PDA

View Full Version : Need For Speed Underground-who's excited?

Redpyramidhead
Oct 14th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Need For Speed Underground is just around the corner. Who's excited? I've seen some screen shots and descriptions of previewed versions and it seems to be shaping up quite nicely:cool:

_RED_ stuff

Spank-A-Thon
Oct 14th, 2003, 01:16 PM
I'm not so sure about it to be honest.

The very first NFS on the 3DO was simply fantastic, and then the PC version went on and improved on the original.

Things started to change with NFS3 - i.e. the Hot Pusuit mode. Don't get me wrong though - it was great fun but a very big step away from the more serious original.

Porsche Challenge became tiresome - I'm not that fond on Porsche's to begin with so the lack of variety in cars ruined it somewhat for me.

Hot Pursuit 2 seemed to get the series back on track - but I'm not sure about Underground.

Whilst I don't doubt that the tracks will be superb as always, I'm saddened to see them take out the exotic sports cars. That's what I loved about the NFS series - Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini and so on... Underground sounds like it's gonna be based around tuning Japanese cars suchs as Lancers, Scoobies and so on... Cars that I've already driven to death in the Gran Turismo series. Cars that have appeared in numerous other car games (Max Power Racing, Auto Modellista and Tokyo Highway are but a few that spring to mind).

I want the exotic cars back - cars that are fast because they have pedigree, not because someone's stuck a tank of NOS into it... A Lancers is a 4 door saloon for gawd's sake, ditto the scoobie. Maybe not the Skyline but they're still semi-ordinary cars.

Ferrari's are sexy - Porsche's are sexy....

Still, I'll probably download the demo to have a butchers, but I'm not as excited as I could have been.

- S

Redpyramidhead
Oct 27th, 2003, 01:55 AM
I understand your concern completely, but I was taking it as a side project for them. That's what Porsche Challenge was. I'm sure we'll have all the Ferraris and Lamborghinis we can stand in the next NFS game and so much more. I say enjoy this little side venture of their's while it's here. I think the realize that these seemingly two different classes of cars dont belong in the same game necessarily and that's why they are doing this with NFS: Underground. They should also come up with some kind of NFS game featuring all muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. Now THAT would rule!!!:cool:

_RED_ stuff

Redpyramidhead
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:55 AM
I picked this up tonight! Well, 3:30am to be more exact. The guy in the store looked at me like I was crazy to be shopping that late. What does he expect to see in a 24 hour Wal-mart? Ghosts? And on top of that, he was awake, wasn't he? And then after the comment he made I thought I'd be friendly, thinking that his comment was simply meant to make conversation while he had to walk me up to the front register (they are very paranoid about theft in that store,) so I tried to make idle chat with the guy. He didn't answer anything I said so my new theory is he just thought I was a freak for being out that late. I doubt he would have made the same comment to the middle-aged woman, who was browsing around the same department. Me in my black leather jacket, silvery rings on my fingers, and "scary" demeanor being more susceptable to criticism of my lifestyle of being out late more than others, perhaps.

Wow, I digress. I believe this thread was about Need for Speed: Underground, which I picked up. I believe it will add nicely to my collection of NFS games. Sure, this one will lack the excitement of racing those almost untouchable supercars from Europe and American muscle fiends (well I'm not sure if the Ford Mustang is in this game yet or not,) but I have NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 for that. So it's all good. IN case you are wondering, I haven't played the game yet. So I will have to get back to you all on it. I think I could have said that to begin with making this post about 2 sentences long. Oh well, woops.

_RED_ stuff

Vicious_2003
Nov 23rd, 2003, 07:29 PM
Are they going to have name brand vehicles such as ford, vevendi, Chrystler, etc. Or is it all going to be generic ?. If so im not the least bit interested

The_Senator
Nov 26th, 2003, 12:47 PM
On the commercial they showed a close up on one of the cars and it had the Volkswagen emblem on it, so I'm pretty sure it does have brand vehicles!!

Redpyramidhead
Dec 6th, 2003, 10:23 PM
This is the best driving game I have ever played other than Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. Period. About the real cars questioned, yes the game's cars are all real liscensed vehicles. The vast majority of them are made by japanese car companies.

