PDA

View Full Version : Twin Snakes: Thoughts on the graphical difference between Old and New

kupoartist
Feb 15th, 2004, 06:02 AM
IGN have a side by side comparrison of the PS1 and GC versions of MGS1 (http://cube.ign.com/articles/492/492463p1.html), which I'm sure many of you will be interested in seeing.

Looking at the two versions, I was surprised how well the original PS1 version holds it's own. In certain subtle ways, I actually prefer the PS1 version! Sure, the textures and lighting are technically far superior, but stylistically, the textures and lighting just don't have the right... intention, or something.

For example, look at the textures on the floor of the dock: they're completely different, and the PS1 version just has... more character to it. Looking at the GC version of that area, the clean floors just don't look as lived in as the PS1 version's - Shadow Moses to me was always a decades old facility, literally crumbling to pieces in certain areas. The new version just looks so... clinical. Like it's been scrubbed, mopped and dusted every day for the last 50 years. This carries over into the other iindoor areas - why so smooth. Also, look at the Truck in the PS1 version - it looks far less bland, even though it looks so low definition!

Next up is the lighting. Sure, there are probably more light sources and a far more dynamic environment in the GC version (something i'm sure you'll get once its in motion), but theres a boring, mono-tone lighting scheme throughout the indoor areas on those shots, whereas you get a high contrast, more atmospheric Green scheme in the PS1 version.

Apart from those, the GC version does look better - note how it is blessed with the same excellent camera direction seen in MGS2, and i'm sure it'll look amazing in motion... Just don't go throwing away your original copies - MGS on PS1 was a wonderfully atmospheric game with excellent attention to detail that deserves to be kept as an example of how low-tech games could still look good!

Nice to see the codec hasn't dispensed with the nice 2D portraits from the original... they are masterpieces in their own way and extremely stylish.

Vulcan Raven
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Yeah, I'll Stick With My PS1 Version.

i'll hire out a GC and try it out, but personally...nothing can erase those memories of MGS gaming times...and finding out that The PAL cards activated MG. And all those fun experiences on the first game....playing it with improved visuals and on a different console .....
(..come to think of it...playing MG on a GC Controller..wonder how that would go...the PS2 contorllers just right for it...MGS2:Substance wasnt as good on XBOX with the controls....just like Halo would be a nightmare to play with a PS2 Controller!) You wont be getting the same kicks as your first time through MGS..but not for MGS newcomers..that will be a whole new experience for them..i mean......some PS2 owners bought MGs2 and never even knew a PS1 MGs Game even existed! and if they played it, probably would have stamped it 'crappy' and inferior and not even turned a blind eye to it.

But i thought MGS had great graphics at the time, and for its time it probably did have good graphics for its time.

You can't Beat Metal Gear Solid.

Its Tactical Espionage Action at is Best.

-Vulcan Raven-

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 16th, 2004, 01:25 AM
I believe the new version kicks the shit outta the old version. Out with the old in with the new. This new game is going to kick all kinds of ass. You know why the old version seems to have character, its because the texture ability of the ps1 was low and it gave it that old look. Plus you talk about Shadow Moses being old and run down. Plus the facility was not spose to be portraited as run down. It looks a lot better on the cube.

Oh yeah about the comment about playing Halo on a ps2 controller. It works quite well infact, just thought I'd add that.

I think a lot of you are taking some shots at it because you don't have cubes so find something wrong with it.

kupoartist
Feb 16th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Il Palazzo its because the texture ability of the ps1 was low and it gave it that old look.
what the? so old consoles make the textures look old... :shock: ....

what i mean was, the textures look "old" because they look worn... no matter how low res they look, you can still make out the cracks, Its a personal view, but it just looks better from an atmosphere and context perspective. An Arctic Circle underground dock would be exposed to freeze thawing and stuff = cracks, not silky smooth floors.

Originally posted by Il Palazzo Plus you talk about Shadow Moses being old and run down. Plus the facility was not spose to be portraited as run down.
nothing is really said either way about the age of the facility... its just hard to believe that any building in such extreme weather conditions wouldn't look a little rough around the edges.

Originally posted by Il Palazzo I think a lot of you are taking some shots at it ... [etc]
Not me though: i just find fault in everything. rraarrrghhh or something.

Vulcan Raven
Feb 16th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Everybody Has Their Own Veiws on things....and everybody has a right to their own opinions......so its just going to be a clash of what YOU thinks better.....personally...im just waiting for MGS3....and damn can i not wait!!!!!

And IL Palazzo, wasnt it you who said in my Thread about MG remakes, that u sed Re-makes suck...or was that someone else???

Forgive me if im wrong.

I can't bloody wait for Snake Eater.....what do you guys reccomend to play in the meantime?? Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow? does that look good? could you guys/gals reccomend i play in the Meantime? (and dont say T.H.U.G or Max Payne 2..i've got them.)

thanks....

~Vulcan~

Off Topic: I was flicking through my PS2 magazine the other day, and i looked at the AUS/NZ Release Schedule...and in TBC 2004 it said Metallica: The Game...what the?? it said under format: Action...what do you do? go round prying and slaughtering Children and smashing Guitars??? Strange......

Beretta55
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Vulcan Raven

Everybody Has Their Own Veiws on things....and everybody has a right to their own opinions......so its just going to be a clash of what YOU thinks better.....personally...im just waiting for MGS3....and damn can i not wait!!!!!

And IL Palazzo, wasnt it you who said in my Thread about MG remakes, that u sed Re-makes suck...or was that someone else???

Forgive me if im wrong.

I can't bloody wait for Snake Eater.....what do you guys reccomend to play in the meantime?? Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow? does that look good? could you guys/gals reccomend i play in the Meantime? (and dont say T.H.U.G or Max Payne 2..i've got them.)

thanks....

~Vulcan~

Off Topic: I was flicking through my PS2 magazine the other day, and i looked at the AUS/NZ Release Schedule...and in TBC 2004 it said Metallica: The Game...what the?? it said under format: Action...what do you do? go round prying and slaughtering Children and smashing Guitars??? Strange......
I think it was Daedaelus that said remakes suck.

Personally i think twin snakes will be really,really good. But it wont be the same as the original since nothing really beats an original for me. Doesnt mean twin snakes will suck though, im really looking foreward to it and is one of my most wanted games this year. Thank god march isnt that far away now:laugh:

Daedaelus
Feb 17th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Vulcan Raven

Forgive me if im wrong.

That was me. I said remakes suck.

Back on topic: Personally, I prefer the new version to the old one. I don't care much for graphics, but the old one had some massive, inexcusable flaws. The textures look like they could have been drawn by a two-year old. And, lo and behold, jaggies galore! Jaggies were everywhere, and they gave the game such a disgusting, blurry look. The first time I saw MGS, I thought "Man, I really need glasses..." until I realized that is just how the game looks, throughout.

Lets face it, if MGS didn't have such a solid plotline, and wonderful gameplay to boot, no one would buy it. Based on graphics, MGS gets an F.

BTW: I did say remakes suck, but I'm going to buy this game. Why? Twin Snakes is more than a mere remake. New features have been added, new moves for the player, better graphics, and it looks far more polished than most other NGC games.

kupoartist
Feb 17th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Daedaelus
Lets face it, if MGS didn't have such a solid plotline, and wonderful gameplay to boot, no one would buy it. Based on graphics, MGS gets an F.
thats a bit too harsh... by 1998 console standards, MGS was among the best out there. The animation was enough to save it from that "F" of yours... and any blurryness or lack of definition is down to the hardware on which it ran. I don't see any 3D game on the PS1 released before it that looked better....

merylsilverburg
Feb 17th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I also agree that the PS1 version of MGS is much more superior. Probably because it is graphically, "old". But, that defines as "classic", IMO. Because the graphics for the PS1 had that classic look to it, it lets gamers just feel more "in tune" with it. The graphics just set the mood and atmosphere for the game...and I really enjoyed it. With "MGS: Twin Snakes" on GC, the graphics would, of course, be much better and appeals visually. However, this is a distraction because it makes me feel like people would be paying more attention to the visuals than the actual gameplay. Of course, the gameplay will remain the same, but it will be redone with higher enemy A.I. and all the same stuff from MGS2 (hanging off ledges, fps shooting, etc.). And this just seems too "new", IMO. But, I guess that's what remakes are all about...which can be good and bad. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I believe I read somewhere that Kojima-san wanted to do MGS with better visuals, but at the time (1997/1998), the technology wasn't powerful/advanced enough for his vision. But now that the GC is out, he said he is really pleased to do this remake. Ah...I guess it's good he's happy, but I just hope he knows that he made millions because many people enjoyed the game regardless of visuals.

Nonetheless, I will still probably buy "Twin Snakes" just to have it in my collection, but I would still favor the PS1 version in the end.

Reid
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:07 AM
I sort of agree that there's something about the original's graphics that has a better kind of feeling to it. The environments seem to be more alive - the remake has a bit of a sterile look to it.

Just the same, I think it looks really great and I'm even considering buying a Gamecube just to play this one, with the price drop and all. Is there any possibility of this being ported onto PS2 in the future though?

Anyway, I thought Metal Gear Solid remade with the Sons of Liberty engine and graphics would be really interesting. This should be a really good title.