PDA

View Full Version : Is my PS2 giving up?!?

Zephyr
Jan 5th, 2004, 05:23 PM
OK, I know about the disc read error that PS2s experience and I may have slight trouble with that but my PS2 is going for the overall weird effect. Here are the symptoms:

1 - Obviously I sometimes get a disc read error.

2 - Some games (Splinter Cell, GTA3, GT3) sometimes when I load the disc it syas please insert a Playstation/2 format disc.

3 - Sometimes while playing a game the disc makes quite a mad whirring noise.

4 - When watching DVDs (2 Fast 2 Furious etc) it sometimes says cannot read disc halfway through a movie or when I click a menu option.

5 - Ive noticed also that at the beginning it can take up to 10 seconds for the intro to appear on the screen.

6 - Sometimes I have to put Diagnosis on just for it to read a disc.

Please guys any help apart from buying a DVD lens cleaner and I dont wanna void the warranty. Im getting a cleaner from Amazon as this is posted. Is my PS2 bust or is it just dust, lint etc.

Preventer Wind
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Your ps2 is in the early stages of the "breakdown". Try a lens cleaner first. If that does not work try playing it in a different position (ie if you have it vertical put it so it is horizontal.) If after that is all done you can:

a. Throw it away and buy a new one
b. Trade it in (not many stores will take it or
c. Break the warranty.

Breaking the warranty and cleaning out your ps2 really does help. My first ps2 survived another 6 months of hard use. No store will take it so if it gets really bad I highly suggest you do it anyway (unless you have a warranty).

-PSX-
Jan 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM
ok Zephyr, this is what I did

1 - Bought a DVD cleaner

2 - Run it through at least 10 times if you havent cleaned it for over 6 months

3 - Reset put a disc that it used to have toruble with (game) and check.

4 - Try a torublesome DVD

5 - Try any CD you may have been having trouble with

6 - If any of these discs dont work put the clean disc back in and run through 3 more times and try again with each disc and hoepfully you should only have to clean once a month afterwards. Good luck!

airbornecow
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:07 PM
DO NOT use a lense cleaner. they usually screw things up even more in the long run.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY A READER.
just phone up sony and tell them about your roblem, then they should wave the repair costs for you. this means you will get a new reader for free.

-PSX-
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:08 PM
umm airborne, he is in the UK - I am also and I don't think you can get support like that over here. Also, llens cleaners are PROVEN to work..Mine did and my PS2 aint giving up - they make them work better, not worse. :ghost:

airbornecow
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:15 PM
i dunno...
the first time i used a cleaner, it screwed my PS2 to the point where it wouldn't turn on.

DSgamer
Jan 27th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by airbornecow

i dunno...
the first time i used a cleaner, it screwed my PS2 to the point where it wouldn't turn on.

ur just silly, doesnt a cleaner just clean the lense not the power supply?

-PSX-
Jan 30th, 2004, 05:14 PM
exactly gamer, laser lens cleaners simply brush past the lens quietly and swiftly to remove lint, dust or dirt from it. It doesn't harm it because it doesn't press on the lens.