PDA

View Full Version : Latest News on PlayStation 3

Spank-A-Thon
Oct 8th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Righty Ho, got some news for you all on PS3.

Sony Says No To Nvidia
Date Added: 2003-09-03 10:40:24

Sony backs away from reports linking them with nVidia and confirms backwards compatibility for PS3...

After last weeks comments from CNN, Sony today moved to clarify the situation regarding Nvidia producing graphics technology for the Playstation3.

The Japanese firm denounced such claims, because it has its own skilled chip R&D teams and manufacturing plants; so as with the PSOne and Playstation2, we can expect custom designed graphics technology to power the PS3.

In separate Playstation3 news, Ken Kutaragi finally confirmed that the machine would offer backwards compatibility with both PSOne and PS2 titles. It’s always been a certainty for us since SCE advertised for emulator engineers, however hopefully this official confirmation will quell some of the doubters out there.

Source: Link (http://www.totalvideogames.com/?section=Read%20News&id=3885&gameid=3403&format=000001) And another...
PS3 In 2006
Date Added: 2003-10-08 11:35:58

SCE release new details on the CELL processor and hints at PS3 release date...

Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today confirmed that the ‘CELL’ processor - a radically new multi-processing CPU designed to power the Playstation3 – would go into mass-production during the latter half of 2005.

As a first step, SCE will install a test production line at a semiconductor plant in Nagasaki from November where the first runs will be carried out. Toshiba has confirmed that it will begin mass-production of the CELL processor in 2004, however it’s believed SCE are reluctant to begin manufacturing the Playstation3 so soon.

Essentially this is confirmation that the Playstation3 won’t appear until 2006; our guess would be a Japanese launch in March 2006.

Source: Link (http://www.totalvideogames.com/?section=Read%20News&id=4024&gameid=3403&format=000001)As soon as I find any more info I'll post it here.

Fully backwards compatible!!! Sounds good! Gimme some of that!

By the way, this is for the mods - is it worth making this thread a sticky? Just so we don't have loads of PS3 threads as more news is released.

- S

trunks69420
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:23 AM
wow.. great news man... I was always wondering if they were gonna make it BWC... thank god.. i didnt want to have to cry like a little girl...again:)
i think its a good play on SNE's part to keep PS3 off till 2006.. partly because it gives them a chance to really load up the launch title lists.. and you also have more games that'll be coming to ps2 for a few years still:) oh well.. my thoughts for the moment.. off to do some work.. bbl

Infernal Mass
Oct 8th, 2003, 10:35 AM
well good news there..nintendo and microsoft should really take notice on this whole backwards compatibility deal..

Uchiha Sasuke
Oct 8th, 2003, 03:44 PM
I wish Sony would allow Nvidia to produce there graphics chip. Things would probably be much better if they did.

Gadzoox
Oct 10th, 2003, 07:43 PM
Does backwards compatability mean that the PSone and the PS2 games'll work on it too?

ssjtrunks13
Oct 10th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Yep, that's what the PS2 has. That happened to be my biggest concern.

Vicious_2003
Oct 11th, 2003, 01:08 PM
I think it would be good if they put in a port to insert your PSX(Portable) games into and play over your PS3 on a larger screen (Just for kicks). I wouldnt buy a portable gaming system myself but I think it would be a nice novelty ability for those who did

Gadzoox
Oct 11th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

Yep, that's what the PS2 has. That happened to be my biggest concern.

Alright, good! I 'm totally with you on that one!

dan da man
Oct 11th, 2003, 04:57 PM
What What spank is back!:shock: :shock:

Probally been back sometime like, but first ive seen of you!

nice news on the ps3, make it 2005 sony!:D!!