband distribution of games and movies, which he said would resemble how games are currently downloaded onto mobile phones. However, he said the broadband effort would take time and would face hurdles. "You can't just go in and say, 'Download a movie' to try to get 50 or even 100 million people to do that," said Reeves. "Those consumers don't have the knowledge base."

goodman
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks, IM, admittedly if the ps3 is due for release next year the information has been thin to say the least. Since i didnt immediately jump into playing my ps2, and still have several good ps2 games to play, no telling what will happen with me and the ps3 (gah that rhymes). :hyde: