PDA

View Full Version : Wolf In The Snow (can someone read this and just tell me what you think?)

Dark Angel
Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:56 PM
Wolf In The Snow

The crosshairs swept through the snow storm, settling on the door to the south a few feet in front of her. The wind blew across, bringing the sounds of her howling wolves to her ears. The sound bought comfort and steadied her nerves. She was never nervous before a battle but this time she had allowed herself to become susceptible to her feelings.

Sniper Wolf had heard the explosion of the Hind D at the top of the communication towers to the south not long before, and knew that he would be here soon. Not long. Liquid’s parachute had descended to the left of her, but she blocked it out of her mind. Wolf’s previous loss at the underground passage had left her bitter and wanting revenge. Solid Snake. The Legend. The name felt sour in her mouth, but she found herself fascinated by him. Their previous battle had let her learn his techniques; she would not be beaten again. It was her vow as a Kurd, and her honour as a wolf. Her prey would now be allowed to get away.

Wolf slowly moved the sight, waiting, just waiting for her prey to show itself. The PSG-1 was rested on the snow. She was lying down alongside it, still. Wolf had hidden herself behind a small snow covered ledge, positioned to hide herself from the door’s view, yet not obscure her aim. The coldness of the snow bit at her body, yet she felt nothing. She kept her eye pressing to the scope, aiming the crosshairs slightly to the right of the door, as to not let the laser sight be shown directly to anyone coming through. The wind swept across again. Wolf let herself watch the snowflakes blow across the ground, rising with the heat and wind pockets. The howling of the wind and whining of the wolves filled her ears, becoming all she heard. Wolf allowed her attention to slip slightly as to load the rifle with a six bullet magazine of 7.62 calibre. She slit the bolt across and reached into her pocket. The pills slid into her mouth, where she swallowed them in one go. Quickly, yet smoothly, as not to ruin her aim, she replaced her hand under the chamber of the rifle.

Still waiting. She found herself thinking back to her childhood in Iraq. She closed her eyes, her other senses still tuned to the snowfield, keeping her alert. Her mind took her back to a place as a child, remembering the faces of her parents as they were taken from her, the gas burning their lungs as they breathed it in, the pain as they died. She had been born on the battlefield and had always had to fight to survive. Hussein’s attacks had left thousands dead, and Wolf as a refugee. The government’s of the world had ignored the plea of the Kurd’s, her own people. She fled for her life to the refugee camps on the Iraqi borders. There he had met her salvation, Saladin. He had taken her to the US, the so-called "land of the free". But Wolf could never be free from the burdens she had to bear, and the things she had to endure during the Gulf War. The sounds of gunshots and screams filled her memories. The flashes of blood and the stench of death came rushing back to her. She whipped her eyes open again and the images faded. Her mind was shaken, and she forced it to stay focussed. Her past was gone, there was no changing it and regret would only affect her ability to fight. She reasserted her mental composure and focussed at the world through her scope. Her whole life had been led through a sniper rifle, the horrors she had inflicted had all been done through the scope, as an observer of the battlefield, involved and engaged in the death she was causing.

The door slid open. Wolf remained still, letting her scope be her eyes. Snake walked forward into the bitter snow. He looked around and peered into the blinding snow ahead of him. The wind and snow covered Wolf’s position completely. She watched him, the way he moved. He looked worn from the fight with Liquid in the Hind, but she would exert no sympathy or remorse on him. He was her prey, and a wolf never misses it’s prey. She gradually moved the crosshairs over him, her breathing, slow and controlled. Her heartbeat was minimal due to the diazepam, allowing her perfect aim. He took out his binoculars and scanned the horizon, Wolf felt no fear, she was hidden well from his view. She slowly moved her hand down the bullet chamber and rested it in the trigger cradle. The laser slowly moved down Snake’s body, he was focussed on the ground ahead. He would never know what happened. A sniper’s job was to wait, to see their target through the scope of the rifle. Wolf placed her forefinger on the trigger. Goodbye Snake, my prey, you have fallen at the hand of the wolf, she said quietly. She squeezed the trigger.

Pu the Owl
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:05 PM
OMG!
A Sniper Wolf's fic! I'm amazed! I've never read a Wolf's fic before!You really did a good job: you focused on her character and her past pretty well and you described with detailed information her story and feelings. Also, the atmosphere is perfect for her character IMO.
I must say I liked it very much :)
Are you planning to continue this one?

Hope to read other things from you, I'll look forward to it ;)

Reid
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
I like it, Dark Angel.
I think you really captured Sniper Wolf's character, and, like what Fortune said, the atmosphere really fits.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:38 PM
WOW! That is really good.Sort of like sniper wolfs on told story

Faile
Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:24 PM
Wow !

I think that is probally one of the most emotive and great fanfics I have read on this Forum (not saying that as to be rude or judgemental on anybody else).

Hope to read other things from you, I'll look forward to it

Me too !

Rei
Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:21 PM
That's very good! I hope you will keep on writing about Sniper Wolf, but anything else is ok too ;)

Cannibal Clown
Mar 4th, 2002, 04:40 PM
I very much so agree with Faile on how good this fic is. Your detail and depth you've put into this was great and I hope to see more of it comming from you, or anyone else for that matter.

Keep it up.

"or anyone else for that matter" I'm not insulting anyone, just saying that i hope that everyone here continues to excel at their writing abilities. And if you still aren't good enough, you can always practice on my thread about dreams I guess.

DragonSphere
Mar 4th, 2002, 10:15 PM
I really like how deep you went with your fic about Sniper Wolf, especially the amount of detail you put into it.

Please continue. ;)

Dark Angel
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:32 PM
oooo yay! i'm really glad you like it so much! how should i continue it?

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Its totally up to you how you want to continue.I cant help because i could never think up anything this good

Faile
Mar 6th, 2002, 07:27 PM
I think it stands very well on its own . As a glimpse into a characters mind .

Maybe it needs not be continued ?

Its up to you

Dark Angel
Mar 7th, 2002, 03:13 PM
yeah i dunno if it NEEDS continuing, well everyone knows what happens next anyway! i wanted to keep it vague so it doesnt ruin what happens if no ones played mgs

Faile
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:23 PM
sounds good .

whatever, that fic stands tall in my mind .

of course, expectations are now raised for another fic by you ;)

Pu the Owl
Mar 7th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Maybe there's no need to continue this one, but you can start a new story :D

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 7th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Yeah I agree, this was very well done! I don't think it needs conclusion...what makes it so good is its haziness and I thought the abrupt ending was perfect.

Dark Angel
Mar 10th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Oh great you expect me to write some more........deary me can't you just read the ones i have on fanfiction.net instead? i dont like raised expectations :p

Faile
Mar 10th, 2002, 05:04 PM
nooo ! must be posted here !

the entire forum expects !

Pu the Owl
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Yes, please! Post some of them here!
You know, some members like to read stories, but they're too lazy to go around the web looking for them :D

Dark Angel
Mar 11th, 2002, 06:15 AM
tch fine lazy bums:) i'll put on i've started up, it's not from a game or anything but be nice!