PDA

View Full Version : Sony ready to spend big on PS3 technology

Vic Viper
Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:47 PM
SCE readies "cell" chip plants, says it will begin production earlier than previously stated.

TOKYO--Sony announced today that it will be investing 120 billion yen ($1.14 billion) towards prepping production facilities to mass produce its next-generation microprocessor. This will be their second capital investment allocated toward these facilities, following a substantial investment made last year.

Almost half of the investment will be spent on Sony Computer Entertainment's production line in Nagasaki, Japan. The factory is dedicated to creating chips such as the "cell" chip, which adopt a 65-nanometer processing technology on 300-millimeter silicon wafers. About $340 million will be invested in IBM's factory located in New York. That factory will be dedicated to the same microprocessor production as SCE's line in Japan. Known to be the microprocessor chip that Sony intends to use in the next PlayStation iteration, the "cell" chip and attendant technology has been under development by Sony, IBM, and Toshiba since the spring of 2001.

The remaining $290 million will be spent on building a new plant in Oita, Japan. Unlike the other two plants that are mainly focused in creating the "cell" chip, this plant, adjacent to an existing Toshiba operation, will be dedicated towards creating 65-nanometer system chips with embedded DRAM that Toshiba and Sony developed in 2002 to delivers high-performance in broadband data processing.

The three manufacturing plants are scheduled to have a total production capacity of 15,000 chips per month. While the companies originally announced that production would begin in late 2005, the schedule has been pushed forward to early 2005.

linkified (http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6087307.html)

Infernal Mass
Feb 6th, 2004, 02:13 AM
this is good news, sony seems to be learning from it's mistakes.

Spank-A-Thon
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Infernal Mass

this is good news, sony seems to be learning from it's mistakes. If selling 60+ Million consoles worldwide is a 'mistake', I hope with PS3 they make a bigger one... :laugh:

- S

Infernal Mass
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:24 PM
good.

although, i was refering to the north american ps2 launch. a shortage of chips and other materials were the cause.

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Hopefully the hardware specs of PS3 does not disappoint, unlike the ps2.

Vulcan Raven
Feb 13th, 2004, 12:35 AM
???? According to Sony, there is still lots of untapped technology and hardware to be discovered in the PS2 by the games developers..

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 13th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Vulcan Raven

???? According to Sony, there is still lots of untapped technology and hardware to be discovered in the PS2 by the games developers..

Yes according to Sony, they made the damn thing so they would say that. You read articles by unbaised people and the console comes in dead last in the power when compared to the other 2 consoles.

Spank-A-Thon
Feb 13th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Il Palazzo

Yes according to Sony, they made the damn thing so they would say that. You read articles by unbaised people and the console comes in dead last in the power when compared to the other 2 consoles. And it came out, what - like nearly a year before XBox and NGC? A year is one long-assed time in technology terms (look at PC video cards for example) - considering it is the oldest of the 3, games don't look bad in comparison.

Hell, even the Dreamcast still looks great!

Problem is, if SONY release PS3 first then of course M$ and Ninty are going to make their console technically better.... But as I and other people have said previously - hardware specs alone do not make a great console...

- S

Vulcan Raven
Feb 14th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

And it came out, what - like nearly a year before XBox and NGC? A year is one long-assed time in technology terms (look at PC video cards for example) - considering it is the oldest of the 3, games don't look bad in comparison.

Hell, even the Dreamcast still looks great!

Problem is, if SONY release PS3 first then of course M$ and Ninty are going to make their console technically better.... But as I and other people have said previously - hardware specs alone do not make a great console...

- S

Nicely Put Spank-A-Thon.

But Lets just Hope that if the PS3 is released before say, the XBOX2 or GC2 or even (i say this loosley) some next Gen Sega Console.....(no..not a Dreamcast 2...well it could be!)

Then we just better hope that the PS3 has enough Specs to keep the games getting better and better..because if the XBOX gets lots more untapped power...THEN the XBOX2 comes out...the PS3's practicly Fucked...but as Spank said..the Specs dont exactly make a console/game. And im going to stay true to sony and keep.."workin on my play-station tan!" ( i dunno if you have those PS2 ads abroad (away from Aussie and NZ...i live in New Zealand By the Way..)

~Vulcan~