Some of the cars available so far are the Toyota Celica, Mitsubishi Eclipse and Lancer, Acura Integra, Nissan Sentra, Huyundai Tiburon, Mazda RX-7 and Miata.

Some of the ones I have yet to unlock are the Toyota Supra, Acura RSX and a couple other Acuras, a Nissan Skyline and Z and more.

_RED_ stuff

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 8th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Yeah I enjoy this new game, but I must say I don't like the online mode to much. Pretty much 3/4 of the racers on there will not accept any challenge and when you do get one they lag out and disconnect. Other than that its all good.

-PSX-
Jan 8th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Even though I haven't picked this up yet I have played it and the detail, gameplay, graphics, controls, cars, tuning and everything else are perfect right down to the colouring of the brake pads!!:laugh:

Whatever EA Games may have done in the past this is the most beautiful driving game yet. Even the flames for the exhausts are included and people who know me offline know Im addicted to this sort of stuff.

This is the perfect game for anyone who loves any of these: The Fast & The Furious (+2 Fast 2 Furious), Gran Turismo, cars, speed and beautifully crafted driving games.

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 12th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I succumbed to temptation and decided to get this...

Initially it was very cool to see my own car in the game (the Honda Civic) - usually it's only the Hatchback that appears - so that was initially exciting... however...

Is it just me, or is it quite difficult to see where you're going? The screen just seems so blurry and hence gives me a headache... I appreciated they're going for a particular effect, but jeez man - compared to the crystal clarity of GT3, NFSU is truly migraine-inducing!

I've got just over a week to see if it grows on me (cos Game have a 10-day returns policy) but at the moment I'm veering towards a thumbs down purely because of the visuals.

I may end up downloading the PC version cos I know that has an option to turn off the blur effect. Oops, did I say download, obviously I meant buy...

Reminds me of GTA: Vice City - the blur put me off til I discovered you could turn it off - so why no option in NFSU??? Grrr!

And on a final moan, why no user-defineable controls? Every NFS game thus far has allowed you to set up you pad in your own way - but not Underground...

It's not all bad though, the music is good, the presentation is good and when it's not moving - it's looks great!

- S

-PSX-
Jan 12th, 2004, 04:21 PM
To be honest, when I played I think the blurring effect was absolutley gorgeous and excellent - even if you cann't turn it off. But why would you want to? It adds to the feel of the race and even if it does produce migraines I'll be off the site for a while with loads of em :lmao:

Piggle_humsy
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Man I hate seeing that damn advert all the time.. yes I want the game god dammit! But I still have nothing to play it on. :cry:

I love the Need for Speed games, one of my fave racing games and everytime I see that advert I get that little rush and then I feel sad.
I can't wait till my birthday comes up or something.. maybe i'll win the lottery! *fingers crossed*
Although after reading spanks post and others im split about the blur.. will it annoy me or will I like it..maybe I wont notice it.. i'll have to wait (and wait and wait and wait) and see.

Piggle :roll:
x x x x

-PSX-
Jan 30th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Piggle, heres a picture of the blur in action.. because I'm friendly - maybe give ya a taste...

Link (http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/nfsu_103103_golf2.jpg)

Redpyramidhead
Feb 29th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Piggle, the blur only occurs at extra high levels when hitting your nitro and the normal "blur" like effect when driving at higher speeds is akin to what it would look like rushing through any place at such a speed in real life and I feel this adds to the experience if anything. My advice is if it gives you a headache...slow down that vehicle! This game has made me feel a little dizzy myself, but honestly I liked it. Heh. I think the graphics are very clear, especially once you get into the groove of things amidst an intense race.

In other news... the NFS team is working on a new game for the series which hails back to the types of cars found in NFS:HP2. Or so I have heard.

_RED_ stuff

Piggle_humsy
Sep 28th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Well now I finally got myself a ps2 I've been trying to get my hands on this game and still haven't managed it yet :(
I keep trying to get it on ebay but it always ends up going for too much. Poop!
Piggle :roll:
x x x x