PDA

View Full Version : So how did they stack up ? (Consoles)

Vicious_2003
Jan 1st, 1970, 12:00 AM
Okay its simple, after you vote for what you think is the best console thus far give a grade to each system thats on the market . Each system has been out a while and has had ample time to show its stuff. So how did they live up to your expexctations ? Heres mine

Microsoft/XBOX = C+

Id give microsofts efforts thus far a C+. They've managed to take a console in its very first year up against VERY stuff competition and establish quite the fan base. Perhaps not abroad but certainly here in the states. On top of that they have a game that is concidered by many to be one of if not THE best games ever made, that being, of course halo. On top of that they've equipped the X Box with all the ementities, such as 4 controller slots, a top of the line DVD player and a hard drive that eliminates the need for those pesky memory cards. Not to mention they have the best online gaming network BAR NONE

Some of its downfalls...not an ABUNDANT selection of good console specific titles, a horribly large controller upon release, and poor support from overseas consumers. Also they dont have a very large selection of titles for the RPG lover such as myself

Sony/Playstation2 = B-

The task for sony wasnt quite as difficult . They allready had numerous great console specific titles under thier belt such as final fantasy and the metal gear franchise. They really just had to stick to the formula of keeping a steady flow of titles headed our way. And that they have, releasing more far more titles thus far than the other two major consoles. Its backwards compatibility was a hit for hardcore PS1 fans. And they also have arguably the best online game available in Socom 2.

The downfalls howver bring it down a notch or two. Its damn near inexcusable to stick with just 2 controller ports. It sorely neaded a hard drive included, and the DVD player isnt exactly the best. On top of that theyre online plan isnt the most stable and hasnt stacked up to the popularity of X Box Live.

Nintendo/Gamecube = C-

To this point Nintendo has established itself as a clear number 3 to me. They do have a very good number of console specifics to brag about, I.E- The Mario Franchise, Smash Bros, Mario Cart, the list goes on.

Its downfalls though are tough to over look, even with a 100 dollar price tag. IMO the controllers are dowright terrible. Way to small...way too awckward. There was NO need for those tiny little discs, id rather have the ability to play DVD's myself. And lets face it here people, Nintendo is still over marketing to a younger audience. That may or may not be a good thing in your eyes, but in mine, its bad..real bad. And of course there is the fact that they have ignored online gaming like it was a fad that would pass. I think its clear now that it isnt and Nintedno will, and has suffered the consequences

Up to this point id giev the nod to Sony for having the best console. Theyve just got way too many great franchises to themselves . But its clear that Microsoft isnt going to be taken lightly. And the future of Nintendo has been questioned due to thier efforts and sales on the Cube. Some changes are in desperate need and I have a fealing this big secret theyve got brewing might just be it.