PDA

View Full Version : Squaresoft SELLOUTS!?

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 6th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Will Squaresoft sell out for the money??? Do you think that Squaresoft will sell out for the money and put the FF series on XBOX or do you think that they will keep it there. I read in a mag that even tho sony bout up a lot more stock that still doesn't mean that they have any control over who Squaresoft will develope games for. What do you think they will do

GaseousSnake
Mar 6th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Squaresoft has already betraied sony by trying to develope some ff games for the GBA and you know any game that goes to the GBA will surely visit the GC.

MS has alot of money and they will definately take over Squaresoft immediately they have the slightest chance.With squaresoft out of sonys grasp.............bye bye ps2

kupoartist
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Neo_Soldier28
Will Squaresoft sell out for the money??? Do you think that Squaresoft will sell out for the money and put the FF series on XBOX or do you think that they will keep it there. I read in a mag that even tho sony bout up a lot more stock that still doesn't mean that they have any control over who Squaresoft will develope games for. What do you think they will do

The whole buy up of stock thing was blown way out of proportion: Squaresoft still largely own themselves and no-one owns very much of them. Even Sony, so it is possible they would develop for other platforms. Actually, no. They already develop for the Wonderswan Colour in Japan, and WILL release FFXI on the PC, so they are already multi-platform.

The idea of them "selling out" is therefore unlikely. Gaseous Snake, do you really think they would sell out to microsoft? True, they do have a X-Box Dev kit, but then they also have a Dreamcast dev-kit with no games to show for it. And in all honesty, would you choose a console that will bomb, or the PS2.

As for the GBA comment made by GaseousSnake, people seem confused that a GBA game is in development. Its a long way off even being given the go-ahead, and any GC games depend on how nice the GC looks to Square.

Personally, i'd like to see FFs on the GBA at least, and I doubt Square's allegience to Sony will be harmed by any such developments.

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:32 PM
I think Square will also make games for XBOX if the price is right. Square could really use the money I bet.

IcyMourdor
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Square could do many things with the FF series or all of their games.

They could go to the X-Box. The increased amount of profit that they will gain could help them develop more games. Sony really doesn't have a say in what Square does. Even if Square does make games for the X-Box, Sony won't stop talking to Square because a lot of the SCEA's income comes from Square's games.

However, Square really doesn't need the money as much as people think they do. They recently released FFX International in Japan and FF6 in Europe.

It's hard to say what Square will do. As long as they keep making games with Sony, I don't care.

Spank-A-Thon
Mar 7th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by GaseousSnake
Squaresoft has already betraied sony by trying to develope some ff games for the GBA and you know any game that goes to the GBA will surely visit the GC.This is absolute nonsense! How have Square betrayed SONY?? If anything Square betrayed Ninty by moving from the SNES to the PSX!

Anyway, the had-held market is completely different. SONY have no intetest in that at the moment. And why would a GBA game visit the NGC?? Considering a GBA is basically a hand-held SNES it's hard to see why any GBA games would move to the NGC.MS has alot of money and they will definately take over Squaresoft immediately they have the slightest chance.With squaresoft out of sonys grasp.............bye bye ps2 Firstly, Square have got to want to be taken over. And with SONY being 10% stakeholders they would at least have some kind of say. It may be more likely that M$ would sign exclusivity licences for some Square games - but I doubt that too.

Say if M$ did buy out Square - would this mean the end of the PS2? Hardly. There have been over 15 million PS2's sold worldwide - any business who ignores that user base is stupid. And anyway, Final Fantasy games are not the reason why people bought PS2's (or PSX's for that matter), especially here in Europe seeing as though FFVII was the first we ever got!

- S

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 7th, 2002, 09:25 AM
About seeing it on GC you wont see that happen anytime soon they also talked about the bad blood between nintendo and squaresoft and they said you most likly wont see them developing for GC anytime soon

kupoartist
Mar 7th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
Anyway, the had-held market is completely different. SONY have no intetest in that at the moment. And why would a GBA game visit the NGC?? Considering a GBA is basically a hand-held SNES it's hard to see why any GBA games would move to the NGC.

Whilst a GBA game wouldn't visit the GC, Nintendo would be unlikely to be satisfied if Square just developed GBA games: The PS2 is competition for the GC. Why would nintendo pay Square money that would ultimately be used to stab the GC in the back?

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:00 PM
That's a good point artist

BlackThornn
Mar 10th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Squaresoft putting out titles for the Nintendo systems isn't a betrayal, or them selling out. They're in the business of making money. Nintendo came first for Final Fantasy, anyway. So even without logic I wouldn't really mind.

If they completely migrate over to Nintendo again (I don't think that's even possible with Sony owning as much stock as they do) Then I'd be peeved, because I don't have a gamecube; but I'm pretty sure that Final Fantasy titles will still be produced for both consoles.

Now, if Square started putting products out for the Xbox, then I'd consider them sellouts. As I stated in a thread in the General forum the Xbox is just a fad fiananced by rich boy Bill Gates. I've always thought of Square as being more about actual quality than leaning foward pop-culture appeal, which IMHO is what the box represents.

Killuminati
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Square is making titles of the GBA and maybe GC. got to gamespot in there VG News section u'll see it says "Final Fantasy comes back to nintendo" or somethin like that.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2853838,00.html

thats the addy